Scaping . . .

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The last two tanks I've built I tried to model after this:
…‘… ƒMƒƒƒ‰ƒŠ[E•ÇŽ†@C.P.Farm ƒAƒNƒAƒŠƒEƒ€ƒVƒ‡ƒbƒv ‰«“êEΊ_“‡
I wasn't very successful, being I haven't had a tank with those dimensions, or access to the same livestock, but you get the picture :)
I think there was a thread a while back (year or two years ago I think, maybe more...) with pictures of Japanese reef tanks, gave me a ton of ideas.

WOW! Those are some SHARP looking tanks. I see why you were inspired by them. Holy Bat Cow Man!! In pic #3 those look like FW Tropical fish. Am I delusional?

Allen :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
That is very cool Mike. Thanks for the link. I am now going to re scape again after all. Damn it!

mps9506

If I remember correctly they are a type of cardinal fish, and only grow to about 3 inches. I could be mistaken on that however. Someone had an ID one them before and they aren't readily available on this side of world.
The closest we have are threadfin or blue eye cardinals.

mps9506

And just for the heck ofit, some other Japanese tanks:
SPLASHE‚¨‹q‚³‚Ü…‘…Љî
As you can see, you don't even notice the rock structure, the emphasis is on the placement of corals, and of course the glass is spotless.
One thing that hasn't really caught on here is the use of spot lighting to accent coral coloration. It is common for them to use red or yellow spot lamps to bring out coral coloration. I'm a fan of tank 4 on this site as well.

Frankie

RS STAFF
That is just incredible! I am a fan of #4 also. Look at #8 and that dosing system. Just warms my heart to see care like this and realize i have a long way to go yet. thanks again Mike!

mps9506

Yeah, wish I could afford 6 programmable dosing pumps :), I think a calcium reactor is a much more efficient economical way to go. :D I like the plumbing on the photo above it.
I need to scan some of the photos I took at the Yokohama aquarium, it reminds me of what I saw there.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Those are some SWEET pics! WOW! Did yall see how that last tank is made? It's a trapezoid.... Holy Bat Cow Man! I wonder how many pieces of scrap they made trying to get that one just right ?!?!?!?!?

mps9506

Don't see too many tanks made that style anymore. The clam or viewing tanks were kind of popular for a while. Most people only had a slanted front glass, but the trapezoid is definitely more unique. It allows you to look at the corals and clam at more of a top down angle and get a great view of the colors, kind of like looking at your corals from the top, but without the distortion.