Scaping . . .

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm not an artist.... but something like this?

hammock.jpg

Jason

yes but it's not a suspension type thing.. the rocks go all the way down to the base instead of like they are floating. I'll try and see what I can do...

Allen :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
This is terrible but it gives a "rough" idea of what I mean

Attachments

• bad_rock.JPG
    bad_rock.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 47

mps9506

I'm lol at this thread, in a good way :D
I think I know what store you are talking about all. Trust me, you can accomplish that just stacking rocks, you don't have to stack it against the walls, however in skinny tanks sometimes it's hard to do that because the rocks are so wide if they don't touch the back glass they end up touching the front...

Triggerjay

looks like this can be accomplished with just stacking. If the rocks seems to "teter", use some rock putty...

Jason

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I see why you guys took up reef tanks instead of being artist! LOL Im no better:)

That's the truth! Artist I'm not! But hopefully it got a "rough" point across.

mps9506 It's Asheville Aquarium and granted it's probably like a 180g or something like that (it's like 8' long or something) but I'm trying to get a similar look as Dave's main show tank at the front window. Maybe I'll just do a full rock WALL instead.

mps9506

That's the truth! Artist I'm not! But hopefully it got a "rough" point across.

mps9506 It's Asheville Aquarium and granted it's probably like a 180g or something like that (it's like 8' long or something) but I'm trying to get a similar look as Dave's main show tank at the front window. Maybe I'll just do a full rock WALL instead.

I can't remember how large he said that tank was. The benefit of his layout is that it is visable from both sides of the tank.
BTW, has he started expanding his store yet? I haven't been up there in a while.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Allen - Nice sketch. Keep iin mind you'll have more scaping room front-to-back in a 120 than you would a 90. Plus the stand is larger and will hold more stuff :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I can't remember how large he said that tank was. The benefit of his layout is that it is visable from both sides of the tank.
BTW, has he started expanding his store yet? I haven't been up there in a while.

Yeah Dave has done a great job on that tank. I find myself mesmerized when I go over there. I just sit on that couch and drool all over the floor. My tank will be up against a wall so I don't need both sides visible but it will be highly visible from the front and right sides so I need to try and think of a good layout the will play on those views. Maybe have the rock be heavier on the left side and slowly taper down to the right.

Yes he's started the expansion. they have a hole in the wall to the next store and plastic up on the windows in the new part. How MUCH work has been done I don't know because he wasn't there to ask. They had a new girl working and I didn't want to ask too many questions about that stuff because she was already over whelmed by all the different names of everything. she even suggested that instead of using names she wanted to just guve EVERYTHING a number and call it by number because the names were too tough :LOL:

Doni, are you just TRYING to get Me killed with My wife? I have slowly moved from budgeting for a 55 up to a 75 tank. Then I slip in the whole 90 idea and finally get the $$ for the 90g. Now you suggest I go back and slip in a 120g? I am afraid she would notice that it takes a wee bit more water, rock, stand, etc for the 120 over everything else :LOL: All kidding aside I will seriously look into the differences tonight and try to make an informed and at least HALF way intelligent decision. I have my cabinet maker biting at the bit for final tank dimensions so he can get started on the stand and side cabinet for it (it's going to be an "L" shaped thing once it's done.).

One last thought then I NEED to get some work done here to justify a pay check :lol:..... if the tank is placed up against a wall on the back and left side, is there any reason I would want to try and keep the glass clean? I mean couldn't the just be left alone to cover with coralline algae? In that case I could just let the rock STACK up against the left and rear panels. Or am I just still half asleep (only got about 2 1/2 hours of sleep last night)?

mps9506

is there any reason I would want to try and keep the glass clean? I mean couldn't the just be left alone to cover with coralline algae? In that case I could just let the rock STACK up against the left and rear panels. Or am I just still half asleep (only got about 2 1/2 hours of sleep last night)?

You can. Some people like that look. I'm in the camp that I like a black back ground and the sides and back kept free of coralline. I think it contrasts the colors of the coral better and helps make the tank look deeper.
Others like the natural look of the coralline better.
Kind of one of those things that everyone has their own opinion on, and there is no right or wrong, more aesthetic than anything.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I do like that all black back ground for sure. That's how my Nano is (by design) and on my home tank I have painted the back solid black. I like the look of it a lot. I'll most likely do the same with my new tank (which I am ordering right after work for delivery on Sept 1st to the Farmers Market). I'll just have to wait and see which idea "inspires" my wife when the time comes to place the rock.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I like the clean black background and my wife likes the pastel purple of the coraline. Guess who won!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Mine looks like a wall but it is really an island. I don't touch any of the sides front or back. This gives my fish plenty of room to swim and hide.