Saltwater mixing station

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
So I'm sick and tired of lugging saltwater from my LFS so I've decided to buy an RO/DI system and setup a saltwater mixing station. The barrels will be 32 gallon Brute cans from Home Depot (I'm told these are safe). The top one will hold my RO/DI water and by opening the one valve, the RO/DI water will gravity feed to the lower barrel. Once that valve is closed and salt added, the lower valve will be opened which will circulate the water through the pump and back into the lower barrel. When I'm ready to do refill my tank, the circulation valve will be closed and the valve to the barbed fitting will be opened allowing water to flow through the vinyl tubing to the tank. Anyone see any reason this won't work? Or is there anything I can do to improve the design. Thanks!

rosetup1.jpg

imaccat

Looks great. I would add a heater to the saltwater barrel if you are pumping direct to the tank and one really useful part of my set up is having a float valve that controls the RO/DI input, so you can be sure that it never overflows.

Good luck

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
GREAT setup!! :thumber:

Ditto to heater. Keep in mind the salt and water will mix better in "Cooler" water so you'll want to monitor the heater and have it OFF for the mixing and then ON for post-mix.

Now let's figure how to get this automated so you can do a water change from your PC or SmartPhone :) Can you say ProfiLux? :)

PIMPALA

You really dont need the RO/DI barrel. Just pump water directly from the RO/DI unit, into the lower barrel with a float valve. It shuts off when full... you add the salt, let it mix, then pump into the tank. easy.

jpsika08

Sounds Great, I have two Containers also, one for RO/DI and other for mixing, Jason above is correct, maybe just having the mixing barrel would be enough, though, in my case I use the RO/DI container for ATO purposes too, if you're not thinking of having the ATO pump in the RO/DI barrel, then, maybe just use one.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Regarding the heater: I'll have one handy but doubt I will need it often. I live in Florida and this setup will be in the garage, so it will usually be quite warm out there.

Having only one container is an interesting concept. I do like having the option of pulling clean RO/DI water directly out for use in my ATO.

Wouldn't it be nice to do water changes from out PCs?

This is going to save my back a ton of extra work! It's only taken me 2 years to figure out that I needed to stop hauling water from the LFS.

Thanks for the input!!

Bobby B

You really dont need the RO/DI barrel. Just pump water directly from the RO/DI unit, into the lower barrel with a float valve. It shuts off when full... you add the salt, let it mix, then pump into the tank. easy.

I would keep one full of salt and the other full of fresh if not just for top water of but keeping 32 gallon of water on hand for emergency use is smart too.
Were always waiting around for the big quake out here in So Cal.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I would keep one full of salt and the other full of fresh if not just for top water of but keeping 32 gallon of water on hand for emergency use is smart too.
Were always waiting around for the big quake out here in So Cal.

I have some room so my plan is to keep two barrels. This way I will have my top off water and emergency water available at all times.

PIMPALA

I guess if you need a bunch of RO on hand, then do it. But everything in my house is ATO direct from the RO/DI unit, so I have no need to store RO water. Plus, keeping RO sitting around just increases chances of contamination and TDS to go up.

but if you have the space and extra $$, then do it. i'm not trying to talk you out of it... just letting you know it can be simplified.

also, if you do two containers, there is no reason to have the upper barrel gravity feed to the lower barrel. just feed the lower barrel direct from the RO/DI unit. why make that extra step? just put a T on the unit and allow it to fill up either barrel, or both at the same time.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
but if you have the space and extra $$, then do it. i'm not trying to talk you out of it... just letting you know it can be simplified.

also, if you do two containers, there is no reason to have the upper barrel gravity feed to the lower barrel. just feed the lower barrel direct from the RO/DI unit. why make that extra step? just put a T on the unit and allow it to fill up either barrel, or both at the same time.

Thanks Jason, you make some good points. I am a big fan of simplifying designs like this. I will have to think about the design concept and see if I want to change it. My biggest point it to be able to pump water directly from my garage to my tank so I don't have to haul barrels!

PIMPALA

i'm working on a fully automated salt water changing system right now too.

looking at controllers, flow meters, timers, all kinds of stuff to make it basically just a dump the bag of salt in one day, and the next day press a button and it drains the old water, while pumping in the new water.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
i'm working on a fully automated salt water changing system right now too.

looking at controllers, flow meters, timers, all kinds of stuff to make it basically just a dump the bag of salt in one day, and the next day press a button and it drains the old water, while pumping in the new water.

Now that would be nice! I read about one guy that has almost the same thing, he turns a couple of valves in his sump and the sump drains into the basement drain. Goes downstairs, turns a few more and it refills the sump, water change complete!

PIMPALA

exactly! except I dont have a basement, so I am forced to use pumps. lol

and I like 40 gallon changes in my system, and my sump only holds 40 gallons if its completely full (never) so i am pretty much forced to pump water out and in at almost the same time. that, or just turn off all pumps and powerheads, then water change, then turn everything back on... which is what im attempting to avoid.

chemicaledge

I'm getting close to building one of these....if I may ask, What size pump are you using to get ur salt water to the tank..?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
exactly! except I dont have a basement, so I am forced to use pumps. lol

and I like 40 gallon changes in my system, and my sump only holds 40 gallons if its completely full (never) so i am pretty much forced to pump water out and in at almost the same time. that, or just turn off all pumps and powerheads, then water change, then turn everything back on... which is what im attempting to avoid.

Jason one thing you might be able to do is have your pumping routine run on a timer that approximates how long it will take to drain & refill 40ish gallons. You could have the "routine" to turn off the return pump for the first part of the change over giving you the majority of the change a 1 for 1 of old to new and the remainder would be a mix of old and new SW.