Salt - Which is best?

I currently purchase 200 gallon mix buckets of oceanic sea salt. I would like to know what everyone thinks is the best salt out there. Is there really a difference in quality?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Which is best? That's a VERY subjective question.

It depends on so many factors... so many variables... what I think is best (for me) someone else may think is total crap!

For me I'm using (and VERY happy with) Tropic Marine ProReef salt. It's a tad expensive but it mixes GREAT and I get VERY consistent #'s from it batch after batch and my tank seems to be thriving with it. I'm running a full blown MIXED reef so I appreciate the extra Calc in this mixture and I'm not dosing ANYTHING.

Rhodes19

I use Instant Ocean. It mixes ok, but I read some where that it contributes to cyanobacteria out breaks which I get.

cbrownfish

As Al stated, this is a highly subjective topic. I use Oceanic now, but have tried many. Ultimately, I like the fact that Oceanic provides Ca at 400+ and dKH is usually around 8.0. Combine that with Kalk top off and my parameters stay rock solid.

Instant Ocean is a staple in the industry because of price point IMO. However, I became disenchanted with IO because of the sub par Ca numbers and high Alk/dKH (320-360 Ca, 10-12 dKH).

molsen187

can you change salts if your using one already. like could i switch from io to another without any negative effect. sorry if i'm highjacking this just like an approprate place to ask.

D3monic

I have never used anything other than oceanic. I am very happy with it. Mixes clean. I never have any undisolved solids and does not cloud.

Frankie

RS STAFF
can you change salts if your using one already. like could i switch from io to another without any negative effect. sorry if i'm highjacking this just like an approprate place to ask.
Yes, you can change over to another salt very easily. Just start to do your regular water changes with the new salt you intend to use. Most people do 20% water changes weekly.

I had switched from IO to Oceanic some time ago, and had no problem with the switch. If everyone thinks this is a good salt, I don't mind using this. Was just wondering if there was something that would be better for my finny friends. Will check out the link above :)
Thanks everyone.

nightfire76

i use instant ocean with no problems that i can see,so if anyone out there can tell for dure that ones better,ill just stick with mine :D

As Al stated, this is a highly subjective topic. I use Oceanic now, but have tried many. Ultimately, I like the fact that Oceanic provides Ca at 400+ and dKH is usually around 8.0. Combine that with Kalk top off and my parameters stay rock solid.

I use Oceanic for the same reason. It provides enough Ca so I never have to dose it or anything else. I don't even use a Kalk top off. Keeping up with my water changes keeps my Ca levels and other parameters good.

swissgaurd

ive been using H2 ocean pro +
for over a year now
its consitance has been great
so far best salt ive used in a long time.

vic

miaskies

I use reef crystals, it mixes up way faster than instant ocean and it has added minerals and calcium. I notice coral growth after i do a water change with it.