Salinity and water changes

I'm really interested in knowing the answer to the following question, so if someone could help that would be great.

Accepted margin of error with salinity when mixing salt for water changes:

How much out would it need to be before you start stressing or affecting the inhabitants of your tank. If you maintain a salinity of 1.025 can you go to say 1.023 or 1.027 with out causing a problem? I know consistency is important but I’m interested to know how much error you can have before its detrimental to your tank. Are you better off being a little to low on the salinity scale or a little too high.

Cheers, Thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
In all reality you just need to be really "close". I don't add any water to my tank unless it's showing within .0005 of existing tank water. The way I see it is their over-all health and well being is in my hands. If I were relying on them to mix the amount of OXYGEN I was going to get I'd really appreciate it if they re as precise as their measuring equipment can be. It only takes a couple of minutes to test and adjust to make it right.

If you're reasonably close it wont make much of a difference on ONE water change but if you're consistently off the same way it will have an accumulative effect on the tank. The bigger the percentage of water change the more effect it has on over-all SG.

There's a calculator somewhere (Can't find the link right now) that tells you how much you NEED to adjust your change water to create a certain change in tank SG. If I can find it I'll post it back here.