RSM130D ... lovely tank but a little noisy :-(

Reef Scholar

Folks

There must be a lots of RSM gurus out there who know how to reduce the noise level of the RSM 130D?

Can anybody help me with suggestions on noise reduction?

1. The hood fans are VV noisy. I've seen elsewhere in forums that the fans can be swapped out but it would be nice to buy a replacement fan that somebody else has already tried and tested - not wanting to re-invent the wheel as such...

2. Protein skimmer ... again - V noisy ... any good ideas?

3. Circulation pumps ... not too bad really... are there better alternatives though?

Other than the noise of the tank + my wife moaning about the noise .... i am really enjoying my new marine hobby. It's V early days but so far i've some small anenome's + two clownfisk :))

any help - very much appreciated.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

I run stock & don't mine the noise (I actually did a post on DB levels with an expensive sound meter) and found, like taste, noise levels are very subjective & each of us have a different threshold.

You will find lots of options for "more" quite fans, skimmers & pumps in the club - sure some members that have made these mods can advise - Cheers - would love to see you start a tank thread & share some pics of your tank !

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome to RS!

My RSM130D is fairly quiet except for the Skimmer noise and it's not too bad. Check out the "Mods" section and give some of them a try. :)

reefer gladness

The skimmer noise was a bit much for me, I ended up replacing it with the Turboflotor 500 which is very quiet.

I've become a big fan of Eheim pumps also (quieter and more flow), the compact 600 is the most common replacement for the stock circulation pumps but there are other good options, check out the mods others have done as that cat can be skinned in many ways.

Sadly the hood fans are not a common size and replacement options are limited. Check out the thread for replacement fans for some options and instructions. FWIW, with the noise from the skimmer and circulation pumps virtually elimated the hood fans don't bother me as much- at least they turn off before I go to bed.

Reef Scholar

Thanks for all your replies folks. Here is a dumb question for you - when people say - checkout the 'Mods' section ..... where/which forum is that ? i cant find it - perhaps i need some new glasses ? lol