RSM (Red Sea Max) Owners Club

OK so tonight I was moving things around and relized that the archy rock i have leaning on the back wall vibrates! some parts stronger then others obviously closest to the skimmer. But I put a new colony of candy canes and notice they don't expand as much as the uglier ones in the sand. I also have a feeling my cleaner shrimp has a taste for feeder tentacles because they seemed to have gone missing, either that or I have woken up late at night and just stared into the tank to see a crab with striped legs, not sure if i remember if my porclien crab has those though... anyone ever hear of crabs eating feeders?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I thought that's what you meant, but wasn't sure. Anyway, I've never heard of a cleaner shrimp eating feeders, but I guess anything is possible. Are you sure the cane wasn't just closed up? The feeders on mine come out at night, but if something brushes against them they will retract and close up.

I'm sure because this colony opens up at a drop of food in the tank... its ok i didnt buy it for the feeders I guess, i'll just have a harder time spot feeding it... today i bought a clamp on coralife MH 10K from a reefer that was breaking down for a nice price! i'm thinking about keeping the hood on its stilts and clamping this to the every now and then that should give me better colors and growth! I have a feeling i'll be keeping clams in my rsm afterall! :)

chefunk

Any body have a favorite brand of R/O filter? I'm considering buying on for my house to cut down on trips to the store......thanks!

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
chefunk - I like Air, Water & Ice. I have one of the 5 stage Typhoons. They also have better prices than a lot of other units. They also may still offer an additional saving to Reef Sanctuary members. Check out their thread under the supporting vendors at the bottom of the main forums listings.

adamsfour

Hello Fellow RSM owners,
I am having a problem with low Alkalinity. Just happen to test it recently and noticed it was low. All other test are normal. I have started a regiment of adding Kent Marine buffer each morning. Not much happening. It does appear to be inching upwards but very very slowly (or I could be imagining it). Any recommendation for getting it to the proper level. Is this the right product or would you recommend something else.

Also, I find the Red Sea Pro max test for Alkalinity very hard to use. It never really goes the the end color. I am assuming when the blue color goes away I have reach the proper point to read.

Thanks in advance.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
adamsfour - I use a 2-part Ca/Alk additive and adjust my daily dose of A (Ca) or B (Alk) depending on what I'm high or low on.

Send a PM to steveh about the Red Sea Pro alk test, and he'll help you out. A few kits went out with a test reagent that wasn't stable. The kit I got a while back had all of the proper color changes, but some kits didn't. It may be that your alk is OK and the test kit is bad.

Arreola

HI all.
After a long absence, I am back in the game!!
It is great to see that this forum is growing and have a lot of new information of the RSM and the community has gone beyond of what expected.

About the tank:
Been fighting ciano but mostly because I am a little careless.
Also haven't been able to find a good water supplier, and to purchase a RO/DI filter will be too expensive for me at this time.

So after all this, I need to have a game plan, and here it is.
In this month will do a weekly 4 gallon water change.
Lower the SG (it is at 1.027) :cursin:
Replace the carbon and additional media to have more control on the water parameters.
Replace the lights (I Hope that I can get my hands on the original ones).
Control my obsession to overfeed the fishes and corals.
Get an ATO.

This is it. Any comments suggestions will be appreciated.

Best regards from Mexico
Arreola

Arreola

Hi Arreola! Great to hear from you again! Your plan sounds very good!

Hey RM!! - Thank you. It is good to be back.
Please post some links on the latest pictures of your tank.
It is always inspiring to see that great RMS of yours.

CrazeUK

Hi Guys i am quite new to RSM's about a week new.

I have the standard 130.

I have number of problems:
1. the skimmer rattles like no ones business.
2. the hood sounds like an aeroplane is lifting off.
3. I have started getting microbubbles (my softies are not liking them).
4. The water level is very tempremental, as soon as it drops a bit too low, my return pumps start rattling and stops returning.
5. my overflow, stops srface skimming if i kepe the water too high.

Oh and what would people reccomend i place in the back compartments?
I was considering building a a acrylic media box for the first compartment and the return pump compartment.

Whipitup

Hi Guys i am quite new to RSM's about a week new.

I have the standard 130.

I have number of problems:
1. the skimmer rattles like no ones business.
2. the hood sounds like an aeroplane is lifting off.
3. I have started getting microbubbles (my softies are not liking them).
4. The water lebel is very tempremental, as soon as it drops a bit too low, my return pumps start rattling and stops returning.
5. my overflow, stops srface skimming if i kepe the water too high.

Oh and what would people reccomend i place in the back compartments?
I was considering building a a acrylic media box for the first compartment and the return pump compartment.

You wanna pop round for a brew chew the cud, perv at my tank and pick up that pump I borrowed???

CrazeUK

God i have just realised i have joined the thread with a moan..
Well i do like the RSM, my mrs prefers it over my Vision 180

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good to see you two are close. Maybe Whipitup can help resolve the problems better than we can by typing back and forth.

I'm not sure why the skimmer is rattling, unless the skimmer pump isn't in correctly. That's a new problem I haven't heard of. On the hood fans - they do make some noise when they get old, but if the tank is new (?) they may need to be reseated. 3) if the tank is new microbubbles from the skimmer are common and should decrease as the skimmer breaks in. 4-5) common problems related to water level dropping in back. The new surface skimmer adapter may help with these problems.

Check out these threads:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...b/38826-microbubbles-your-rsm-check-here.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...843-depth-surface-skimmer-upgrade-review.html

In any case.....

CrazeUK - Welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Crew!

You're not the first to join the RSM club with a moan, and that's nothing to apologize for! :( :)

an0110

Hello! My name is Ashley, I am new to saltwater and forums! Just set up a new Red Sea Max 250 a month ago. Have 65 lbs of live rock, 2 Oscellaris Clowns, 8 turbo and 5 astrea snails, 10 hermit and 1 emerald crab. Currently battling an algea bloom and skimmer problems!

When skimmer is shut off for cleaning it won't turn back on until it is disassembled, cleaned, dried and put back together. Sometimes it takes a couple times to get it to work. Any one experience these problems with the RSM skimmer? Any suggestions?