RSM (Red Sea Max) Owners Club

Frankie

RS STAFF
Wow! I never knew there was a senor Mr Snelly! Very cool. Welcome to RS :)
This thread is going well. Good work fella's:thumbup:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
For RSM owners (or anyone) Arreola has been kind enough to ask, and get approval from, the Reef Sanctuary staff if we could post a link to a website with a lot of owner information on the RSM. The website was created by an RSM owner (MAXreefer) for other owners, on his own time, and includes some good information on the tank, tank galleries with pics of several owners' tanks around the world, a mods section, a few blogs, etc. I'm not sure how current a lot of the information is, as Michael (MAXreefer) has been very busy with his job and travels. I know my information is definitely out of date, and that's my fault! Since the website is not a forum, the best place for up to date advice, mods, and pictures is right here on the Reef Sanctuary thread!

RSMreefers.com

I haven't heard from MAXreefer in a while, so I'm not even sure if he's still updating the site, or just doesn't have the time to devote to it anymore. If you want the freshest information and pictures you'll find them right here!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Wow! I never knew there was a senor Mr Snelly! Very cool. Welcome to RS :)
This thread is going well. Good work fella's:thumbup:

Slight correction before our female members get upset - some of the RSM owners in here are the opposite gender of us guy owners LOL! :)

SWFish

For RSM owners (or anyone) Arreola has been kind enough to ask, and get approval from, the Reef Sanctuary staff if we could post a link to a website with a lot of owner information on the RSM. The website was created by an RSM owner (MAXreefer) for other owners, on his own time, and includes some good information on the tank, tank galleries with pics of several owners' tanks around the world, a mods section, a few blogs, etc. I'm not sure how current a lot of the information is, as Michael (MAXreefer) has been very busy with his job and travels. I know my information is definitely out of date, and that's my fault! Since the website is not a forum, the best place for up to date advice, mods, and pictures is right here on the Reef Sanctuary thread!
RSMreefers.com
I haven't heard from MAXreefer in a while, so I'm not even sure if he's still updating the site, or just doesn't have the time to devote to it anymore. If you want the freshest information and pictures you'll find them right here!
cnfzd: How about Rue and Vanessa????

Arreola

First Coral Suggestions

After 4 fishes a shrimp and a few Turbo snalis, I'm planning to add a coral to the RSM.

Any suggestion on what species, and type of corals are suited for the RSM??

I'm running the stock lights, pumps plus a Koralia 2 for water movement.

Thank you

Arreola

lcstorc

Love this thread buy you guys n gals should also create chronicle threads. That way we can track changes in various tanks. Makes it easier to keep track of who has what tank.
Meanwhile I am looking forward to learning a lot more about this tank. I am getting another pair of clowns soon and will be needing a tank for them.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Icstorc - a few of us are totally new here, including me, and I know in my case I haven't even had a chance to check out all of the sections yet. Chronicles is new to me - can you please point me and other new members to where to find information on setting up a chronicle? Sounds interesting.

Arreola - asking what corals to add is always a tough question for me to give an opinion . I started out with zoas, mushrooms, some lps (Frogspawn, Torch - the Euphyllia species corals), and an acan and a toadstool leather. I also had some GSP (green star polyps) already on my live rock, as well as some nice red mushrooms.

Keep in mind spacing of the corals - I eventually had to give away one frogspawn that grew to over 10 heads, and my big acan, as they were stinging nearby corals as they grew bigger. Some corals are "peaceful" and some are "aggressive", or "semi -aggressive".

Some of the easy relatively peaceful corals to start with are mushrooms, zoas, GSP, and leathers. Then you have to leave room for growth, as these things will grow and multiply.

I made a few mistakes in coral choices, but it's difficult to predict what will happen when things grow close to each other. Some get along well, and others use stinging or chemical warfare to try to keep other corals away from them. My Frogspawn even stung me a few times, and at that time I didn't even know that they could sting people too!

The lights in the RSM are capable of keeping just about any coral. Even the more difficult SPS types can be kept under the stock lights, if they're kept on the top parts of the rock. I've seen several stock RSMs with a lot of healthy, growing SPS (even Acropora) in them. I've been trying to keep SPS and have had mixed success so far with the Acropora types - some have done well and I've lost others. Of the SPS types the easiest are the Montipora species - there are encrusting types (grow over the rock surface), branching types such as the M. digitata types, and the M. capricornis types that form platelike structures. All of my Montipora types are doing excellent and growing well. By the way - the SPS types, especially the Acroporas are usually recommended only for mature tanks with excellent water parameters and proper amounts of things like Calcium and alkalinity.

I see I'm getting too wordy again, so I'll shut up and let others tell you what they started out with! I am not an expert on anything! :)

Witfull

OK,,,this is to all of the RSM gang. between you all, via PM. elect a leader to speak with me concerning a specific sub-forum. this will avoid a run on thread that is here and there and folks getting lost. it will help the RS rep to keep up to date on thoughts, issues and ideas.

its up to you.....fragmented run on thread or a leader.....trust me, i know what im doing.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Witfull - I know I trust your judgement. Are there any examples on Reef Sanctuary of the set up that your thinking of for us? I guess the thread is growing pretty fast (too fast maybe?) and I think I know what you mean by the run on thread. I'm not by any means picking me as the leader, but I'm not knowledgeable about forum setups.

By the way, if I don't have much time for replies tonight it's only because I need to do things at home too, and normally check out by 9pm to make it easier to rise at 4:30am every week day.

Any volunteers want to lead this group? It does not have to be me!

Arreola

Reefmack - As always, very good info on the corals.
I call a LCS (local Coral Shop), they have grat corals but they are expesive compared to other stores.

They ask me to gave them a water sample along with a picture of the RSM and start from there.

I will try to go tomorrow to see what they think.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
All - I think I've been elected leader by Witfull and we're PMing on his ideas as I'm totally clueless at forum setup stuff! :) If anybody objects please say so!

Arreola - great idea from the lfs! Let's see what you end up with!

grandy

All - I think I've been elected leader by Witfull and we're PMing on his ideas as I'm totally clueless at forum setup stuff! :) If anybody objects please say so!

Arreola - great idea from the lfs! Let's see what you end up with!

:whstlr: You da man, Reefmack.... :dryer:

Witfull

i will work out details and present them to the ret of the staff here. i will also contact steve ar redsea to corordinate his end.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks Witfull - getting Red Sea's involment would be great too.

All - I have some very sad news to pass on from Brent. I don't think he'd mind my passing it on. I had an email that his 43 year old brother died unexpectedly today, and he will be leaving for Edmondton for a week. My prayers will go with him and the families involved in such a terrible loss. :(

Frankie

RS STAFF
This would be in reminiscent of the Blue Spot Jaw Fish forum right Dave? Forum leader thingy?