RSM Crystal Crack. WARNING!

Arreola

I purchase the RSM 250 5 months ago.
Without warning last Thursday night the glass cracked on the top right side, where the glass makes its distinctive curve, going all the way down and to the front of the tank.

So far all the livestock is at some fellow reefer, but I am very concerned about loosing some of the corals and fishes.

I just want to warn all of the RSM owners of this issue.

This is not the first RSM tank that had this problem and I know at least one other 130 owner that had the same issue.

I am still waiting on confirmation from the RSM Dealer here in Mexico regarding the replacement tank.

I will post some pictures soon.

Arreola

IMG_0182.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_1935.jpg
IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg
IMG_1938.jpg
IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

tnwillia

That sure looks EXACTLY like the crack in the picture Glenn sent you. This should be automatic with RedSea! Good luck!

Arreola

NewEnglandReef - Thank you, I hope that I can get all my corals back soon.

Tom - It looks much like glenn's picture. The problem here is that in Mexico this are not as clear about the warranty issues as they are in the US. I hope they will send me a new tank.
BTW The price for the RSM 250 in Mexico is around $2,500.00 USD.. you can imagine that I am really angry with this.

Also, I am going to replace some of the wooden foor that got %&$·%$·" with all the water.

pocketreef

It's like a nightmare. Be strong and I hope your animals resist well.

Could be worse if you were not close by. Do you have any idea what caused this? Is it possible that it was the vortech?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Scary pictures! After seeing the same type crack in 3 of the 130 models, and one 130D. I stopped cleaning the coralline out of my corners as frequently as I once did. I hate to put stress on those points. I love rounded corners but I think they may be the weakest point of the glass, especially if not formed correctly in manufacturing them.

dankent

hmm .. .thanks for the warning .. scarey indeed ... Cleaning those corners are allready a pain in the arse .. hehe , Will have to be more carefull in the future.

Arreola

Pocketreef - I don't think the Vortech got anything to do with it. It was on night mode at about 25% plus I reinstalled after cleaning it a few minutes before this happen.

I will have to agree more with Terry, It was more a defect on the manufacturing process than a human error.

Dan - I don't think cleaning the corners had any impact on what happened, the strangest part was it started at the top, so if cleaning the corners had anything to do, my guess is that it would start at the bottom where is more stress on the glass due to the pressure.

jpsika08

Hope you resolve this issue quickly.
Thank you for the advice and warning.
Please post updates about RSM response.

Buena suerte!

Arreola

Juan Pablo - Muchas gracias!
I will keep you all posted as soon as I get the response from red sea representatives for mexico.

dmyers557 - Thank you, I hope that they will resolve this issue by tomorrow.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Just curious Arreola, when the glass did crack, did the water come out quickly or slowly? Just after a heads up if this ever happens to me. Possibility of catching all of the water?

w00t

Oh man every time this happens to someone I get all nervous, and by the time I stop worrying about it another incident happens.

Yikes!

icewall2k3

Ouch.. Sorry to hear.

I just bought rsm 250 a month or so ago..

This really worries me.. as it is not a single isolated case. If this is really manufacture's error, then something has to be done.

What if no one was around when this happened? I just can't imagine the cost.. along with SALT water damage to the house.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If I had to guess... I guess it's happening about 1 in 5,000 to 1 in 10,000 tanks.

StevetT sold about 1,000 Media Racks... so I bet my guess is about right... 1st 250 I have read about it happening in, I have seen two 130's it happened in, in all the post here in the two years.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Saw a 130D with a corner crack in another forum, as well as 2-3 130s. Hard to tell how many RSMs have cracked based on media racks sold, as not all owners run a rack. Even at 300+ RSM owners in here that's still a small percentage of the tanks out there. Many owners probably don't hang out in forums.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Randy - I was referring to Glenn's coment on the number of media racks maybe being an indication of how many 130 tanks are out there. Are you familiar with the rack (media basket)?

Red Sea Max - inTank, LLC

No relationship between the rack and cracks - the rack isn't cause for cracks.