RSM C-250 my journey

Brookesy

Thanks for the help dan since I have added my nassarius snails, the brittle star and a few more hermits the brown algae on the sand has almost completely gone! Great advice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brookesy

Well added my 4th fish tonight a little earlier then expected but the water levels have remained stable and all the other fish are doing well. I've added a foxface lo which I know will probably outgrow the tank but he'll be ok for a bit plus my aim is to get a bigger tank in a year or two once I have more experience.

The corals have also been doing well and will probably add my first lps in week or 2.

20150105_195753_zpsubb2cmc8.jpg

20150105_195841_zpsltc8alta.jpg

Last edited:

Brookesy

So this week I've been trying some different foods including some red nori seaweed for the foxface. The foxface seems to enjoy it although I'm having a little trouble with bits breaking off and settling on the sand. Does anyone have any tips on this? I'm using the nori every other day and only using a small amount at a time.

20150108_173439_zpsuoe06uqq.jpg

Brookesy

Also looking at my last photo I have 2 nice live rock plates in my tank. Can anyone recommend some good show piece corals to stick there?

Brookesy

Is it possible to keep sps and lps together? My LFS showed me some examples where he had managed to do it. The plan is to cut my teeth on lps first and then when the tank has further matured maybe add a few sps.

Brookesy

So another week and sadly I've lost a clown. Unfortunately he jumped into the rear sump and perished :-( on the plus side the algae is subsiding and the tank is looking much better!

b6f69a669bce73f6193096e101c20daa.jpg

Adrienne

Sorry to hear about your clown. I found my female over in the left hand pump side of my C-250 sump yesterday am but fortunately she is still alive and well.

Brookesy

The tank is coming along now! I've added another 3 corals to the tank a flower pot coral. Sun coral and my first sps frag of a monti. The bad news is the cyano.has returned today a day after doing a water change which leads me to believe the issue maybe with the ro water I've been getting from my Lfs. Anyway I pick my ro di unit.up next week so this should help things along.

0e8fb174c9bb57f620201247979eb9dd.jpg

a1078e23a6a134051dd0398e8e84a51c.jpg

Brookesy

So it's been a while since my last update but now the tank is really coming along. I have changed a few things on my RSM C-250 including removing all the sponge filters and carbon from my reef tank on the recommendation from my LFS. I'm still not sure if this is the right thing to do but I will give it a go and keep and eye on all the parameters. I will be adding some chemipure elite and some filter wool to the filter tower supplied with the aquarium. One thing I have added is the tunze ATO system which has improved my skimmer efficiency.

6fbbee18453924e11739c153bab3743d.jpg

Pat24601

I used the sponges for months, but recently took them out. My water seems to be doing better, but I did a bunch of things so not sure that mattered. One less thing to clean, though. :)

I run two chemi pure elite, a purigen, and right now phosnet (which is probably overkill) as well as some filter floss.

Anyway, sharp looking tank and cool coral selection. Good to see it clicking along.

Brookesy

I'm still a bit nervous about removing them. I think I will put them back in but clean them every week to ensure detrius doesn't get built up in there. I've just treated myself to an aquaray Fiji blue as well so hopefully this should show some more depth in the tank

Brookesy

Just added 2 aquaray 600 LEDs to tank to improve the night time viewing and also to give the tank a bit more of a shimmer effect. This photo doesn't really do it any justice so I will aim to get some better shots next week.

75e232b063c7b1b8bc55495b1da3c618.jpg