RSM C-250 my journey

Brookesy

Ok so I'm on day 10 of the reef mature program on my rsm c-250 and I have just added my first clean up crew to the tank. I checked my tank parameters this morning and the the readings were nitrites and ammonia both showing as zero although the nitrates were up at 20. I spoke to my LFS and they said this was a good sign and would be safe to add a few members of the CUC.

As for the design of the tank I have used mostly tongan branch live rock with some nice plates to mount corals on later. So far everything appears to be going well!

Danreef

Wellcome to the forum with your new tank thread !!!!

You will get help and suggestions here from many advanced reef keepers.

Pictures + Pictures is always the best !!!

Cheers
Daniel

Danreef

Ok so I'm on day 10 of the reef mature program on my rsm c-250 and I have just added my first clean up crew to the tank. I checked my tank parameters this morning and the the readings were nitrites and ammonia both showing as zero although the nitrates were up at 20. I spoke to my LFS and they said this was a good sign and would be safe to add a few members of the CUC.

As for the design of the tank I have used mostly tongan branch live rock with some nice plates to mount corals on later. So far everything appears to be going well!

Have you seen some algae growth? The rocks/sand started to be green/brownish ?

That is a good time to add the CUC, because they have food.

Daniel

Brookesy

Yes I have a nice brown covering of diatoms on the rock and it has recently starting sprouting some fine hair algae in the tank. I've added a few snails, 2 red legged hermits and a nice emerald crab and will add some more in another week or so before I add the first fish.

I am trying to post a pic but it keeps saying ive exceeded my quota ven though I have removed my previous pic. Is there anyway round this? can I use photo bucket to post pics?

thanks for the reply.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
add this syntax around your url

photobucket is were most members host pics - hope this helps :)

Brookesy

Thanks I'll give that a try, obviously won't have corals for a few more weeks so I'll have a chance to play with the settings a bit more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brookesy

Ok say tonight I added my first fish a beautiful pair of clowns. Having only kept tropical fish before I can see the fascination with SW fish. These pair have loads of character.

20141218_210944_zpsvmbzayft.jpg

Brookesy

So a week on from adding my first pair of clowns and everything is going well. They have settled in really well and love swimming around the rock work. Since last week I have added a couple of snails and a cleaner shrimp to keep the algae and uneaten food to a minimum. Water quality has remained stable after doing another 10 percent water change.

20141223_210145_zpswaxdvmvi.jpg

20141223_205713_zpszs7r4cii.jpg

Danreef

Don't rush. Thing are going OK as it can be seen in your pictures. Congrats !!!

The CUC have not finished their work yet. :) I can see some green/brownish algae. If needed add some more snails, but wait to add more fish.

Cheers
Daniel

Ps: jajaja.... I just saw 3 hard working snails in your picture eaten the green algae.... :)

Brookesy

Thanks yeah I'm not going to adding any fish for a few weeks. I've added 3 more snails today and a cleaner shrimp so this should help things along.

Brookesy

So another week or so and I have now added my first coral a green fuzzy mushroom and a royal gramma. I was going to wait another week but everything seems to be in check and I have now finished my red sea reef mature program. One issue I am having is that I seem to be getting a lot of brown algae on the sand but I've put this down to maybe overfeeding and the tank only being a month old.

20141228_194114_zpsfbbopgwc.jpg

20141228_194121_zpsw2y7y4j3.jpg

20141228_194134_zpsr4tdoo37.jpg

Brookesy

Thanks I got some hermits and a brittle star fish today so that should help. I could not find any nassarius snails so I keep my eyes out for those. I know I have definitely been overfeeding as I've been trying some different foods. I'm going to reduce feeding from 3 times a day to twice a day and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk