RSM 250 Started 2/12/10

Bobi1956

Experienced reef keeper here with 8 yrs experience but have been away from it for 5 yrs. I missed it immensely and have thus ordered a new RSM 250. I previously owned a 125 gallon reef tank with overflow and 20 gallon sump, protein skimmer, calcium reactor yadda yadda yadda.

I have one concern and one question LOL - I'm a bit concerned about my decision to order the self contained RSM 250 as it appears after browsing alot of the threads/posts here it seems as though many are adding additional protein skimming, internal overflows and sumps, etc - have I fooled myself into thinking that the only add on I will need is an ATO set up?

That leads to my question - I'm interested, prior to ordering, about the different ATO set ups you all might have. I have looked at the Tunze and ATO as well as several DIY's. Oh yea, I have ordered 50 lbs of dry rock from Marco which was shipped from Key Largo this morning. I wanted to develop my own live rock so as to not buy any unwanted creatures/pests.

My RSM ships from SC tomorrow, 2/11 and I will begin to post pics as my set up begins.

Nowellsy SNR

Re: Awaiting my New RSM 250

Hi and welcome to RS congrats on your 250

Hopefully you will get the Sicce skimmer pump which has had good reviews, I've had a stock skimmer had great results with it for over 6 months but like anything its down to personal choice to add extras.

Look forward to seeing your tank grow

I've had nothing but bad luck with my pumps that came with the RSM 250.
The only one I have in the tank that's still original is recirc pump #2
which I plan on replacing soon just for spite.
The skimmer died on me within 1 month and recirc pump # 1 died a week after. I was sent a replacement, only to have it fail on arrival.

I bought a tunze recirc pump and a euroreef nano-skimmer.
Since then my temp has been extremely stable and much quieter.

The lighting seems to be pretty good on these tanks and it is a very nice looking system with the totem stand.

Oakhouse

Hi and Welcome... Great to have another 250!

Re the only add on being an ATO, I run mine stock (almost). I've added a Tunze ATO and a Tunze nano stream powerhead, and seem to be getting good results..

Bobi1956

Thanks guys and gals - look forward to talking with you during my set up !

Bobi1956

Thanks guys and gals - I look forward to talking with you alot during my set up !!

Bobi1956

How are u getting the ro/di water back up to your tank and where is your level sensor placed that calls for the make up water?

Oakhouse

How are u getting the ro/di water back up to your tank and where is your level sensor placed that calls for the make up water?

I know others do it differently, but this is how I did my ATO. The two tunze sensors I have in the right hand pump chamber with the pipe and wires going through the accessory port kit, pump is in a 3 gallon bucket in the stand. Here's some pics of my setup.

Bobi1956

Just got email that says my RSM 250 will arrive tomorrow, 2/12, weight of shipment 450 lbs - I'm pretty jacked up about it - can't wait !!!!!!!!!!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick

It looks like you'll have a busy weekend. Welcome to the club and enjoy setting it up.

Bobi1956

Thanks Leigh I just gotta con someone into helping me pick it up from the UPS store - $100 to ship it there and $308 to ship it to my house and ironically the UPS store is only like 5 miles from my home

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

The tank & stand should be packed separately, so that will make lifting it a bit easier, but help will be needed! Have fun setting it up and don't rush it. Congratulations!

Bobi1956

Very good advice - on my other tanks have been in way too much of a hurry. I am committed to taking my time on this one and getting it just like I want it. My RO/DI unit won't be here until Tuesday. My DRY rock arrives tomorrow also I'm pretty sure I'm gonna cycle with ammonium chloride (no fish no live rock) ie livening my own Florida Keys Marco rock. My tunze ATO won't be here until Tuesday also. Im repeating to myself over and over - take your time Bob take your time

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Yep - take your time! :) Are you going to add a bacterial additive with the ammonia dosing, to help get the bacteria multiplying on the dry rock? Let us know the ammonia dosing as it isn't normally done these days - usually the rotting deli shrimp is practiced. But, no reason the ammonia dosing won't work - it used to be pretty commonly done.

Bobi1956

Yes adding the bacteria that comes in the Red Sea Max 250 starter kit. Think I will need more? Tonight I get to sit down with the dry rock and aquascape it outside of the aquarium by using nylon all thread rods and I guess some aquarium silicone. Also will be putting the stand together. My RO/DI won't be here until tuesday so no water until then.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

The starter kit bacteria should be OK. I was concerned that it contained the correct bacteria and that they were alive, so I added Bio-Spira also. I had fully cured live rock though. Good luck rodding the rock together - that's a big advantage of using dry rock - no worries of it dying off while you have it out of water (and less messy).

Bobi1956

I will probably visit the LFS and get some live rock to aid in process - just depends on what they have and how it will fit into my dry rock formation.