RSM 250 Going Topless

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I really like that approach to to the topless! Great thinking and it looks great!

bmp

I took a look at these new Razor light the other day, and although they look the part I'm still concerned that they seem a little under powered compared to my T5's.

You have done a great job on converting your tank to topless. This has given me some food for thought

Great looking tank, job well done.

Tok
Hi Tok.
I am running them at about 60 to 70% and they are more or less the same as my stock lights.
Tried them at 100% and they are brighter.
I like the built in timer too which allows for sunrise and sunset settings too.
Thanks. BMP

Tokalosh

Hi Tok.
I am running them at about 60 to 70% and they are more or less the same as my stock lights.
Tried them at 100% and they are brighter.
I like the built in timer too which allows for sunrise and sunset settings too.
Thanks. BMP

I'll check back when you have them at 100%, They are one of the nicest LED lighting rigs I've seen.

Tok

RobertL

Hey,

i just bought a maxspect razor and removed my rsm 250 hood but i was googling for some solutions on how to cover the filtration compartment properly. I found your topic and i saw you used the front part of the rsm 250 stock hood, i think it looks really nice!

One problem thought, me and my girlfriend have been trying to remove the front part (by removing the plastic inside part (so the skimmer will fit in)), but until now it hasn't work.
Could you please tell me how you seperated the front part from the back part? And how did you remove the inside black plastic so the top of the skimmer fits in there?

Thanks so much!

Greets Robert

Oh and lets see some pics of the "lid" from a better side shot! I'm seriously thinking of taking off the top now and putting some really good LEDS not retros in!

bmp

Hey,

i just bought a maxspect razor and removed my rsm 250 hood but i was googling for some solutions on how to cover the filtration compartment properly. I found your topic and i saw you used the front part of the rsm 250 stock hood, i think it looks really nice!

One problem thought, me and my girlfriend have been trying to remove the front part (by removing the plastic inside part (so the skimmer will fit in)), but until now it hasn't work.
Could you please tell me how you seperated the front part from the back part? And how did you remove the inside black plastic so the top of the skimmer fits in there?

Thanks so much!

Greets Robert
Hi Robert.

If you look at the underside of the lid there are about 4 small round plugs. I actually drilled them out but I think you can get a small screwdriver in there to pop them out. Under the plugs you will find a screw that needs removing.

Once they are out I carefully ran a small screwdriver around the edge to separate the top of the lid. Once this is done the hollow lid sits over the back of the tank OK.
If you need me to take photos of my lid just let me know.

Thanks. BMP

bmp

Oh and lets see some pics of the "lid" from a better side shot! I'm seriously thinking of taking off the top now and putting some really good LEDS not retros in!

I will take some better photos tomorrow and post them in the thread.
Thanks. BMP

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Robert,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

BMP - great mod !

bmp

Sorry - I meant to update this earlier.

Almost 4 weeks with the new lights and so far I am very pleased. I will update some of the photos later to see how the corals are reacting to the new lights.

I love the way you can set sunrise / sunset etc with the built in timer. It gives you 6 different settings for each light channel (White and Blue). I have it so that each channel comes on slowly from 10am to 2pm. They then stay at my maximum setting until 6pm when they slowly dim down until 9pm when I leave just the blue lights set at 1% as night lights.
The blue lights turn off at 11.30pm and turn back on at 6am.

My main concern when I got the lights was that they may not be bright enough and the lights would not reach the bottom of the tank. The lights are well bright enough and no problem reaching the bottom of the tank. I currently have the white channel set at a maximum of 75% and the blue set at max 85%. I have tried them both at 100% and I think they are too bright. It is great that you can adjust the settings to suit how you want it to look. I prefer a slightly blue white look so I have my blue channel set a bit higher.

Water Evaporation. As expected the water does evaporate much more quickly with the lid off. I have an auto top up so it is not an issue but I am having to fill up my top up container a lot more than I used to.

Temperature. My tank is in quite a tight corner in my office. It is only a small office with 3 computers and a central heating boiler on the wall so the room was always a bit warm. The tank obviously adds a bit more heat to the room too. I had a chiller on my tank but typically ran it at about 27 / 28 Degrees. The new lights are much cooler than the stock lights. The room does feel slightly cooler - especially right next to the tank. The water is now at about 26/27 degrees and I have removed the chiller. I am in the UK though - so it doesnt usually get VERY hot here.

One final point - noise level. Wow - what a difference - NO FAN NOISE !! The LEDs do have a couple of fans but I have not heard them come on yet. Maybe because I have not been running the lights at 100%

So after about a month with the LEDs I can highly recommend them to anyone interested in changing their lights. I know the open top look isn't for everyone but I am getting used to it now and most people who have seen it in person really like it.

Thanks and I will update over the next few weeks to let you know how it is going.

BMP

bmp

Ok here are a few photos taken in the last 20 minutes.

The lights are starting to dim down to about 50 - 60% - it is 7pm in the uk now.

I think my clowns like the new lights - they laid eggs last night...

9100609427_37d0606caf_z.jpg

Some of my Corals

9100610327_c2141f5898_z.jpg

9102840166_b249b88c69_z.jpg

9100612259_bd8a311075_z.jpg

9100614295_a8992100fc_z.jpg

Lights at 50%

9100615307_abe2bfbc98_z.jpg

View from above tank

9100617451_1f84028f6d_z.jpg

9100618477_20ab4d5ac6_z.jpg

View of tank on my desk ...

9100619397_0b8b546f9c_z.jpg

Sorry the pictures are not the best. Only taken with my phone.

Hope there are not too many photos. I can take some with the moonlights later if anyone is interested.

Thanks

BMP

Pics look great. And I think I speak for everyone else that there is no such thing as too many pics. :dance:

Looking forward to seeing what else you have to bring to the table.