RSM 250 Going Topless

bmp

Got home the other day to a burning smell in my office. The lights were out on my RSM250 and the smell has coming from the hood.

My tank was a used tank that I got off a friend of mine so not under warranty or anything. The fans have been noisy for a while too. The hood had also been modified slightly were the previous owner had tried to fit LEDs, so the only option was a new hood.

To buy a new hood in the UK costs £599 and would take 3 to 4 days to arrive !!

My local supplier had the Maxspect Razor LEDs in stock for £399 so I decided to try them out.

For now I have hung them above my tank. i have my old hood that I am going to try and modify to fit the LED unit inside but I am not sure how yet.

In the meantime here is how it looks topless.

8851895659_05e231d706_c.jpg

8852476394_2eeafb9999_c.jpg

I quite like the look of it without the hood and I might keep it that way. What does everyone think ?

Thanks

BMP

bmp

Wow looks awesome! Beautiful corals and colours in the tank :)
I'd hit up StevieT and see if he has any plans to do a filter cover for the rsm250 as he just released one for the 130. And it tidies up the look of a hoodless tank :)

Here's the link to the post about it:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...b/85454-new-red-sea-max-filtration-cover.html

Thanks for that. It would look better covered. I was looking at the front opening bit of my old hood to see if I could make it out of that but if someone already has one made that would be easier.

Thanks

BMP

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
No problems, gald to have helped :) there isn't a cover for the 250 but I'm sure you can drop StevieT a pm and ask about it

Tank looks wicked though!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
BEAUTIFUL Corals & Fish!! Looks like they have grown out well. :snshne:
Sorry your hood mal-functioed. Glad that you save a worse disaster by arriving home in time.
I personally like the look of the our hooded RSM 250's so I'd have to replace the hood. I think that after an almost disaster, it might be scary to do anything other than replace the entire hood for me. I'm not a DIY person either so that has a bearing on my thoughts.
Best wishes & keep us posted on what you do.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
That's a nice looking tank, your corals look great! Personally I like topless tanks but on the RSM250 but I have never been a fan of all the compartments "stuff" showing. Hopefully StevieT will develop a cover!

It would be really awesome if he developed a cover that went up slightly higher so that it could contain the aftermarket skimmers that everyone uses as well!!

bmp

BEAUTIFUL Corals & Fish!! Looks like they have grown out well. :snshne:
Sorry your hood mal-functioed. Glad that you save a worse disaster by arriving home in time.
I personally like the look of the our hooded RSM 250's so I'd have to replace the hood. I think that after an almost disaster, it might be scary to do anything other than replace the entire hood for me. I'm not a DIY person either so that has a bearing on my thoughts.
Best wishes & keep us posted on what you do.

The breaker had tripped too so I was lucky that it had gone off without causing any damage but also lucky I was back before any of the corals or fish had died too.

I was hoping to convert to LED anyway but not quite so soon !

Thanks

BMP

saltfan

what great colors.. my colors never pop like that when I photograph. What kind of camera? and what settings if ya dont mind me asking.

bmp

what great colors.. my colors never pop like that when I photograph. What kind of camera? and what settings if ya dont mind me asking.

Just used my phone (nexus4). Untouched other than to crop out the rubbish around my tank. The LEDS are more of a blue / purple light than the normal RSM lights. I only have the lights on about 75% at the moment too to avoid bleaching the corals.
Thanks
BMP

bmp

Skimmer worth buying?

Sorry if this is replied to twice. I did reply but the post didnt appear.

I think it is worth buying the Deltec but my decision was easier as I had to replace the stock skimmer as it was faulty. (That is the problem when you get a used system).
Not sure if I would have bothered otherwise.
Definitely quieter than the stock skimmer and also I have noticed that my temperature in the tank has reduced by a couple of degrees since swapping over.

Thanks

BMP

bmp

Looks good, question is do YOU like it

Ha ha - good question. Dont know yet. It is in my office (in my house) so I keep walking in for another quick look. I think it looks better without all the untidy "stuff" on show at the back but I am still not decided about the "topless" look.

Thanks

BMP

I think it would be a great idea if the people who make the media holders made a totally new hood with nothing inside for the people who want LEDs. Would be worth the money to pay for it in my opinion.

Tokalosh

I took a look at these new Razor light the other day, and although they look the part I'm still concerned that they seem a little under powered compared to my T5's.

You have done a great job on converting your tank to topless. This has given me some food for thought

Great looking tank, job well done.

Tok