Roy's Red Sea Max C-250

TEA

I couldn't agree with this more. The videos are awesome and clearly impact a lot of people!
I need to add my own thanks to this list then. Roy, your video's are the reason why I purchased the C-250. I have really enjoyed your updates over the past months that I've been watching. Very helpful, your tank looks great!

TEA

Try that again...

This happenedView attachment 42663
I've read so many posts in the forum of people taking the sponges out but I've resisted that notion. Your pic newo11 has validated that for me. I rinse out the sponges in tank water with each water change. Plus, I have read that the "mulm" from the sponges that does get into the display tank during removal for rinsing is actually appreciated by many coral. I've no evidence to actually back that up myself but if coral feed off of nutrients in the water then that makes some since to me.

Roy Page

Roy -

Can I strongly recommend that you add at least a small part of the black sponge back? I don't have the C, only the older 250. But I now cut my sponges in 1/3 to 1/4 to at least provide some protection. I used to operate without any of the black sponges until this happened:
The BLACK SPONGES are NOW back in, which is why I did not mention them in my Part 10 Video.

I am going out on a limb here and am saying I want some mechanical filtration in the system to catch the debris which is suspended in the water being pumped around.
With the black sponges not in situ there is zero to catch and filter that debris so it collects around the system is areas of low water flow.

Nitrate is the result we want from the Nitrifying Bacteria, so my Black Sponges are staying back in .... ..
But I have cut them to half their thickness so that I can remove half of each if I feel that has any benefit.
I will monitor again my Nitrate levels and see if it increases to an unwanted level again.
Meanwhile I am feeding the fish a little less!

Happy Days, my black sponge experiment has, all but, ended!

Roy Page

I need to add my own thanks to this list then. Roy, your video's are the reason why I purchased the C-250. I have really enjoyed your updates over the past months that I've been watching. Very helpful, your tank looks great!

I am very grateful for the fantastic encouragement which I have received from making this series of 10 videos. I will be making the occasional video with an update, but the definitive series is at an end.

So thanks go to everyone who have commented, it has been rewarding to show the building of our "Bit Of Ocean Reef In The Kitchen" to the world ... :)

Roy Page

UPDATE at 12th October 2015.

Aiptasia

All is good with the reef tank, except have failed to keep the Aiptasia under control. Frequently use of the RS Aiptasia-X kills them off, but more always appear.

So we just added 5 of those special shrimps Lysmata wurdemanni just hoping they can do the job.
Has anyone has real success using them, by real success, I mean they eat the Aiptasia and and the nuisance has totally gone away?

Roy Page

Shrimps, in general eat the young Aptaxia. The big ones will be your job.

Let see others experience.

Daniel
The Aiptasia problem is yet to be resolved, but we now have 8 peppermint shrimps hoping they will help.

Question:
Nothing to do with Aiptasia, what are these tubular white growths on one of the rocks?
I have seen them before but they vanished and are now back.
Here is a photo >
120915.jpg

Pat24601

The Aiptasia problem is yet to be resolved, but we now have 8 peppermint shrimps hoping they will help.

Question:
Nothing to do with Aiptasia, what are these tubular white growths on one of the rocks?
I have seen them before but they vanished and are now back.
Here is a photo >
120915.jpg

I have no idea. You may want to cross post in hitchhiker ID if you don't get a good answer here.

Roy Page

Day 591 Since Starting Up The RedSea Max C-250

Just a brief update, now that we are 19 months down the road since setting up our first Reef Aquarium.
All going pretty well, but still battling a bad infection of Aiptasia.
In spite of frequently using Aiptasia X to kill visible ones, can't eradicate them, so have resorted now to using a number of Peppermint Shrimps [correct variety] but no sign yet of them eating this pest.

I have been experimenting for last 6 months with a very simple maintenance routine.
Got so tired and irritated by the various water quality tests that need me to compare colored water with a colored paper disc that I decided to go a period without doing any tests, other than Salinity, on the water chemistry.

So my maintenance regime is really simple:-

Every Week
Do a 10% water change once per week using RO water mixed with Instant Ocean Crystals to a Salinity of 1.026. Check the salinity of the tank after doing the water change.
Clean the skimmer cup.

Every Month
Remove the black sponges and rinse them in the old salt water.

Every 3 Months
Change 2 of my 4 filter media bags.

The fish are all fine and growing, so are my corals, I have no SPS at the moment, and will reassess adding corals in about another 6 months.

Corraline algae covers most of the live rock and much of the rear wall, so I am assuming that the tank is now pretty much established.

Here are some photos taken this morning:-
d591_1.jpg

d591_2.jpg

d591_3.jpg

d591_4.jpg

d591_5.jpg

Pat24601

Great pics Roy!

As you and I discussed, I've virtually forgone water testing as well. I think the testing was important early as I learned what my tank needs, but doesn't seem to matter so much anymore. I seem to keep things pretty stable by feel.

Glad to see everything going great!

NickF

Great pics Roy. Love your big toadstool, I had one in my 130 but it got too big for it , looks great in the 250 and I like where your have it placed. Any chance of a new video, I think it's time ;)

Roy Page

Great pics Roy. Love your big toadstool, I had one in my 130 but it got too big for it , looks great in the 250 and I like where your have it placed. Any chance of a new video, I think it's time ;)
Hi Nick,

Yes, the Leather Toadstool has really grown, had it now for 18 months and it has tripled in size.

Video? Well yes Part 11, a general update is compiling as I write this!
I shot some video today of introducing a few Berghia Nudibrachs to try and get my crop of Aiptasia under control.
So had enough footage to do a general update and included adding the new little guys.
I will post a link here in next 24 hours when it has been uploaded to YouTube.

NickF

Video update :woohoo: .

Yes those leathers grow like crazy, here's a pic of mine before I got rid of it:

The clowns used to love it so I was worried about getting rid but they soon went for the anemone (well the female did, she doesn't let the male anywhere near)

Roy Page

Video Update
Red Sea Max C-250 Reef Aquarium - Part 11 - Update At 20 Months.
The aquarium has now been in operation for about 20 months.

We have an outbreak of Aiptasia and show in this update the adding of some Berghia Nudibranchs hoping they will eat the Aiptasia.