royal gramma ich

what about cycle the tank?
You can actualy use some change out water from your DT for the first time...only the first time, because after that you will be treating for ich, and need to do seperate water changes...but this will give you a jump start, if you have a spare filter set up take the biological media and put it in your dt now...if not go buy one first thing and do that to help get the Bio started, then buy a tank and ciphon from the dt into the qt and get the filter running w/ seeded bio media. this method works good for a quick QT.

I would not buy anymore live stock untill you get a small qt set up...There are some good post's in fish disease section...check out the stickys from Leigh, as I said get the tank use water from the DT to get it filled use some bio media from the dt to seed your new filter then transfer fish then treat water w/copper based med.

mro2you2

I would not buy anymore live stock untill you get a small qt set up...There are some good post's in fish disease section...check out the stickys from Leigh, as I said get the tank use water from the DT to get it filled use some bio media from the dt to seed your new filter then transfer fish then treat water w/copper based med.

thank you so much.

do I wait any or is this a put together and add fish all in the same day?

as long as you use the water from your dt it is a same day thing just do it right and dont cut corners...good luck, remember check out the fish disease forum...alot more info about ich

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Since you do constant water changes so often the tanks really don't cycle like a reef would, you have to remember bare bottom and no decor it is simply water. this is a temporary setup so you can't compare to a typical setup.

using water from your DT is a good idea and a couple bio balls but with all the water changes there is really no time to for it to establish like you exspect in a reef.

Since you do constant water changes so often the tanks really don't cycle like a reef would, you have to remember bare bottom and no decor it is simply water. this is a temporary setup so you can't compare to a typical setup.

using water from your DT is a good idea and a couple bio balls but with all the water changes there is really no time to for it to establish like you exspect in a reef.
if you just " mix up salt water and let it heat up" Like you told him to do...I would have to say that it would probably kill the fish from shock, you should let your water sit for at least a day maybe longer, while circulating...it is still releasing gas's from the salt disolving and there are 0 nutrients in the water, if you just take water out of your display tank it would be like the fish never leaving his own water, then you can start treatment from there, and treat it as another tank and do regular water changes 10%...maybe twice a week. so that would be 1 gallon of a 10 gal tank hardly a constant water change.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Starting the QT
1.Fill QT with water from the display tank or make up fresh saltwater.
2.Start bio-filter (add sponge from display tank to QT and run it).
3.Tests: ammonia, nitrite, pH, specific gravity, and temperature of the QT water.
4.Make adjustments as needed.
5.The QT is ready for use.

Although this does have good info about setup:preparation

The sponge filter should be in the display system (e.g., sump) and running all the time to be seeded with nitrifying bacteria to be the biological filter for the QT. It takes about 4 to 8 weeks for the sponge to be ready to serve as the QT biological filter.

Starting the QT
1.Fill QT with water from the display tank or make up fresh saltwater.
2.Start bio-filter (add sponge from display tank to QT and run it).
3.Tests: ammonia, nitrite, pH, specific gravity, and temperature of the QT water.
4.Make adjustments as needed.
5.The QT is ready for use. Sounds familiar:biker