royal gramma ich

mro2you2

I had a royal gramma die about a month ago of ick. When it died only fish in the tank was a clown. The clown did not have any signs of ich ( but does a wierd scratching/dance on the wall, I think its hosting in it ).I would like to add another clown ( hopefully they will mate ) do I need to worry about the ich coming back. I REALLY wish I could set up a qt but but cant afford.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
quarantine the fish in a separate tank then treat for ich, when you get new fish qt them before adding to the DT.

all you need is a 10 gallon.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
If you remove the fish to a qt for treatment and let the ich run it's cycle in the dt which is 16 days, treat that clown and the one you were planning to buy then put them in the dt you won't have any more ich issues.

you should OT all fish before to avoid this issue.

I set up one a month ago and it cost's under $100 for everything, dont purchace the clown and you already have $20 towards it. You dont need to get fancy just a 10 Gal or so Tank $15, Heater $20, hood w/light $25, Filter $30. No need for substrate or decorations I just used a few piece's of PVC pipe. Good Luck.
BTW Ich can live for up to 8 weeks in your tank without any fish in there. Thats how long you need to take your fish out for.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I could be wrong on the above numbers for the life cycle of ich, been a while.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
No they don't get ich.

A rubbermain, heater, and a pump is all you really need and just keep up on water changes.

thanks all

do I need to qt any shrimp or hermits
No because they dont contract ich, and also the medicine used to treat ich contains copper wich will kill inverts i.e. Shrimp, Corals, ect. But it is a good practice to inspect those before putting them into your DT I usualy do this while I am aclimating them. Snails and corals can harbor other creatures and parasites you dont want in your tank...Good Luck and Happy Reefing.

mro2you2

No because they dont contract ich, and also the medicine used to treat ich contains copper wich will kill inverts i.e. Shrimp, Corals, ect. But it is a good practice to inspect those before putting them into your DT I usualy do this while I am aclimating them. Snails and corals can harbor other creatures and parasites you dont want in your tank...Good Luck and Happy Reefing.

dont know about happy reefing..... :grr: