Rocks found on Maui Shore

vdf8ball

Hello reef world I got a question for yous. I did a little snorkeling (Maui is AWESOME!!) and I came across some really pretty coral rock pieces in some brush along the shore. There's no life on them and I'm thinking they'd be nice souvenier pieces for my tank and since I've yet to cycle, this would be the time to do this. What do you think? Can I use them? Do i need to do anything special or can I just rinse 'em off good and go for it? Sorry but I'll have to wait 'till my return to post pics. Thanks

pwhitby

you can use them.

Make sure though they are bone dry and bright white to avoid issues at customs.

Soak in old tank water repeatedly for about a month or so, with powerhead and heater and all should be well.

Regards,

Paul.

vdf8ball

you can use them.

Make sure though they are bone dry and bright white to avoid issues at customs.

Soak in old tank water repeatedly for about a month or so, with powerhead and heater and all should be well.

Thanks for your input. They are mostly bright white but there is some light brown stripes also. I currently have an empty tank waiting for my return to put live sand/rocks and start the cycle. I thought I'd through these in to go through the cycle. No?

vdf8ball

i would use new water and do testing on it just to make double sure the rock is fine

Thanks for your reply. My thinking was to put them in to go through the cycle which I'm planning to start within the next 2 weeks. Not a good idea?

Oh yeah, I was just gonna put them in a box and mail it to myself.....never mind trying to get them on the plane with me.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hah - not trying to jinx you LOL! Just making you aware of something I've read about and seen on TV several times. I would think the coral skeleton might be OK with Pele. :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hah - not trying to jinx you LOL! Just making you aware of something I've read about and seen on TV several times. I would think the coral skeleton might be OK with Pele. :)
After reading that article Im not to sure!
cursed.jpg

nightfire76

just to be safe i would put it in a tote with ro water and test it and not in the display tank just incase it has something in it....if it read high in phospate then ya can treat it for that problem and ya didnt expose it to the display water....just an extra saftly step that may not be needed but makes ya feel better :D

vdf8ball

just to be safe i would put it in a tote with ro water and test it and not in the display tank just incase it has something in it....if it read high in phospate then ya can treat it for that problem and ya didnt expose it to the display water....just an extra saftly step that may not be needed but makes ya feel better :D

Thanks Nightfire! I scrubbed and cleaned them up using RODI water. Then I let them dry before putting them in a tote of RODI. I'll let them sit there for a few days then test the water and see what I get. Thanks for your well thought out advice ;-)