Ro water a Snobish ideal ???????????????????????

RO unit necessary or not !!!!!!!!!!

• absolutely yes

Votes: 43 56.6%
  • Not at all

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • its better but not necessary

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • i use tap water all the time no problem

Votes: 5 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cindyp

RO/DI is like an insurance policy you dont expect you will crash and burn but you never know. I prefer to use RO/DI it's just one less thing to worry about.
besides its delicious. yum yum:)
spose that makes me a snob

Luukosian

For a relatively small investment compared to the value of the stock in my tank I'd rather just have the piece of mind. Even if your water quality is good out of the tap today you never know what it will be like tomorrow. I've read articles that tap water from certain places has everything from trace amounts of pharmaceuticals, to copper and pesticides. I'll stick with the ro/di. I use tap in my freshwater tanks with no ill effects but that's a whole different discussion.

teesquare

Fcat:
sounds good.... - for most of the country I would bet that the DI resins would exhaust at a rate that makes your product water more expensive than , good quality RO/DI water.

Sounds like you are quite lucky to have good base water to start with. I just wonder if it varies with the time of year? If you live in an area anywhere near major agriculture, it will.
T

ChrisY

I know its an old thread, but I wouldn't call RO/DI being snobish by any stretch. I have not always used it, but I can say for sure that after I did my tank quality improved (~8-9 years ago). Along those lines since I have not seen one in a long time, I called my local Water Authority (thats what we call the water company here) and asked for a copy of the latest water quality sample. They are putting one in the mail today.

Chris

My husband, until he met me, used tapwater. His top offs was not only tapwater..... but water straight from the garden hose! His water changes he would treat. Never asked why one and not the other. Possibly volume. We live in L.A., our water sucks so that I don't even drink it myself. I don't know off hand how many years this was hubby's practice, but he's had a tank for something like 50 years now. So, it's been awhile.

I just like my RO/DI. I started when our city added chloramines to the water and it killed my freshies. They dumped a load of it in after a hurricane flood.

How can I argue with his sucess? It would be easy to say my way was better, but on what grounds? There was absolutely no difference in his tank and mine, so I really don't have an arguement. My tanks were up about 10 years when I met him and his maybe 20-25.

There's a ton of people who use RO/DI and still have nuisance issues. Most threads titled "Help! It's taking over".... they mainly have RO/DI. I went through threads on forums, most people seem to have RO/DI now-a-days, but the algae problems remain. I went through all this work to possibly prove the hubby wrong. What I found didn't support MY views.

Don't get me wrong, I change filters when my TDS hit 1. I wouldn't live without my RO/DI. But I don't have a leg to stand on when I argue with my husband about it. You can have an awesome long standing reef tank with the use of tapwater with a TDS of 300-400+.

redneckgearhead

How can I argue with his sucess? It would be easy to say my way was better, but on what grounds? There was absolutely no difference in his tank and mine, so I really don't have an arguement. My tanks were up about 10 years when I met him and his maybe 20-25.

There's a ton of people who use RO/DI and still have nuisance issues. Most threads titled "Help! It's taking over".... they mainly have RO/DI. I went through threads on forums, most people seem to have RO/DI now-a-days, but the algae problems remain. I went through all this work to possibly prove the hubby wrong. What I found didn't support MY views.

Don't get me wrong, I change filters when my TDS hit 1. I wouldn't live without my RO/DI. But I don't have a leg to stand on when I argue with my husband about it. You can have an awesome long standing reef tank with the use of tapwater with a TDS of 300-400+.
A reef tank for 50 years? Wow now that is impressive!

No, not a reef tank the whole time. He started as a freshie. His Dad was heavy into the hobby. He still has his old antique saltwater setups when there was no silicone on them. 30 years? Something like that.

When I saw the hose deal, I almost had a heart attack and the practice changed imediately. He married me and my RO/DI. It's my deal, so I'm the one who changes the filters order new ones blah blah blah. He carried them inside, that was his contribution to my clean water :) But I STILL can't say my way is better, it's just what I feel most comfortable with.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
most salt mixes are designed for ro/di waters lower ph, tap water is variable in ph depending on time of year, maintenance etc, tap water is as you found ... subject to "the filthy hand of man" nobody knows what goes on at the water board, I live in a country with the supposed BEST water in the world, I don't drink tap water unless its in coffee, can't stand the chlorine smell of a shower, ro/di is a stable source ingredient in our tanks, tap water is an unknown quantity that can have many surprise additives

most salt mixes are designed for ro/di waters lower ph, tap water is variable in ph depending on time of year, maintenance etc, tap water is as you found ... subject to "the filthy hand of man" nobody knows what goes on at the water board, I live in a country with the supposed BEST water in the world, I don't drink tap water unless its in coffee, can't stand the chlorine smell of a shower, ro/di is a stable source ingredient in our tanks, tap water is an unknown quantity that can have many surprise additives

Yes, I agree, that's my arguments. Then he points to his tank. DANG! Lost again.

We still have the rock from that tank, but it's been taken down and put back up many times in the last 6 years. We finally bought a house I am going to die in, as I am never EVER moving again. We have 13 tanks.... moving was always horrific (I'm nauseous thinking about it). But that's what happens when you meet someone through the hobby, it just EXPLODES!!!!

As for myself I'm still on the fence about ro units. The reason being for that is I still have access to the well on our old place.when it was drilled the company drilled for 24 hours straight went down 270 feet and hit an underground river that flows over limestone. They tested the water then. The test proved it was some of the purest water around. The limestone acts as a natural filter. I also have access to a natural spring. My advice if u r not sure take a sample of ur water and have it tested. Most places will test it for free. My only draw back to the well is its extremely cold even during the summer wich made water fights out of the question as a kid.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
As for myself I'm still on the fence about ro units. The reason being for that is I still have access to the well on our old place.when it was drilled the company drilled for 24 hours straight went down 270 feet and hit an underground river that flows over limestone. They tested the water then. The test proved it was some of the purest water around. The limestone acts as a natural filter. I also have access to a natural spring. My advice if u r not sure take a sample of ur water and have it tested. Most places will test it for free. My only draw back to the well is its extremely cold even during the summer wich made water fights out of the question as a kid.
All fine and well however all ground water is subject to whatever some moron spills near it, certain times of the year nature adds its own mix and lets not forget run off from fertilizers, with an ro/di you won't get caught and lose a ton of money

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
I agree Sas. RO/DI is a safety net. Wells are great, well through a RO/DI, even better. :)

...."Fish" Happens!....

Tru2nr

I say hogwash lol...late to the game on this but IME tap water is horrible for a reef tank...nutrients+ high intensity lighting= algae, and yes I ran a reef tank off tap water with CF and t5s. I could neget rid of my algae issues, was even replacing bulbs every 6 months...new tank armed with new rock a tds meter rodi system and 400w more lighting over 20 gallons more of water I have natural progression algae issues...and that's it nothing as bad as what I had after 1 month of tap water.

Yes people with ro/di will still have algae and its because of the natural progression of life in a tank. Also those commercial aquariums who utilize huge uv sterilizers chemical filtration and oh by the way happen to have marine biologists on staff to monitor everything every day using chemicals to control everything over thousands of upon thousands gallons that holds true of the adage of the "solution to pollution is dilution"

After talking to everyone here and doing some extra research I have made plans on investing in an ro unit, also to keep our water bill down I have decided to use the 2nd spring I have access to mainly to keep from hauling water. Since it is iron water I will definitely need it. Plus I like the idea of protecting my investment, also like with all my pets I want the best for them.