Ricordia

greneis7

I don't really want to mount the new ricordia I got on a rock or anything. I set him on the bottom and the current took him for a bit of a ride :redcar:
I don't think it's permanent, but he kind of twisted himself into a figure eight now. How do I make him flat again?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Love Rics !
009.gif
He should flatten out again on his own, mine do that sometimes...

http://sites.google.com/a/asira.org/www2/corallimorphia(ricordiaandmushrooms)

seafansar

Rics need to be attached to something or they will just float around. At least attach it to a small rock.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Mine roll-up thier edges from time to time, but are attached to rocks.

+1 ^ I would attach him to a rock if he is not attached to anything... you can put him on a small rock & wrap all with bride veil & in a couple of weeks he should attach to the rock.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
you can get a foot square of it for a few cents at fabric store... some put rock/rubble in a cup, the ric on top & cover with plastic with holes punched it.

some have luck super gluing them, but I tried that & it didn't work well for me.

smkndrgn142

mine moved around for a year before he found himself a spot he liked and attached himself. He's moved since then, but now I have new rics in every place he stopped.

GrendelPrime

just put him in a glass cup with some rock rubble and u can cover it with some plastic wrap and pop holes in it so u have some water flow

greneis7

I think my little guy and I are going to run to JoAnn Fabrics real quick and pick up some mesh "stuff". I'm sure that it won't be the last time I'll need to cover something in my tank.
Thanks guys!!!

greneis7

By the way - he's flattened out already. I was worried for nothing. =)
Still going to put him on something though.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good luck... try a small glass like shot glass, rock in bottom, brides veil (if you get some) over the top & a rubber band holding the netting to the glass.

greneis7

lol Ok, now I'm laughing at my "surgical" abilities.
I went and got the veil, set the ricordia on a piece of rock and then wrapped it. It looks kinda "special" I'll post a pic - do you think it would be okay like this, or should I just stick it in a cup?
I don't think it would fit in a shot glass... it would get smooshed on the sides.
tank012-1.jpg

Picture of Operating Room #2

Cassette87

Seems like you have this case figured out already, but for if it's of any help to you, I'll share my method to the madness.

I keep a collection of small, broken pieces of dead rock, and a bottle of super glue gel on standby; "Gel" is very important here. A Ricordea florida or yuma can be removed from the water momentarily with no issues, so pick your rock, apply a very small dab of super glue gel to the rock, and place the polyp's foot, centered best as possible, on the rock.

You dont' need to "push" the poylp into the gel, in fact this would likely sieze up much more of the Ric's tissue, and prevent expansion. Best bet is simply place it on and place it in the tank. The small adhered area will be just enough to keep 'er steady until some new growth occurs :)

Hope this helps!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Looks from the pic like that is going to work !

Andy's tip I have heard works too... I tried it once, but my ric released from the super glue gel - then we had a "frag shop" seminar at our local reef club & everyone was given some veil & we practiced it that way & it worked for me.

sambrinar

you could also put a small tuperware bowl filled with rubble toss in the ric and cover it with the Tulle' (veil stuff) and rubber band the Tulle' over the bowl and then it can attach to whatever it wants... that works too

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You might wait 2 weeks to be safer - if it comes loose after 1 week it's like starting over again.