RGB LED strip for RSM 130

Silvio

Hi everyone,

Did anyone attempted to do a mod on RSM130 to add a RGB light strip like this one: Waterproof 1-Meter 4.5W 30-LED RGB Light Strip ?

They can be cut to a smaller size, so I was tempted to attach one between the splash guard and the front opening and use it to simulate dawn/dusk via a DIY controller. I'm afraid that it would be too close to the water, creating several punctual lights instead of a smooth look.

Any thoughts?

N83259

I haven't used this product or anything like it. I did look at the link and noticed that the lights were 0.15 watts each so I have to wonder how much useful light it would provide. Also this product was made for the automobile market and although advertised as waterproof, I wonder how it would age in a marine environment. I have seen decorative LEDs in multi-colors for sale but can't find the info now....so there is a purpose-built product out there.

brunosmith

Hi! I'm newbie here. :goofy:
I haven't used this product or anything like it either but I want to. I was thinking waterproof in multi-colors too, something like this LED rope light
Did u guys finally attach it ? How was the result?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello brunosmith and welcome to RS!

Why in the world (and HOW) would you mount 16.4 FEET of LED inside of a hood that's only 20" or so wide?

reefer gladness

They RGB model might not be available yet but Ecoxotic's Panorama Pro LED line are modular 12.5 inch long strips, linkable (up to 3 per power supply) and put out a respectable 19 watts each. You can see the model numbers and specs for the RGB light strip and controller in the link below.

http://www.ecoxotic.com/community/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Panorama_Pro_Specs.pdf

Waterproof and only 1/2 inch high, my planned build will include two of the 12k white/445nm modules with reflector mounted on the underside of the hood (1 on each side of the T5's). This will be supplemental light for corals (close to 5watts per gallon with 2 x 55 watt T5's) and should give a nice shimmer.