RedSea Max/ Euroreef Skimmer Page

pwrmac2

Im a little confused??? FedEx just drop off my ER Skimmer and it has only one pump. I notice a few posts up some talk about a design change since I placed my order. Not sure if I should send it back or what? How does this new skimmer perform? Anybody familiar with the new design? Does it perform as well as the old design or is it better? Is the ER still going to perform better than the Tuzne 9002 I'm replacing now that it has only one pump?

Last edited:

tnwillia

pwrmac2... look at post 1159 a page back Riobbert talks about changing the 130 to a single pump. Hope this helps.

rhogeo

So, the current shipping model for the 130 is a single pump? I went to the website and noticed it still says 2 pumps? Also, will price be lowered any since only one pump is being used?

Thanks.

- geoff

redseareef

RS Sponsor
rhogeo,
Yes, the current model we ship is now a single pump. IT is a bit less in price, and gives you more room in the back chamber.
The size of the mesh wheel has been increased for more flow/air intake as well. Really nice.

tnwillia

Robbert..... Terry and I were wondering, are the 4 holes on the nano skimmer cup lid drilled to a specific diameter? We have both had the lids blown off or up with the very dense/dry skimmate. If we drill out these holes a little larger will it in anyway effect performance? will it make any difference with the force of the dry bubble column rising? Thanks for your help!

nanoskim

Robbert..... Terry and I were wondering, are the 4 holes on the nano skimmer cup lid drilled to a specific diameter? We have both had the lids blown off or up with the very dense/dry skimmate. If we drill out these holes a little larger will it in anyway effect performance? will it make any difference with the force of the dry bubble column rising? Thanks for your help!

You can make the holes larger where possible... this should relieve the air pressure due to the exploding air bubbles and keep the lid from popping up...you guys are collecting way too much skim mate:apint:

Regards,
Robbert

flynfish

Robbert, I just got the skimmer up and running with the new impellers. It's doing a great job with a lot less microbubbles.
What volume of water can it handle? After the holidays I'm ditching the RSM and starting a 75g, just wondering if the skimmer could handle a 75g?

nanoskim

Robbert, I just got the skimmer up and running with the new impellers. It's doing a great job with a lot less microbubbles.
What volume of water can it handle? After the holidays I'm ditching the RSM and starting a 75g, just wondering if the skimmer could handle a 75g?

To be honest, there are too many parameters involved that affect a straight forward yes or no answer.
However there are ways you can tell whether the skimmer is keeping up with the bioload and feeding:

- if nitrates stay low, 0-5 ppm
- no nuisance algae starts to grow (assuming no phosphates)
- water stays crystal clear
Then I would say the skimmer can handle the load.

Are you going to be using a sump with your new 75g? If so, I am testing a 5"OD skimmer with a transition, coupling and large cup using two of the current skimmer pumps. This design will remove organics much faster then the smaller bodied skimmers because of the 2.5"OD foam riser tube within the cup. I can send you some pics of the skimmer if you are interested.

Regards,
Robbert

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
However there are ways you can tell whether the skimmer is keeping up with the bioload and feeding:

- if nitrates stay low, 0-5 ppm
- no nuisance algae starts to grow (assuming no phosphates)
- water stays crystal clear
Then I would say the skimmer can handle the load

Is it fair to say my stock skimmer is working by this definition?

my nitrates stay low, 0-5 ppm, my tank alage free & my tanks water stays crystal clear

rroselavy

If so, I am testing a 5"OD skimmer with a transition, coupling and large cup using two of the current skimmer pumps.

You mean...gasp...my 3.5" skimmer is no longer the BIGGEST!?!?! :tears:

Seriously, I thought you would have to use 3 pumps on a larger skimmer. Go figure...

I'd like to see some pics if you care to share Robbert...

nanoskim

You mean...gasp...my 3.5" skimmer is no longer the BIGGEST!?!?! :tears:

Seriously, I thought you would have to use 3 pumps on a larger skimmer. Go figure...

I'd like to see some pics if you care to share Robbert...

Do not feel too bad...if I had the parts I would have gone to a 4-4.5" OD body but we only have parts for 5" OD bodies.
The reason why you only need two pumps is because of the 2.5" OD foam riser tube which allows the huge amount of foam to be very stable and exit quickly. The skimmer is only about 17" high.

I have never posted pics on this forum but will find out how to do this.

Regards,
Robbert