RedSea Max/ Euroreef Skimmer Page

Bobby B

I run this skimmer with Chemipure Elite and SeaChem Purigen in a Stevie T's media rack and 1 1/2 tablespoons of Rowaphos in bag. Skimmer works awesome

Mine arrived for my RSM 250 on Friday. After a couple of days it's doing a much better job at generating skimmate than stock. It is definitely a much easier unit to tune than the stock skimmer. The stock skimmer works, just not as well.

I only need to use 1 pump and I raised it off the bottom about 3/4" to get the water level right for it. The hood stays completely closed and it's quieter than stock skimmer.

I do now turn off all my pumps when feeding or that fine mesh wheel will get clogged up and pump won't work as well.

I'm very happy with this purchase and quality is excellent.

Vilma06

Hi everyone! Hopefully somebody is still answering here... I have a new RSM 250 and I have no noise problems with the skimmer. But I do have a huge problem with temperature! It's going way too high and now I've read that the skimmer was the reason for this couple of years ago. Is it still true nowadays? And if it is, would it help if I bought The Nano Reef Systems RSM250 Nano Skimmer? Really don't want to buy a chiller, I live in Finland and the summer are not that hot here.. I believed Red Sea advertisement and thought I wouldn't need a chiller but something needs to be done for sure now. The temp is too high even now in september when the room temperature is normal 22 degrees celsius. All-in-one, yeah right.

Thanks for helping out!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
The skimmer is a part of the temp issues but it is really a combination of all of the pumps, lights and the fact that it has a closed hood. I went with a chiller simply for peace of mind.

JKT69

I have this skimmer and am having major issues...
First, the filter sock overflows the skimmer cup, even with the valve completely open.
Without the sock, it looks like snow in my tank.
The only thing I can think of is to raise the skimmer up, but I don't know how to do that....

I have this skimmer and am having major issues...
First, the filter sock overflows the skimmer cup, even with the valve completely open.
Without the sock, it looks like snow in my tank.
The only thing I can think of is to raise the skimmer up, but I don't know how to do that....

What I did with mine (and I'm only running one pump) is that I found an old plastic block that was bout 3/4" tall x 2" wide x 4" long to raise mine up off the bottom. Just placed it in the back chamber, then let the skimmer ride on top of it. Mine's been running since February and gives me no grief - other than emptying/cleaning it about 3x per week.

Not sure how long yours has been in the tank, but mine took about a week to really get running good. The bubbles will cease. That reminds me, I need to clean my filter sock this week. I clean it about every other week to make sure it doesn't get "gunked" up.

Hope that helps!

Gary

I used some half inch vinyl tubing to raise it off the bottom.

I don't run the filter sock at all.. I just run one pump in the bottom location... Plugged hole in top location with plug that comes with unit.

No bubbles are coming into my tank...

Make sure your adjustment tube that lets you adjust bubble level is firmly connected at the bottom. Also, check that the pump cover is firmly attached.. I ended up putting a zip tie on it.. They silicon it, but one cleaning and that seal is not that tight.

Good Luck!

JKT69

You run one pump in the bottom location? This one only has one pump. No matter what I do, the water level comes half way up the skimmer cup and constantly overflows...even with the filter sock it's a microbubble factory. Very frustrating. I have it lifted in my tank about 3.5 inches and still having the same problems. Doesn't make any sense to me.

I used some half inch vinyl tubing to raise it off the bottom.

I don't run the filter sock at all.. I just run one pump in the bottom location... Plugged hole in top location with plug that comes with unit.

No bubbles are coming into my tank...

Make sure your adjustment tube that lets you adjust bubble level is firmly connected at the bottom. Also, check that the pump cover is firmly attached.. I ended up putting a zip tie on it.. They silicon it, but one cleaning and that seal is not that tight.

Good Luck!

Cirtess

Oh lord.. I just bought one of these.. waiting for delivery. the stock unit doesn't work well... please tell me this one will do better. from what I'm reading, I am beginning to wonder....

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
wish I could... but as you can see in this thread... there is mixed reviews on this skimmer, most seem to have problems with it - several long time RSM Club members were excited to give it a try, but have since given up on it

a few members seems to like it... it's not clearly one I could recommend from everything I have read about it & PMs RSM club members have sent me about it & dealing with the company trying to get it to work

but best of luck !

I bought the one for the Redsea Max 250... it has two pumps... .. so I plugged top hole with the plug that it comes with and just use one pump in the lower location.

If you have a RSM 130... My information is probably not helpful to you.. Sorry...

I have had mine for a few months now.. and I am still very happy with it.