RedSea Max/ Euroreef Skimmer Page

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Hi Tony,
The bubble trap is done I believe. If you need one just let me know. I am not even sure what the pricing is as of yet. I will try and fin d out here this morning!

Thanks!

redseareef

RS Sponsor
alucrep,
Once the skimmer is fully broken in, both pumps should be ran with no problems at all! I run a two pump version on my 130! No bubble trap or problems........

Bathtub

I have tried to break in my single pump version again this week (total time i have tried to break in is about 20 days in tank)- it still just makes the back chamber look like soda water....
I tried throttling back the pump outlet into factor chamber to slow flow, but that has not helped.
I keep meaning to make a bubble trap to a design I have an idea for, but never get time. I really want to run the euroreef- so am keen to get the bubble trap asap running bio pearls), money pretty much doesn't matter on this one for me.... Any ideas when it will be out?

tnwillia

You only talk about the back chamber, are the bubbles geetting into your DT? Mine fizzed all the time (original dual pump in 250) but it stayed in the back chamber. Good luck!

Bathtub

Unfortunately the buubles REALLY pull through to DT, literally it goes like I have added milk!
May be because I have the 2eheim mini 600's replacing the stock power heads- so I have a lot of flow through the back chamber (saying that even with only 1 on it made no difference)
I tried all the sponge in the reactor/ heater chamber tricks- no difference.
I love the kit though so would be great to use it- so well made....

tnwillia

If you can't beat it anyother way, you can put the skimmer on a timmer and only run it overnight during lights off. Have you checked/sealed up the blue covers on the pumps? there are a few places people have found and closed air leaks on both the pumps and body. Good luck with it!

Bathtub

With the bio pearls (that I am now in love with as have zero nitrates- something I never thought possible) I need 24/7 aeration.
I haven't checked body for leaks to be honest- construction looks so good (especially versus tunze and rsm stock)..
I am at a loss as it is so bad, something must be wrong, most people don't see this and I consider myself a techie at trouble shooting... At a bit of a loss!

redseareef

RS Sponsor
bathtub,
Due to your increased flow, that may be the problem. However, what you add to the tank water may contribute to the problem as well. The new bubble trap I would think would solve the problem. What all are you adding to the tank water?

Thank you
Todd Santora
Global Aquarium Supply

Bathtub

I'm just running red sea salt- the new RO formulation.
Water is RO/DI.
Other media is fluidised marine bio pearls (which is why I'd love to get the euroreef in there) and fluidised seagel.
the bubble breakthrough is really something to behold though- the back section really is like fizzy soda- or no bubbles at all i.e. the slightest air and it goes crazy)not the air valve- tried 3).
With the return pumps, dropping to 1 on min flow (so about the same as stock)- makes no odds- it is like a stream of milk into the DT- and it's all bubbles.
happy to stump up the cash to be a guinea pig with no complaints of it doesn't work...
Roy

pwrmac2

The bubble traps for the RSM 130 and 250 are available. Check the nanoreefsystems website.

Robbert

Robbert,

One other question. What is the body length of this model RSM skimmer suppose to be?

1000000132.jpg

dpecheux

For those who are still interested I bought the bubble trap for the 130d and ....it does not work correctly. It blocks the water output after a few minutes and the water goes into the cup ....

paulydee

i was wondering how long for skimmer to break in .its been 5 weeks now.still not acting right. thanks
Re: RedSea Max/ Euroreef Skimmer Page

Hey Juan, yeah, that looks like mine! Take some pictures once it's in - I'm curious if it's the same height as mine or not (a photo up close of how high up the top of the cup is would be nice). Mine has clear air tubes vs your opaque ones - just a difference I noticed

I'm happy to report that mine is getting more and more stable now. It still sometimes fills the cup quickly but is certainly making more consistent foam more often now. Usually microbubbles aren't too bad either - but they're more than I'd like. Take a look at your microbubbles now - and then compare what they're like once your skimmer has broken in.

FYI, for my tank I wasn't able to run both pumps together. I had to run one at a time. To get to run both pumps it took:
1. Lowering the water level to about the 6th notch from the top.
2. Running one of the pumps with an air valve to cut down on the air flowing into the skimmer (less air will prevent it from bubbling over as much).
3. A lot of break in time (~6 weeks I think), but even then it wasn't running both pumps until I lowered the water level.

Todd, two questions for you about my skimmer pumps:
1. One makes a loud whirring sound when it starts up. It also does it from time to time when it's been running for hours (annoying). Any idea why it might be doing that / what's causing it?

2. The other skimmer doesn't seem to pull much air. The first one has a significant suction against my finger (on the air hose). But the other has no real suction. Maybe this hose is a bit clogged? However, I can blow air through it easily enough...

Any ideas on these pump issues? The one with the whirring has done that since I got it. Thanks,
--Kyle
thanks kyle for info about the air valve its works with it .
now to get a non-metal one from the lfs tomorrow.
thanks paul

Last edited: