RedSea Max/ Euroreef Skimmer Page

alucrep

Hi,

I bought a RED SEA MAX 250 2-PUMP NANO SKIMMER from Nano Reef Systems a week ago. Is it made on order basis? What is the usual delay delivery?

Besides, do you guys have something to tell me before I start running the best? I went for that upgrade but the stock skimmer was not that bad I think. I just wanted to have some room to feed a little more my fishes and corals.

mattr69

Thanks for the help everyone. I was looking through some of the older posts in this thread and saw a few references modifying the pump volute. Is this a hack or is this something that's done on the new pumps?

redseareef

RS Sponsor
alucrep,
Todd here from Global Aquarium. I would contact Robbert directly and speak with him about it. I know shipments are slightly delayed this time of year due to the holidays.
You are going to love the skimmer! Happy Holidays!

redseareef

RS Sponsor
matt,
The volutes do NOT need modifying in my opinion! They work perfectly well right out of the factory.
I have used my standard ones with zero problems and excellent air intake!
They are great skimmers and pull alot of sludge out of the water!!!

mattr69

Ok. That's good to know i don't need to modify the volutes. I've had some problems with them not drawing air properly but I've found it's caused by the impeller. The original impellers were best (but I know some people had problems with them breaking down overtime). I'm using one now while I wait for the replacements to arrive and the intake sound as air is drawn into the pump is much smoother like a gentle purr where the first replacement impellers make a gurgling sound. I'm interested to see how these new impellers perform.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
mattr69,
The new impellers are the originals with a new coating on them. I have been running mine for over 12 weeks with zero problems at all!
For the performance, if they last 1 year I will be very happy with them.....
You really need a Dwyer meter so you can check the intake anytime you desire..............

Nowellsy SNR

Hi guys done some maintenance on my skimmer switched it back on and it seems that one of the pumps is'nt producing any air took it back out checked the pump and its running fine should i be worried?

Thanks Anthony

nanoskim

Hi guys done some maintenance on my skimmer switched it back on and it seems that one of the pumps is'nt producing any air took it back out checked the pump and its running fine should i be worried?

Thanks Anthony

Hi Anthony,

If the pump is not producing foam then check:

1. Remove any debris from the mesh impeller using a tooth brush while running under stream of water. If mesh is clogged it will not produce foam.
2. Rinse the muffler under fresh water to remove any salt build up.
3. Ream the venturie inlet nipple with a drill bit which just fits and rinse in fresh water...removes calcium and salt buildup
4. If you run calcium in your system, soak the pump in mixture of vinegar/water (30/70 mixture) to remove calcium from the pump shaft...impeller will slow down if there is a calcium buildup and cannot draw any air through the venturie.

Hope this helps,

Robbert
Nanoreefsystems

Nowellsy SNR

Anybody in Europe/UK re-placed there mesh impeller if so could you please tell me where you bought them from?

Thanks Anthony

Nowellsy SNR

How do these look to you guys sorry not the best pic

03caf897.jpg

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Anthony,
That one looks like brand new. IT looks like the silicon carbide mesh. The new ones produce even more foam, and mine are on over 3 months I think with zero problems. I think you will love the new ones!

alucrep

Correct!
The new skimmers have been redesigned to fit under the hood of the RSM 130 and the RSM 250 and are totally silent.

nanoskim
Yes the skimmer is silent but, at least for the 250, you need to lower the level in the rear compartments if you want to use the 2 skimmer pumps (I am using only one right now). You will then start to hear water falling behind.