Red Sea Monster 2000L+ in-Wall System

tnwillia

Sorry Juan, Sorry about the Ich! I may be wrong here but I think I read last year that once the tank had Ich it had it forever. Your fish that get thru it build up a risistance to it but it never went a way in the tank. I hope I'm wrong but I think that is what I read. I also read about Tangs as well as other fish, the use of Garlic extract and keeping then WELL fed as a way to keep them healthy. Good luck!!!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Dealing with ich no fun at all, so sorry to hear ! Every time I add a fish, I worry about this possibility, as I don't have a QT tank.

Lee's advise (stickies) in the disease & treatment forum is your best bet to whipping it, I think it's like an 8-10 week process.

I do think you are right... about letting the tank mature more (6 months +) & working on corals and more hardy fish, before adding any more tangs, they seem to stress so very easily, then they eat less, weaken their immune systems & become susceptible ich.

imaccat

Juan,

Sorry to hear about the ich, I've used copper treatment in the past with varying success, but never hyposalinity, so I can't help on that. If the LFS have a hospital tank set up I would try and use that if possible. Once the disease is in the DT then I think you have to leave it fishless for 2-3 months to ensure the parasite has died off, would the LFS keep them for that long?

Good luck and keeping my fingers crossed for ya.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tom I don't understand it either, it has to come from somewhere, seems if we add a snail, or a coral or pods or anything it could be introduced.

Just my opinion... but I think Lee's http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/29836-mature-aquarium.html thread that is very very conservative... in the timeline adding fish & letting a tank mature ( that lots of us push, including me and get away with it) comes from his dealing with diseases (ich) and he has seen & knows there is a correlation. Seems to me somehow a mature tank allows the fish a better chance to not stress & eat well & not become so susceptible to the ich.

tnwillia

Agree, another great read! I've only had Ich once "when my tank was new" and never since knock on wood. I've stuck to the same 3 dealers for my fish and I think that's part of my luck. It just seems your almost always going to go thru this with a Tang but I know that does not have to be the case. Thanks!

1357HA

Sorry to hear about the ich. If I may suggest, I will take the fish to the LFS (amazonia), they seem to have passion about this, they also have lots of experience and a huge QT.
Keep it up…

jpsika08

Very sorry to hear about the ich :(

Thanks Terry.

That's a bummer on the ich Juan, I hope you can overcome it quickly.

Thanks Kay.

My cleaner shrimp proved his worth when my Blue Tang had some spots?

I'm really considering adding a couple of cleaners today, thanks Greg.

Sorry Juan, Sorry about the Ich! I may be wrong here but I think I read last year that once the tank had Ich it had it forever. Your fish that get thru it build up a resistance to it but it never went a way in the tank. I hope I'm wrong but I think that is what I read. I also read about Tangs as well as other fish, the use of Garlic extract and keeping then WELL fed as a way to keep them healthy. Good luck!!!!

Tom, you're right, even I think all fish have ICH at some level within their systems, problem is when they get stressed their immune system drops and ICH takes control, I read somewhere that the ICH never goes away and this is why it's important to have all fish very healthy so their systems can let ICH attack them. Need to read more though.

Dealing with ich no fun at all, so sorry to hear ! Every time I add a fish, I worry about this possibility, as I don't have a QT tank.

Lee's advise (stickies) in the disease & treatment forum is your best bet to whipping it, I think it's like an 8-10 week process.

I do think you are right... about letting the tank mature more (6 months +) & working on corals and more hardy fish, before adding any more tangs, they seem to stress so very easily, then they eat less, weaken their immune systems & become susceptible ich.

Thanks Glenn, form now on, QT is my best friend.
I read Lee's stickies yesterday and even made a post to him so hopefully he will see it today, thanks again.

Juan,

Sorry to hear about the ich, I've used copper treatment in the past with varying success, but never hyposalinity, so I can't help on that. If the LFS have a hospital tank set up I would try and use that if possible. Once the disease is in the DT then I think you have to leave it fishless for 2-3 months to ensure the parasite has died off, would the LFS keep them for that long?

Good luck and keeping my fingers crossed for ya.

Thanks Iain, as I'm typing, LFS guy is at my house picking up the Kole at first which is the main affected, really don't know about the rest, he will check each of this to determine the size of the problem.
As Tom stated above, I think the parasite never dies, it will be there always, so it's important to have the fish very healthy with a good nutrition and vitamins.

Thank you again.

Tom I don't understand it either, it has to come from somewhere, seems if we add a snail, or a coral or pods or anything it could be introduced.

Just my opinion... but I think Lee's http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/29836-mature-aquarium.html thread that is very very conservative... in the timeline adding fish & letting a tank mature ( that lots of us push, including me and get away with it) comes from his dealing with diseases (ich) and he has seen & knows there is a correlation. Seems to me somehow a mature tank allows the fish a better chance to not stress & eat well & not become so susceptible to the ich.

+Zillion agree Glenn.

Agree, another great read! I've only had Ich once "when my tank was new" and never since knock on wood. I've stuck to the same 3 dealers for my fish and I think that's part of my luck. It just seems your almost always going to go thru this with a Tang but I know that does not have to be the case. Thanks!

Yes, Tangs are always a big risk, I should had gone at first with a Yellow Tang, which IMHO they are the hardiest of the Tangs.

Sorry to hear about the ich. If I may suggest, I will take the fish to the LFS (amazonia), they seem to have passion about this, they also have lots of experience and a huge QT.
Keep it up…

Thanks Harold, fish (Tang) is at Amazonia right now.

jpsika08

Well, LFS guy went in to take the Kole, it wasn't difficult as the poor fish was already even swimming belly up (really bad signs), based on his assumption, he will not make it, if we see he is suffering too much, maybe I will freeze him for a more humane death.

He checked rest of fishes, Chromis are great, very active and no problems presented, also the clowns are good, just little bruises as they have been fighting against each other the last couple of days, and the Multicolor angel also is good, no signs of ICH, so, I will give garlic to them from here onward, I will be checking upon them constantly just to see any signs of ICH and in case it happens, LFS is ready before it gets too far as it was with the Kole.

jpsika08

Well, LFS just called, the Kole was suffering a lot so he freezed him and he went into his final sleep :(

I will remove all remaining fish on Saturday so they don't end with the same fate.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sorry about the Kole Juan :( Keeping my fingers crossed on the other fish.

thfwp-smiley-09.gif

Mischko

Sorry to hear, Juan! But Ich is the wrong term for it, it is Cryptocarion irritans and even putting new fish a QT won't help you since about every fish and tank is latent infected by it. Outbreak occurs on a fish due to stress in any form which weakens the imune system. Same with us humans at times like herpes. Everyone has it.
What you can do to prevent it is to feed vitamines, specially Tangs need a huge variety. Remember me posting about veggies and fruits? What can help is a huge skimmer skimming out spores of Cryptocarion irritans, Ozon in the skimmer and of course UVC, but the use of UVC when you noticed the first white spots is too late then. Ozon helps killing the spores in the water even after a few hours of use!!! For 1000 litres you can go up to 45 mg/h for a short time, but water must pass Carbon before returned. Garlic helps, but be aware your tank will stink worse than a turkish Kebab shop in high summer if you use the proper dosis. Garlic has Alliin but also the zytoxic Allicin. Allicin works almost like Penecilin. Best is to use a solution which has about 1 - 1,5% Alliin.
Another thing to prevent an outbreak is to have cleaner fish/shrimps in the tank. Most of all, proper food with lots of vitamines and amino acids is deffo helping. Soaking the food in a proper quality vitamine solution daily will help for sure, good food flakes, too. I am using here regulary a multi-vitamine juice for kids from the pharmacy. Another thing to keep in mind, the Cryptocarion irritans is mostly a secundary disease which outbreak is caused by a primary one. To help the fish fight the primary garlic (Alliin) sure helps the fish recover from it.
And don't you dare to use Copper!!!

jpsika08

Thank you very much Mischko, great info, Ozone I will not use as I have read around that is lethal to humans, even in a small portion but it is on the long run, don't want my kids having even the slightest problem with it just because of my hobby, though, UV is a tentative way, I know that it will not kill ICH but I think if the tank goes fishless, as it's a Sterilizer it will sterile the parasite and this will be eradicated quicker, maybe possible?

Which vitamins do you use? I definitely want to mix these when feeding fish, as well as garlic (Even if it means dealing with the stink LOL).
I have been using regular human Garlic, I can't find the fish oriented one locally, is this ok?

Thank you again.

Mischko

Thumb rule of using Ozone, if the skimmer smells like a thunder storm coming up, it's too much. If you have a laser printer it probably releases more Ozone each time you print. Good comparision, if your skimmer smells like your printer/copier than you are using too much. Keep in mind Ozone is highly reactive and in a skimmer it will react at once. Of course, it's toxic and using more than is needed in a tank has effects on its inhabitants. I am using about 2-4 mg/h and I don't smell anything here nor see any side effects in the tank so far. Nor on our cats living inside or on me. Well, I am special though ;-)
For the garlic, you can press fresh garlic out, but you can't keep it long as in preparing garlic for a week or such. Alliin/Allicin are pretty unstable and react quick. For the vitamines, as mentioned before, I am using at times a children vitamine mix plus this stuff Ultra-Min/s. You can soak your food in it or just drop some into the water. The corals like it, too!
And again, fresh veggies and fruits. Don't underestimate that for the vegitarians in our tanks. Sure, you have to try out which your fish like best, but sure worth a try and the fish will thank you.
For the garlic, you can use a garlic press and then put it into a towel or such and press the liquid out. Some fish even seem to eat complete garlic pieces. You have to try out.
And you don't have to get your fish out off the tank there, Juan. Won't help anything at all. As I said before, each tank has Cryptocarion irritans in it, every fish, too. No need to put them into stress by removing them from the tank. Leave them be, feed them well. You might try the UV but as said before, it won't show effects at once, but sure helps to sterilze the tank in the long run.

jpsika08

Thank you very much, I will try different veggies and see how it goes, I think the key is, keeping them happy, and varying the food is one way on doing so.