Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

Doni, how much would a pair of grade a juvis be? I have a pair of yellow stripe maroons that are laying regularly now but they aren't that interesting to me. I'm looking to get a pair together, i love the pair on your sites welcome screen.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yellow Stripe Maroons are beautiful clowns!
Base grade A's (like the two on my welcome screen) are $100 each. Additional white patterns, helmets, sideburns, etc. will increase the price a tad.

tigermike74

Here are my babies after putting them into their new home recently. :)
The one I label as "female" is showing bully/dominance, though the other isn't ready to give up just yet lol. They are both eating in their new home, so it's good.

Attachments

• female2.jpg
    female2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 320
  • female4.jpg
    female4.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 318
  • fish3.jpg
    fish3.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 319
  • male3.jpg
    male3.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 320
  • male1.jpg
    male1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

tigermike74

Update on my babies. The one I labeled "male" is now become extremely dominant and is bullying the "female." The "female" is a bit battered and is scrambling around the tank and doing the twitch when the "male" comes by. Has anyone ever seen this happen, when one shows initial dominance, then the other pulls a power move and becomes more dominant after being submissive for a couple weeks? FWIW, the "male" has become noticeably larger than the "female" this past week.

Ericm1205

i have a question about clown sync swimming.

i got my snowcasso from Doni in Nov 09 and she is gorgeous! i went thru 4 mates for her. 2 i know died on their own and i think the other 2 she might have had a hand in their ultimate demise. im not positive but it could be.
she hasn't had a mate longer than 3 months but i recently added an older male grade A picasso to the tank. i was watching a pair of clowns for someone and the female died. this pair was as old or older than my current snow. so the other tank mates were picking on the left over male cause the female died. (this is how i determined it was the male that survived, plus i sorta remember their actions). so i felt bad and popped him in the tank with my snowcasso and they immediately found each other and became curious. she really took to him asap. she never chased him around and fought with him. its like she knew he was a male, and that he knew his role and place.
this was 3 weeks ago.

now my question. the seem to be really getting along. and she actually come out of the nem (rbta) for long periods of time to swim and hang with the male. the male doesnt use the nem at all but he has been hovering around it closer than he has ever been. I dont think he has ever been in a nem.

but as for the dancing. they were sort of doing a sync swimming all over the 24g nano i have for like an hour or 2. is this part of the bonding ritual that they do to accept each other? they never leave each other now after the dance.
as for laying. does a female have to be around 2 years before she is able to lay eggs? the rock under the nem they seem to hang around it and stare at it alot. they dont pick or clean it yet. just stare at it. hehe

it just makes me happy that she is happy. i know i spent close to $800 trying to get her a mate and they all died. and now she is happy so i want her to stay that way!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Close Call!!!!

My "fishroom" (aka: Garage) is cooled & heated by an 18,000 BTU single window unit. This unit has worked fabulous for 2 years at keeping the temp at 78 during the summer/winter.... until Thursday night...
6:00am Thursday morning I discovered the unit stopped cooling sometime during the night... uh oh! The temp in the fish room was already 80 f :eek: I left the garage door open to let the cool air in (thankfully it was a cool morning).
I called our AC guy and he made me his first stop (after coffee)! Yay! He was able to repair it but is not sure how long the compressor will hold up.
By 10am, the unit was fixed and blowing cold air again :woohoo:
and just intime for the 90 day ahead!

Since window units are seasonal, no one has them instock locally so I am going to order another one as a 'spare'.
I am SOOO happy and thankful that the unit did not poop-out during a 90-100 degree day :eek:
I am also equally thankful for my knowledgeable AC guy for fixing it and coming out so quickly!! :dance:

Uhhhh ohhhh!! :eek: The fish room thermometer was rising fast!
20100918_3_.jpg

A happy sight to see!!
20100918_5_.jpg

Removing the unit for repairs
20100918_2_.jpg

All fixed and blowing cold air again!! Thanks Mike! :D
20100918.jpg

reefersfun

Doni any update on when the snowcasso/snowcasso offspring might be available? How are they doing? What did you end up getting as a result? I know you had mentioned some platinums taking shape.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Doni any update on when the snowcasso/snowcasso offspring might be available? How are they doing? What did you end up getting as a result? I know you had mentioned some platinums taking shape.

I am not pleased at all with the offspring of the Snowcasso/Snowcasso pair. I have around 7 spawns from them now and many have either malformed pelvic fins, underbites, poor body shapes, or swim bladder issues. Needless to say, I have broken that pair up and am planning on pairing both the male and female with two very nice C-Quest Onyx. The C-quest onyx are currently in QT so it will be another month or two before they can be introduced.

reefersfun

I am not pleased at all with the offspring of the Snowcasso/Snowcasso pair. I have around 7 spawns from them now and many have either malformed pelvic fins, underbites, poor body shapes, or swim bladder issues. Needless to say, I have broken that pair up and am planning on pairing both the male and female with two very nice C-Quest Onyx. The C-quest onyx are currently in QT so it will be another month or two before they can be introduced.

Hmmm now I'm bummed,

Most likely because of thier relationship?

I like the snow/ onyx prospects though. :clink:

DBrinson

Wow, amazing project. Have been reading this one page by page, without cheating and looking at the end. Very suspenseful, not knowing how it all came out.

Great project, great read. I learned more than a little bit!

Congratulations on your success, my kids loved all the "baby pictures".

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Hmmm now I'm bummed,

Most likely because of thier relationship?

I like the snow/ onyx prospects though. :clink:

Thanks for bringing this up again. Together they produce too many solid whites and too many culls for my liking thus the reason they are currently paired up and breeding with Onyx mates and the reason I am offering them for sale separately ;)
Every marine fish that I have ever raised (blk/white occellaris, percula picassos, bangaii, seahorses.. etc.) have culls in every hatch..including my main pair of breeding picassos. I am very picky and cull heavily. As a matter of fact, out of the three C-Quest Onyx I recently purchased (which are beautifully colored and almost solid black) only ONE is worthy of breeding. The other two are culls IMO (flared gills or flat-headed).
There is nothing wrong with either of the Snowcassos I have for sale and I will be happy if they do or don't sell. :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Wow, amazing project. Have been reading this one page by page, without cheating and looking at the end. Very suspenseful, not knowing how it all came out.

Great project, great read. I learned more than a little bit!

Congratulations on your success, my kids loved all the "baby pictures".

Thank you! I'm glad you and your children have enjoyed it :)

94jza80tt

It took me a while but I finally read this whole thread!! Simply amazing. I’ve never read so much useful info in one thread let alone any forum. I do have some questions.

1. How do you move the eggs from the host tank to the nursery tank without exposing them to air?

2. Same as above but with a formalin dip.

Thanks in advance. I apologize if I missed the answers somewhere in the 144 pages of posts. lol

Woodstock

RS STAFF
It took me a while but I finally read this whole thread!! Simply amazing. I’ve never read so much useful info in one thread let alone any forum. I do have some questions.

1. How do you move the eggs from the host tank to the nursery tank without exposing them to air?

2. Same as above but with a formalin dip.

Thanks in advance. I apologize if I missed the answers somewhere in the 144 pages of posts. lol

1. Placing the tile directly into a large bowl of tank water is best when moving them from tank to tank.
2. I've never done a formalin dip on eggs. Methelyne blue on occassion but never formalin.

Congrats on reading the entire thread! And I am very glad that you enjoyed it and learned from it!! :D