Rainbow of algae?

prow

I know I am a neophyte on this...but what good would that do? The tank should be cycled shouldn't it? Should we just start over? Aren't there less drastic measures, like carbon, phosban reactor, etc...not sure, just asking if the nuclear option is the right one...
what is happening right now is algae and bad bacteria are doing the main biofiltration work. more than likely started adding fish right after the aerobic bacterias established but before anaerobic bacterias extablished. now with fish, too many nutrients are being added for the bacterias to process and the more prolific algaes are out competing the anerobics aswell as the aerobics. if let go the tank will reach a balance using algae and muture with algae as the main bio filtration. the cycano is really not a surprise as all the metobolic activity right now is eating up lots of O2.
removing some fish will reduce the nutrients, decrease O2 demand and allow time to build anaerobic bacterias so that will become the main biofilter. there are other options, you dont have too remove fish, but IMO, leaving all the fish is going to be much more work and in 12-18 months from now you will really be able to see the difference.

prow

I have a 90 gallon tank with ten or so gallon sump. I have two green chromis, yellow and blue tang pair of tomato clowns and a small psudeo chromis. would a protein skimmer help? i would like to take out my fish but dont want to return them and dont have anothertank set up
yes a protien skimmer will help big time.
for your fish a couple things to check out. around here most LFS have holding tanks for their customers to use. either they rent them or you can bring your fish to them and they will fish sit for you. one store here charges 25 buck to watch them for a month. the other rents holding tanks for 10 buck a week. but what i suggest you do is buy a 20-30gal+ blank tank a small heater and a powerhead. then you can hold them in there (lots of water changes will be needed) and later you will have a QT tank for future additions.

oh sorry i also have only ten or so turbo snails and one slug. would more clean up crew help out?
no dout, bump that up. i dont like or use crabs so this suggestion is based on a CUC without crabs. shot for something like this;
10- Turbo snail (Turbo margarita) "the small ones"
30-Cerith snail (Cerithium sp.)
15- Astrea Snails (Astraea tecta)
30-Nerite snails few kinds-(Nerita polita) or (Neritina communis) any of them will do.
30-Banded trochus (Trochus radiatus)
10-mexican turbos (Turbo fluctuosa)-only cause you have them would have been 5 if not.

these next ones add later as they are carnivores not algae eaters. good for left over food.
5-Nassarius Snail (Nassrius distortus) "tonga the big ones" or 10-Nassarius snail (Nassarius vibex) "the small ones"
1-Tiger serpent (Ophiolepsis superba)

dont need to add them all at the same time, in fact i would not. add a mixed bunch of 20 or so and increase as your tanks need for them increases.

thanks.. i dont WANT to start all over..dont see the need to... but then again i am fairly new.. i try and do my reading but you know.. always need to know more.
i want a protein skimmer but dont have the money right now. i have lowered my power head to try to eliminate the dead spot in the corner.

would hooking a cansiter filter up to my sump help any if i loaded it with purigen or carbon. right now im only running a uv sterlizer and filter floss. no chemical filtration.
also no deep sand bed. jsut enough to cover the bare bottom in front of the rocks.
protien skimmer ASAP, make it a good one. do not go with a junk skimmer. how much are planning on spending on it?
the carbon will help with organic compounds, but i would just put it in a bag and drop it in the sump. no need for a canister filter.
take out the filter floss. the power head good for those dead spots, but do make sure your getting a good ripple on the surface of the water.
do read through that link i gave. it goes into all this. removing some fish for a few weeks is not going to be like starting over, it will jsut allow you to build up a a solid reef from the start and save you lots of head aches later on.

i did read. it was very scientific to say the least. and i appreciate the help. well i wish i could get a skimmer for under 200.

i will add the carbon. do you feel purigen would do the same. i am thinking there are still some undetectable phosphates in my water because my test read zero. api test kit but ive read there some the kit cant test for. should i be using phosguard as well? well i got a penguyin power head along with the flow from my return but the ph is only 300 gph i think i will return it and get somthing stronger.

i will get more snails... only problem my local fish store sells only mexican turbo and astrea snails where can i find the rest?

heels92

i did read. it was very scientific to say the least. and i appreciate the help. well i wish i could get a skimmer for under 200.

i will add the carbon. do you feel purigen would do the same. i am thinking there are still some undetectable phosphates in my water because my test read zero. api test kit but ive read there some the kit cant test for. should i be using phosguard as well? well i got a penguyin power head along with the flow from my return but the ph is only 300 gph i think i will return it and get somthing stronger.

i will get more snails... only problem my local fish store sells only mexican turbo and astrea snails where can i find the rest?

You can find a Protein Skimmer for under $200. This guy AQTCJAK who is a sponsor here has protein skimmers his homepage is Aquatic Aggression. I bought my berlin 250 classic on e-bay a couple of weeks ago NEW. It does a great job on my tank. When all was said and done, I had about $200 in it. Here is my thread on it http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/28806-darrells-upgrades.html.

I am relatively new to this forum so I was not aware that AQTCJAK sold skimmers until after I had got mine on Ebay, so I have not done business with him, but I think it would be nice to help do business with the sponsors if one can.

Also, if you do like the Berlin 250, Drs Foster and Smith has them on sale right now for $169, pump included. Berlin Turbo Protein Skimmers

I would also consider putting in a phosban reactor. I was having a problem with hair algea...and after I added that and a larger skimmer the algae has all but disappeared and my coraline has taken off. You can take a look at these here Aquarium Algae & Phosphate Control: PhosBan Reactor 150 and Parts and at the homepage of twolittlefishies Two Little Fishies - Aquarium Accessories.

I use 1/3 carbon and 2/3 phosban (phospure is dr fosters and smiths brand of the same thing for about 2/3 the price, so I actually use that.)

And finally, I added a u/v sterilizer as well, but not sure that helped much. Not sure which one did the most (since I was already running a smaller skinner,) but I think you should have a really good skimmer at least.

prow

you can get a ASM G-3 skimmer used for about $200.00. i recently upgraded and bought a ams G4xx and will selling my G3 soon. looking around seems the going rate for a used one is in the $200.00 range, most i think run $150-200.

the filterfloss traps detritus and other wastes. the floss allow aerobic bacteria to grow but not anaerobic. so the floss, like bio balls, produce nitrates but does not complete the nitrogen cycle which turns NO3 to harmless nitrogenous gasses, so instead your left to deal with them or algae.

for snails i like to get mine online from liveaquaria. i alway buy bunches so with the shipping its worth it.

for a reef, first you will want to decide which corals you want. that will determine what lighting and how much/what type water flow/currents you will be wanting. that also help pick a skimmer. softies you dont need the best skimmer to keep the water good for them, but for sps you will want more a very good skimmer the will be more than big enough.

the purigen stuff, no. that i would only use in a FO tank or hospital tanks where waste production exceeds removal. it removes NH4/NO2/NO3 type stuff and hinders your bacterial growths. you would be fighting against your biofiltration.

phosban, sure you can use it. again i would just drop it in a low flow area in the sump, like carbon. do watch your alk while using it.

lcstorc

A couple things to add. Just because your nitrates and/or phosphates read 0 that does not mean there is no problem. It simply means that the algae is easting them all.
Also I can't help mentioning that tangs are not suited for your tank. The minimum tank size recommended is a 6ft long 125g or greater. The bigger the tank the better. Most tangs grow to from 10 -16 inches when they are grown and they need a lot of swimming room. They also produce a lot of waste.

i will look into the skimmer and wont use the purigen.
i have heard that 90 isnt big enough for tanks but mine are small, maybe when they get bigger i will upgrade or get different fish.

as far as filter floss goes.. i understand that it traps nitrates but what do you guys do about floating particles and such?

also do you think my bioballs attribute to the algae?
thanks

prow

as far as filter floss goes.. i understand that it traps nitrates but what do you guys do about floating particles and such?
i dont use anything. but when i do use a filter sock every now and then, it only used for a hour or two. one day max for me mainly only use it for a few hours when cleaning. some do keep a sock though, but you will need to clean it at least once a week.

also do you think my bioballs attribute to the algae?
thanks
perhaps some. too many nutrients is what did it. but using bioballs allowed it to happen and removing them too.

johnmaloney

That green algae you got there is corraline as mentioned by some of the others here. It will turn more purple as the purple stuff takes over, I have the green stuff to in a new tank. I know it doesn't look great but give it time.

sonicfish

The same tank that he has is looking just like mine execpt mine is 180 gallon tank and is about one year old ill have some photos just need somebody to tell me how.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sounds like you have a cyano issue then. There are cures for it but it is better to find the cause and eliminate.
What are you topping off the tank with? Tap, ro/di from the lfs, distilled, well water? What salt are you using? If you can post all your test results also including salinity and tank temp we can start from there.
Go get an account on phtobucket.com and upload your pictures there. Then copy the bottom url under that picture and past it here where you type.

sonicfish

alright first im using red sea salt next im using tap and ro water just which ever one is avable to me next ammonia and nitrite are at zero phosphates are .1 calcium is at 380 ph normal just cant remember but at the right level salinty 1.024 nitrates is where it gets confusing one place says with strips say 160 then the test kit people that have dr fish on it cant remember the name say 20 nitrates and its a color test.

just having some fun:rocket:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Yeah, the tap water is causing your issues no doubt. Your po4, (phosphates) is most likely much higher then that, your just not reading them because the cyano is feeding off of them. I recommend a 50% water change with RO/DI water and follow the top off from now on with RO/DI water. That should eliminate your problems in a few weeks. The salt is a good one but fluctuates sometimes in batches. You need to test it prior to adding to the tank if you want to keep things stable.
What other salt can you get?

sonicfish

nothing its the only one allowed in my county for some reason so i cant some thing about the others i dont know my county is wierd

Varga

all looks normal to me. All my rock have done that. first turn light green, then kinda brownish then coraline takes over. there's cyano in the last pic which you can siphon out I think that rock has some coraline that was there when you bought the rock.

Tank looks good :)

Varga

comes in red too! to grow cyano like me, you'd need a keen eye and years of experience :D :D :D
I've convinced myself that it makes the tank looks more natural

Attachments

• cyano [640x480].JPG
    cyano [640x480].JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 19
  • cyano2 [640x480].JPG
    cyano2 [640x480].JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 19