Question about ich attack medication

seatrueblue

Has it worked for you? I received two A. Chrysopterus on April 4th and they were healthy and eating great in the QT but on April 8th the larger of the two started getting little white spots all over her fins and a few on her body. I asked the place where I got these fish from ..what do I do? Asked them if I should do a formalin or a copper treatment and they said that can be too harsh for new fish. Then they told me to just lower the salinity and start soaking food in garlic and some vitamins. So I did this...her spots seemed to start to go away..I started to think this ich was going away. NOPE.. yesterday it got worse.. much worse. Her eyes are starting to cloud up and I can see the spots around her eyes. She is still eating food ..soo..thats a good thing right? Anyways...about the ich attack stuff..If it haven't worked for you..please tell me so I can start using the stuff woodstock used on their tank. It is called Cupramine..I am new to fish deseases..I have been in this hobby for over a year. Any advice is appreciated ..TIA

Christina~

seatrueblue

Thanks, I did read it and this part about..6. No known ‘reef-safe’ remedies work consistently. Many aquarists think a particular remedy works when in fact the fish acquire an immunity or defense against the parasite. It’s easy for any manufacturer to have an independent study done on the effectiveness of the ‘reef-safe’ remedy but they don’t because. . .

I have read some reviews on "ich attack" people said on drfoster&smith.com and marinedepot.com that it worked for them. Maybe they are liars and even some one on RC said it worked for them with no ill affect on their inverts. I don't have any inverts in there but I do have live rock and sand I don't want anything to happen to the bacteria. I don't have them in a true QT. I guess I could set up a true QT in my 10 gallon and use copper meds to kick this ich in the butt. I was just hoping this ich attach worked for some one. Well I'll try it for a couple of days..if I see no improvement ..they will be getting a copper treatment "Cupramine".

lcstorc

As far as I am concerned yes.
Some people say it works but some say UV works as well. I don't think either eliminate the problem. They may decrease symptoms but not truly cure the disease. It is still in the tank and can strike at any time.

rlcline76

Those reviews...
I hardly ever get to submit a review. I often like to wait a few months before deciding if something works or not. Marine Depot will often let you try something out for a week and then shoot you an email asking to review. When it comes to ich, I have seen many people say this or that worked and then a week or 2 later they were baffled as to why their fish was sick again and maybe worse than before. It is less aggravating to you and the display tank, to just stick to what works and in a "quarantine tank".

Frankie

RS STAFF
I can hear Leebca's radar sounding off in my head. I heard a ping! Yep there she is :)

seatrueblue

I don't understand what you mean frankie..sorry. Well I sent an email to the place I got these fish from. They called and said these fish don't do well with copper treatments and formalin is just as harsh. They then said try to use vitamins like Kent Marine C and Nitrofurazone green, plus hypo salinity. I have read about people using copper and formalin on these fish with bad results..:(

lcstorc

He is referring to Leebeca our resident disease expert.
Hyposalinity is an accepted method for treating ich. There are debates about which one is more stressful on the fish. For hyposalinity you need to gradually reduce the salinity to 1.009 and keep it there for the 6 week treatment period. I believe Lee has instructions for that as well.
Vitamins certainly won't hurt and I have never heard of Formalin as a cure for Ich. Other things yes but not Ich.

seatrueblue

Yeah, I was just saying that formalin has been used by other reefers. I know they use it to treat brook. Woodstock told me that Cupramine worked on her fish. I don't know if anyone has used Cupramine on Chrysopterus clowns and not have loss their fish because of using this stuff....six weeks of hypo? ooh lovely I don't think I'll ever see these fish in my display tank.:(

rlcline76

Hey...6 weeks at least. Your DT will need that time just to reduce the chance of returning those clowns back in to a infectious environment. If in QT, those fish are still showing signs of illness, they need to stay there.

It could be worse. Could be lethargic, not eating and with ich!

Copper is hard on everything, even on fish that can handle it! If you do hypo, stick to hypo and do not add drugs to the water...go for one treatment at a time.

seatrueblue

They didn't get this from my DT. I ordered these fish online and they are the only fish that has ever been in my 29 gallon tank. My display tank is a 120gallon everyone in there is free of ich. I have never had to deal with ich untill I got these two fish. I knew that these fish are prone to get fish deseases. So I didn't put them in my display. I would show you guys a picture of these fish to get a positive ID that this is indeed ich but it takes for ever for them to approve my post when I attach pictures.

rlcline76

I'm glad to hear they are not in the DT!
Yes, pics are always a good idea.
How are you attaching pics? I use photobucket and it is instantaneous.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Leebca was reading this thread but didn't post. I must have scared her off :( Or she saw the referral to one of her threads up top.

seatrueblue

You can see who is reading the thread? cool..I am using imageshack.us to post pictures..hmm I guess I should use photobucket.

seatrueblue

Picture2030700.jpg

getting a picture of her eating and her mouth was open..I don't know how I did that.
Picture2030699.jpg

She doesn't look too bad right now I wish I took a picture of her this morning..wow she looked aweful.

leebca

The general condition of this fish indicates it is not only diseased, but also not being maintained well. On the latter point it may be water quality, sub-standard nourishment, or an environment problem.

It is hard to see the spots -- unsure what may be on the wall of the aquarium vs. what may on the fish.

This fish is not in a standard quarantine tank, if the background contains live rock, Coraline, and the substrate.

From what I can see (and it isn't definitive) I would perform a copper treatment with Cupramine and the proper test kit. Copper will handle a larger group of parasites than just the hyposalinity treatment, though I still have a concern about just where this fish is located and the affect copper will have on the 'other contents' and how the other contents will affect a proper copper treatment.

seatrueblue

I know, I don't have them in a proper QT. The place I got these fish from said that copper treatment has a very negative affect on A. Chrysopterus. Can anyone send me a link to a thread where people have successfully used Cupramine on A. Chrysopterus clowns? it is copper right?..Copper can cause liver damage to these fish. This is what I am told..I don't know if its a fact. :(

I thought I could handle this..:smack: I should have got clarkiis insted.

I'll go to rare clownfish and see if the other Chrysopterus owners can help me.

That doesn't mean I don't need anymore advice from RS members..you all seem to know your stuff..Tell me what ever you think will help..thanks