please dont tell me my wife is correct!!!!!

BigFish11

So i was going to take on a project this weekend to quite my sump, i came up with a simple solution, there is an opening in the back of the stand, i was going to place a piece of wood over the opening to seal in the noise. Seems pretty simple, also seems like it should work. However, my better half said "isnt it left open so it doesnt overheat" Now, while i dont believe that is the case, it made me think a little about the project a little. Is she right? If i close the stand will my pumps make it too hot under my tank. I am pretty sure it wont, but for you men that are married you know that your wife can make you pretty musc question every thing, and worse like would suck if she were right...

jgking21

My dad built me a custom stand for my tank. I only put one hole in the back to put the plugs through for the light and powerheads. Big Mistake! I now leave one of the doors open otherwise the humidity builds up and I'm not sure what will happen. During the winter I do sometime close the door at night to help the heater. You've got a smart wife, mine wouldn't have said a thing, she'd just lets me do things and find out the hard way.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It really depends on what pumps you have and other equipment in there. Hard to really know but the more open the better IMHO. Also the noise probably wont be "Trapped" inside the stand like you're guessing as the stand it probably resonating the sounds as well. If it's a pump try putting it onto something "spongey" like a household sponge or a "mousepad".

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
In addition to the above, if you have a skimmer in the sump it may not get supplied enough fresh air to pull in, which might cause a pH drop due to excess CO2 if it keeps recycling the same air. I'm not sure that would happen, but it can in a house that's closed up tight (like mine).

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I actually piped my return pump to actually float 1" off the bottom of the sump and you can't hear a thing from it, I tried the sponge thingy and it helped a lot but when i suspended the pump it made all the difference in the world. Just make sure your piping is supported to be able the hold the weight of the pump.

BigFish11

Thanks guys, this way i wont have to listen to my wife i can just act like i forgot to do it and take it from there. Truly great info thanks everyone!

Adalius

One thing to be careful of when you hang a pump from the piping like that is to make sure it's secured fairly close to where the piping comes out of the sump otherwise you can actually get the entire pipe shaking and resonating which is not fun at all. It's mainly a shot in the dark since it depends on how long the freely supported section is, what size pipe, the rate it's vibrating at, etc etc, but the shorter the unsupported length the less chance of a problem.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Thanks guys, this way i wont have to listen to my wife i can just act like i forgot to do it and take it from there. Truly great info thanks everyone!

Big Mistake! a) wife is ALWAYS RIGHT! b) by encouraging your wife with correct PRAISE for her thoughts she will then start to do everything, now you can sit in your shorts,drink beer and smoke a cigar (youngsters today sheesh)

devind

Married guy guidelines: A)its easier to give her what she wants, than to live with her if you dont.
B)she's always right, even when she's not.
C)If she isnt happy, she will do all in her power to make you less happy than she is.
D) dont break any of the above guidelines if you expect to have a good day.

Hagar the Horrible:
Hagar: Is the tea i made you the way you like it?
Wife: That which doesnt kill me makes me stronger.
Hagar: You are always complaining. You complain all the time.
Wife: thats not true. There are days i dont complain about anything
Hagar: When are those?
Wife: the days when you are gone.

Makes ya think huh?

Jackalope

What xactly is the noise issue? Return on sump, supply pump noise, skimmer? there's a few tricks to silencing those things. i run my stand completely open. in sense that i built picture frame like peices front and sides covered with black-out curtain material for light reduction on sump.

for instance on skimmer air inlets... take a small tylanol bottle, drill hole in bottom for tubing to squeez in, drill 4 very small holes in lid, place cotton ball inside as air filter... you then have a silencer... irony of this is what i used for my bottle... says "Migrain Relief" on it lol.