ping pong ball....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
first of all... WHY?

I have no idea what plastic they are made of but there's no telling what will leach from the plastic. First guess might be some phosphates second would be who knows what kind of petroleum would come from them since they aren't designed for "Human Consumption".

Phreek

i told u Al its all a secret,millions and millions of questions.some may be true, some may be just for general knowledge,some may be just to throw you off.but when its unveiled it will be phenominal.well...is there such thing as an organic ping pong ball...hmm?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
LOL! Ok mystery man!!

ROFL !!! Organic doesn't mean "Reef Safe".

Chow Mien noodles can be "organic" but I wouldn't add them to the tank LOL!

Phreek

lol if there is one thing i learned from u,its take your time, and if theres one thing i learned from my fiance its that its ok to change ur mind a million times in one day.so i am using both techniques in building and planning my mystery tank.now...back to ping pong...i am going to find out what they r made of...u tell me if its ok for water or not...capiche?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have no way of "Telling" LOL! But I always err on the side of caution so I'll say DONT use them now :D

Phreek

ahh and I was almost done finding out what them buggas was made of...well now i need to find something that can float...is round...and the size of a ping pong ball...BUT..it has to be sw safe

Phreek

bouncy ball?...glass ball...ya know like the little glass floats they use for FW aquarium decorations..?

Phreek

:)and the object isnt to guess what im using it for folks lol, thats why its called a secret.i just need to know what is similar in shape size and bouyancy to a ping pong ball now. :)

Phreek

oh lol i guess that makes sense jess.but no, i only need one of these little buggers.far to few to make a lid

Phreek

hey thats a good idea...but it cant be pourus.I need a solid object...spherical...bouyant...and safe.are there solid bio balls?

Jess

hmm, that i don't know. i am so intrigued! i say go to LFS or a pet store that sells aquarium supplies and just look around.....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok here goes

Ping Pong Ball - Composition
he ball is made of a high-bouncing gas-filled celluloid, colored white or orange, with a matte finish.

Celluloid
Celluloid is the name of a class of compounds created from nitrocellulose and camphor, plus dyes and other agents. Generally regarded to be the first thermoplastic, it was first created as Parkesine in 1856 and as Xylonite in 1869 before being registered as Celluloid in 1870. Celluloid is easily molded and shaped, and it was first widely used as an ivory replacement. Celluloid is highly flammable and also easily decomposes, and is no longer widely used. Its most common uses today are the table tennis ball and guitar picks.[1]

To make it more detailed
A typical formulation of celluloid might contain 70 to 80 parts nitrocellulose, nitrated to 11% nitrogen, 30 parts camphor, 0 to 14 parts dye, 1 to 5 parts ethyl alcohol, plus stabilizers and other agents to increase stability and reduce flammability.

Phreek

well thank u amigo! ya know, in the short time i have known u al u have come to be one of the most dependable,honest,and best friends a guy can have.that said, thats a good idea jess,BUT,for fear of my plans be discovered,i can not tell u all what i decide on using...