People Please Help!!! Termite Fumigation in house and what do I do??????

So I have Terminex coming next weekend and I am scarred. He told me 50/50 chance it survives. He told me to place and tape 4 bags over the tank and place all the way to floor as my ato unit reservoir is placed below tank. I can't do anything else really so...

Well I can't really take anything out since my tank has been established for a few months. If I take livestock out they will all die. So so you think by stopping the filtration in my 130D and lights off for 5 days will kill everything? I'm not worried about the gas as I can cover the tank with plastic but I am worried about, no filtration and no heater. I know the no lights will do nothing.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Does the process take 5 days?

I don't know if the tank can withstand a long period of no heater (depends on the temp of house etc) and no circulation is going to be really hard too. I have my doubts to whether the tank can survive with no fresh air for that long.

Does the process take 5 days?

I don't know if the tank can withstand a long period of no heater (depends on the temp of house etc) and no circulation is going to be really hard too. I have my doubts to whether the tank can survive with no fresh air for that long.

Ya they're gonna start Fri morning early which means I need to plastic up the tank Thursday night and we won't be back until Monday afternoon, so I guess its actually 4 full days......

I need a solution asap. I can't take out everything cause I have nowhere to put it. I can't run the tank cause ill have it pretty much sealed shut, and if its not sealed completely then gas might leak the in. I'm so sad cause the tank is running smoothly at this point I don't know what to do!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Jetbkk

I don't understand exactly why you can't keep the filtration running. Can't it run from within the bag covers? Obviously no lights but why not the power heads and even the filtration?

I don't understand exactly why you can't keep the filtration running. Can't it run from within the bag covers? Obviously no lights but why not the power heads and even the filtration?

Doesnt the filtration suck in air??? I can obviously turn off the skimmer and ato.

Assuming I am able to seal the tank shut with plastic, won't I damage the filtration system?

Jetbkk

At the very least I would leave the powerheads on. Water circulation is crucial.

I defer to others on whether you can let the filtration run but it is worth getting an expert opinion on!

At the very least I would leave the powerheads on. Water circulation is crucial.

I defer to others on whether you can let the filtration run but it is worth getting an expert opinion on!

So If I leave powerheads on will I be sucking in any air? I know the skimmer sucks air and I can turn that off a few days no problem. I can also turn on heater. And obviously ill turn off lights which should also not be a problem

So If I leave powerheads on will I be sucking in any air? I know the skimmer sucks air and I can turn that off a few days no problem. I can also turn on heater. And obviously ill turn off lights which should also not be a problem.

Acanman

How much livestock you got? If you got some $ invested in some nice corals n fish i wouldnt chance it. Get a rubbermaid bin and an airstone. Move the entire setup to a friends or neighbors. Its doable with a 130. Anything bigger than i would figure out how to quarantine.

And i knew someone who lost his entire 180 gallon reef cuz of fumigation. No matter what u do poison is gonna get to the water unless u completley seal in a vacum, in which case the tank will die cuz it needs fresh oxygen. Lights mean fans. Fans suck in new air. Spit out old hot air. No good. If that stuff hits your tank it will be forever tainted. Get your tank outta there!

How much livestock you got? If you got some $ invested in some nice corals n fish i wouldnt chance it. Get a rubbermaid bin and an airstone. Move the entire setup to a friends or neighbors. Its doable with a 130. Anything bigger than i would figure out how to quarantine.

And i knew someone who lost his entire 180 gallon reef cuz of fumigation. No matter what u do poison is gonna get to the water unless u completley seal in a vacum, in which case the tank will die cuz it needs fresh oxygen. Lights mean fans. Fans suck in new air. Spit out old hot air. No good. If that stuff hits your tank it will be forever tainted. Get your tank outta there!

So I'm not gonna have lights on. Just pumps for water flow. Will that suck in air? Also I'm going to put 3 layers of vahes provided by terminex all over the tank to the floor. So basically sealing it shut. I'm not worried about the gas going into tank. I'm more worried about ruining pumps possibly cause I will have the tank sealed shut.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Your pumps are moving WATER not air. You want ruin your pumps unless you run them out of the water.

Good luck and keep us posted.

carlfike

If you dont head to home depot buy a couple bins and get that tank out of the house you're going to loose everything. Not trying to be a jerk but seriously it would take all of an hour or so to move it.
You'll regret it if you don't.
Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I've been reading in other forums that its bot necessary to move the tank out. Most people wrap with three layers of plastic and turn everything off.

My only concern is that by wrapping it completely there's no fresh oxygen.

I'll add a bunch of freshwater to aid in loss of water due to heat since it will be covered in plastic.

The only thing ill turn on are the pumps ( maybe even just one) so that water flows. My concern however is that will having a pump on and covered tank possibly damage equipment?

As far as livestock, my concern is fresh oxygen.

Oxylebius

I wonder how it is going?

A decade ago this happened to me. I broke down my 55 and placed everything in rubber trash cans while I emptied and moved the whole tank and stand outside, then placed everything back in the tank. The tank ran while in my backyard for a week. Luckily it was summer and pleasant coastal CA weather. Then I moved everything back inside again. It was a horrible experience, but everything survived. I think and critters like natural light filtering in during that week. But, I never want to have to do that again.

Well Terminex is coming in this Friday so ill keep everyone posted and cross my fingers.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Brother for what its worth. Id seal that thing like Thanksgiving leftovers. All plastic'd up n run all my pumps n powerheads. Id also add charcoal n let er go. Good luck buddy.

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

Tokalosh

To prevent temperature drop over the next few days while it is all sealed up, I'd bubble wrap the tank first or use poly sheets on the glass before wrapping the tank.

Good Luck.

Tok

OK so tonight I'll wrap up my tank....The plan is to turn off skimmer, lights, and ATO. Leave on pumps and heater. I will be wrapping it up with 3 layers of the Terminex provided plastic.

Should I worry about water loss and add as much fresh water as I can?

I'll keep you all posted on Monday night to see results!