Oxy's RSM250

Oxylebius

Alright, placing an order this weekend. Going w/BRS 2-part system (Alk, Ca, and Mg). :yup:
Anyone using the BRS system? How is it working for you?
Looks like I can use trace element supplements (K) with this system, since it does not have any extra additives in their mixture and won't cause unnecessary over dosing.

Haven't decided on a dosing unit yet. Been looking at the ones available online and in lfs. GHL is hard to find and I'm not driving to Philadelphia to pick one up. I've found Kamoer on a few online vendor sites, but not the ones I usually purchase from unfortunately. The one that everyone seems to carry around here is the Bubble Magnus and a few other brands that I haven't heard many people talk about. So... decisions, decisions.... What dosing unit are you running?

Also gonna purchase some Hanna checkers (Alk, Ca, and PO4).... tired of all the liquid testing...
In reviews, people love the Alk and PO4, but there are mixed reviews on the Ca. Anyone have it and use it. Is it user error that is causing all the complaints on this product, or does it read inconsistently when compared to the liquid test kits? Anyone have personal experience with Hanna Ca unit?

I will plan to keep my tank at RS Pro salt levels. This particular salt is used for accelerated growth, thus purposely keeps levels high in their salt mix. Salinity 35.0 ppt; Alk 12.3-12.7/4.4-4.5; Ca 455-475; Mg 1360-1420; K 390-410. My tank has been within these levels since I first set it up (tank going on 3 yrs old this October) with very little fluctuation except for the last couple of months. In the last couple of months the levels have been dropping after each water change b/c the corals are gobbling it up. I've increased the amount of water I change each week to try to keep the tank more consistent, but I am tired of doing that.

After my corals grow and fill in a little more, I will lower the dosage that is ideal for a mature reef and change my salt mixture to one that has lower levels. :fingerx: Ranges: Alk 7.8-8.2/2.8-2.9; Ca 420-440; Mg 1250-1310; K 380-400. I will look to match what ever the new salt levels are.... which can vary by brand.

Thoughts before I shell out $$$
Solid plan? :ponder2:

Pat24601

Personally, I love the Calcium Hanna Checker, but I can see what everyone is complaining about.

Fundamentally there are two problems some people have.

(1) there are more steps than people want. They are easy steps, but it has 4 steps basically where alkalinity has 2. I don't have a problem with this, but some others do.

(2) More importantly, one of the steps is to put exactly 0.1 ml of your salt water in the test tube thingy. If you do that step wrong, you get a wrong reading. For example, my hand has slipped before and I put in 0.15 ml and my reading was at least 20 points higher than it should be, so I had to redo it.

It's a very accurate instrument IF you do it right and that 0.1 ml is hard for some people to do.

I'm normally pretty good at it doing 0.1 ml accurately (verified by Red Sea test and LFS). So, for me it's super easy, accurate, and very quick.

But, I understand why others don't feel that way.

Bottom line for me is I love it. I think it's great.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Just to re-comment here for you :)

Can't comment on the BRS system but we do have something similar over here (It's Randy's recipe) that's high quality stuff but I never really enjoyed it much. I'm currently using the Fauna Marin Balling light Ca and Alk parts on my tank and my acro's and monti's and clam love it, I get some really good growth and the stuff is really high quality! The Alk part is hard to dissolve unless you heat your RO water up first so I'd do that, pretty much boil it and you'll find it'll dissolve a lot better. They're the only two additives I've had experience with but I know others enjoy the Red Sea dosing products too so it's up to you and how much you're willing to pay for your supps
With dosing K+ I would recommend doing it by hand as you might find you only need to dose it once a week or in fractions of ml's per day and it's a little hard to adjust and get right with a dosing pump. I'd follow the instructions for the first dose then test your levels the day after and just before dosing to see what happens and then also in the following few days (not that you need to be told this haha) and work it out that way then set it on the doser

I've heard the Bubble Magnus pumps are solid units and do their job really well but once again never used them, I personally run with a Kamoer 3-channel pump and I've loved that but as long as there are some good reviews out there go with what you want! I would say you'll be more than happy with one.

Pat has covered the ins and outs of the Hanna Ca checkers and why people have problems with them (kudos Pat!), I use Salifert and Seachem test kits for my Ca, Alk and Mg and Phos.

If your parameters have been kept at increased growth levels the I would stick with that till you're happy and then you can go back to colours and vibrancy once you feel it's the right time I definitely think getting a doser and using two-part would be an awesome idea to help you maintain levels in between water changes.

CDMSeaLife

Alright, placing an order this weekend. Going w/BRS 2-part system (Alk, Ca, and Mg). :yup:
Anyone using the BRS system? How is it working for you?
Looks like I can use trace element supplements (K) with this system, since it does not have any extra additives in their mixture and won't cause unnecessary over dosing.

Haven't decided on a dosing unit yet. Been looking at the ones available online and in lfs. GHL is hard to find and I'm not driving to Philadelphia to pick one up. I've found Kamoer on a few online vendor sites, but not the ones I usually purchase from unfortunately. The one that everyone seems to carry around here is the Bubble Magnus and a few other brands that I haven't heard many people talk about. So... decisions, decisions.... What dosing unit are you running?

Also gonna purchase some Hanna checkers (Alk, Ca, and PO4).... tired of all the liquid testing...
In reviews, people love the Alk and PO4, but there are mixed reviews on the Ca. Anyone have it and use it. Is it user error that is causing all the complaints on this product, or does it read inconsistently when compared to the liquid test kits? Anyone have personal experience with Hanna Ca unit?

I will plan to keep my tank at RS Pro salt levels. This particular salt is used for accelerated growth, thus purposely keeps levels high in their salt mix. Salinity 35.0 ppt; Alk 12.3-12.7/4.4-4.5; Ca 455-475; Mg 1360-1420; K 390-410. My tank has been within these levels since I first set it up (tank going on 3 yrs old this October) with very little fluctuation except for the last couple of months. In the last couple of months the levels have been dropping after each water change b/c the corals are gobbling it up. I've increased the amount of water I change each week to try to keep the tank more consistent, but I am tired of doing that.

After my corals grow and fill in a little more, I will lower the dosage that is ideal for a mature reef and change my salt mixture to one that has lower levels. :fingerx: Ranges: Alk 7.8-8.2/2.8-2.9; Ca 420-440; Mg 1250-1310; K 380-400. I will look to match what ever the new salt levels are.... which can vary by brand.

Thoughts before I shell out $$$
Solid plan? :ponder2:

I have the Bubble Magnus 3 stage and it works very well. I dose with B-Ionic 2 part plus Magnesium. I don't use doser for the Mag, I dose by hand. The drawback is the instructions, they're translated into English and don't make a lot of sense. It really is easy to use and if you decide to purchase it there are better instructions written by fellow reefer. If you can't find them I have them.

Clint24

Very nice tank & thread. I really enjoyed reading it & lookin at your pics. You & all the other experienced reefers on this forum give me hope that one day my tank will some day be worth it!! Lol. :)

CD

Creekview

(2) More importantly, one of the steps is to put exactly 0.1 ml of your salt water in the test tube thingy. If you do that step wrong, you get a wrong reading. For example, my hand has slipped before and I put in 0.15 ml and my reading was at least 20 points higher than it should be, so I had to redo it.

It's a very accurate instrument IF you do it right and that 0.1 ml is hard for some people to do.

I get injection type syringes at the local pharmacy. It's pretty easy to be accurate with a graduated syringe. Where I live you don't need a prescription from a doctor for syringes, only needles.

Oxylebius

I get injection type syringes at the local pharmacy. It's pretty easy to be accurate with a graduated syringe. Where I live you don't need a prescription from a doctor for syringes, only needles.

Very good point, I will see if I can pick up a syringe (no needle) for more precise application. Thanks!

Oxylebius

Very nice tank & thread. I really enjoyed reading it & lookin at your pics. You & all the other experienced reefers on this forum give me hope that one day my tank will some day be worth it!! Lol. :) CD

Thanks!
Just read up on your thread, you are off to a good start. You have a nice big tank to work with and can start with some easy corals. Love the tang collection you've started.... alas my tank is too small for tangs :eek:lsmile:

Creekview

Another source for syringes is farm and agricultural suppliers. Tractor Supply here sells them for dosing animals. Again, no needles w/o prescription.

Oxylebius

Newest member out of QT and in DT - foxface. Foxy likes to sleep right in the center of that green coral head at night (pics below). Action shots, haven't been able to get a good pic of it as it never stops moving! I think it likes the space and is happy being out of the 10 gallon tank :LOL:

Oxylebius

I always wanted one, but I was told that they are not reef safe????

I had a foxface back in the 90s for a good five years before I moved and gave it back to lfs. Loved it then, but had it in a fish-only tank w/live rock. It wasn't the problem back then, it was the wrasse and trigger that picked at every bit of rock in the tank.

I will watch it to make sure it behaves itself. I also have a coral beauty, a reef-safe with caution fish. So far so good with that one. The beauty goes for the corals, but doesn't end up eating any polyps. I've watch it pick at rocks and corals, but all polyps remain after it leaves, so I'm fine with it picking around.

Oxylebius

Right now I am so frustrated. I've been shoulder deep in the rsm250 all day, it is my 6 month maintenance of cleaning the back fuge and three pumps... it is such a pain to get into the back skinny space. I have been standing on a chair to get into the back space, have scraped knuckles, and have just lost the plastic suction cup holder that holds the heater in place...urgh

I've maintained so many salt tanks since the 90s, not just in the home but in academic labs and commercial shops. I wanted the rsm250 b/c of the sleek design, it sits next to my dinning room table and can be seen from the living room, the sleek compact design is what sold me for this particular space. I'm just sooo frustrating to deal with the skinny back sump space. A bottom fuge is so much easier to deal with.

Okay, deep breath.... I do like the look of the tank. It is perfect for the space I have it in. Wish it was easier to get into the back space.

One thing that is odd... I have mixed up enough gunk in the tank that I thought I would have unhappy sps, but most of the sps have been super bright all day long, they are literally glowing with all the muck that is swirling around the tank. It is just crazy. The ultimate sps food? Old fish pop, go figure!