Oxy's RSM250

Oxylebius

I'm contemplating a full breakdown of the tank to eradicate one invasive coral.

There is a blue monti digi that has decided not to grow vertical and has instead grown horizontal over all the rocks it was placed on. It has now taken out two acros by growing up and on them, causing them to die.

In seriously cleaning the tank this weekend I noticed that this blue monti digi has infiltrated one of my monti cap's interior center area. The blue monti digi has grown to where it has covered the center of the monti cap and it is just a matter of time before the cap dies. This is the cap on the center top right of the tank (very vertical cap).

I also found that this monti digi is on the verge of taking over two other acros and it is at a point that I have to do something about it.

I also have a poci that has begun sprouting up in a couple of areas where I don't want it and some birdsnest that are also growing in an area I don't want it. The problem with moving a coral around the tank (if it had grown onto the rocks), is if you leave one little polyp alive left behind, it is just a matter of time for that one little polyp to grow into a colony (and then into a little coral). That is my problem with the pocis and birdsnest growing in locations where I don't want them.

Oxylebius

No one is beyond the affects of algae! When you don't do water changes or clean your glass, algae happens. Apparently, when you don't watch your corals closely enough there is one that will take over as well. It has been a busy fall dealing with ill family members, the tank has taken a back seat. I also haven't been on the forum as much either or posted an update since Oct. 5th.

I'm not going to buy a new tank. I will be using the same tank. Nothing is wrong with the tank. And I'm not worried about the algae growing, a few water changes will do the trick to export some nutrients.

When I say a full breakdown, I'm referring to pulling rocks out. Rocks that have (for the most part) been in the same place for over 4 years (check out my first posts, same rocks, same locations).

The issue lies with the coral that is taking over. I haven't planned it all out yet, but I do have a small frag tank that I can use to place corals in while I take rocks out of the DT to scrape off the blue monti digi. The corals I will want to save I will have to snap off from their base while I can work on the rocks. I suspect this effort will take a few weekends work. It is a matter of getting it done right and saving the coral I can, not about how long it will take.

I've watched this blue monti digi for a year now spread, killing it off where I could with boiling RODI or applying aiptasia-x to it (BTW great way to kill corals), but gave up on it over the summer and now find that I shouldn't have. I'm not sure the monti cap will survive and it grew in a nice vertical swirl (as opposed the the monti caps down the left side of the tank (which by the way have almost blocked the outflow spout). It is nice you can't see the spout, but I have to make sure water can still flow from it.

Pat24601

Tank rebuilds can be kind of fun, really. Sorry it's for a bad reason, though. Let us know what you think.

Also sorry to hear real life has been hard. :(. I don't want to pry, but doesn't sound good.

Oxylebius

Thanks Dom. I also like how it comes out front.

The issue is that there is less light out front. So, I've had issues with some corals that I tried out there, specifically light loving acros haven't done well. I haven't really tried the deep water acros, perhaps they'd do better. What has done well is the birdsnest, favia, monti cap, chalice and GSP.

I think it has become a little too lopsided to the left (w/all the caps growing up the wall to the left and the right side back wall bare).

The sand bed also needs to be replenished. I went from 3 inches 4 yrs ago to an inch up front. I keep the back sand replenished for depth for the wrasse, but haven't done much replenishment up front.

BTW the tank turned 4 year old this past October and so did the clowns (both clowns were born in October 2011 (captive breed by local reefer) and I got them the following March).

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Some light skinned deepwaters would make a great contrast with the digi's, birdsnest and GSP :) a green, yellow or pale blue!

I don't think it looks lopsided, it has a nice flow to it in my eyes. Starting nice and high it comes down and out to the centre then continues down to the ducans. If you put a little rock with some low grow or encrusting corals down on the right front corner I think it would balance it out again without mass upheaval lol

It's so good to see a tank hit four years old :) Hopefully you and your clowns and tank still have many years to come! :D

Oxylebius

Here are a few more pics.

Some Chalices:

Some Acros:

(BTW, I am unable to capture the colors of the second acro correctly, it starts off as a light pink at the base then changes to fluorescent green, then a little white before ending in pink tips. The green is not captured at all in this picture :apologetic:).

An Acan:

And a side view of the tank:

Oxylebius

Some light skinned deepwaters would make a great contrast with the digi's, birdsnest and GSP :) a green, yellow or pale blue!

The problem is that it is hard to find and determine what acros are deepwater and thus like lower light levels. Any suggestions? Adding some yellow and pale blue would be a welcome contrast to my tank, as much of the color is reds, pinks, and oranges , with a few greens and purples in the mix. A rainbow of color would be AWESOME! :D