Oxy's RSM250

Oxylebius

@DaveR11 - Hahahahah... Well, it is nice to know that I have my own little drama playing out in my 250, but I'm sure my clownfish don't command intrigue like Game of Thrones does! But, they sure aroused my curiosity :D

Oxylebius

The first batch of clownfish eggs is gone = eaten.

Day 3 Update of the second batch of eggs
There were still a few eggs left in the second batch this morning when I checked in on them. They have slowly dwindled in numbers each morning I looked in on them, I assumed that they are slowly being eaten away in the night by predators. I thought that the clowns were doing a better job at protecting the eggs this round, but I was wrong. The lights just kicked on and from what I can see, there were three eggs left. So, I go to get my phone to take a couple of pics and there was one left. As I was trying to take a pic around the male clown who was guarding them, I watched the male clown eat the last of the eggs.

The MALE clown ate the last of the eggs. :ponder2:

Wow Sue the clown fish breeding, then predation and violence and incest - sounds like an episode of Game of Thrones in your 250!

@DaveR11 you can add cannibalism to the list.

Last edited:

Oxylebius

@soco Thanks. From my reading of this, some clownfish eat their eggs and others don't and some clownfish may eat the first couple of batches and then will stop. Since my pair of clowns are new at this, perhaps they will refrain from eating the next batch (or the batch after that ;))

soco

Ya mine have all eaten them lol. Idk much about it but I hear it's alot easier if u separate them from the eggs after they do the dance lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

DaveR11

The first batch of clownfish eggs is gone = eaten.

Day 3 Update of the second batch of eggs
There were still a few eggs left in the second batch this morning when I checked in on them. They have slowly dwindled in numbers each morning I looked in on them, I assumed that they are slowly being eaten away in the night by predators. I thought that the clowns were doing a better job at protecting the eggs this round, but I was wrong. The lights just kicked on and from what I can see, there were three eggs left. So, I go to get my phone to take a couple of pics and there was one left. As I was trying to take a pic around the male clown who was guarding them, I watched the male clown eat the last of the eggs.

The MALE clown ate the last of the eggs. :ponder2:

@DaveR11 you can add cannibalism to the list.

They will be invading Westeros next....

Hopefully your clowns will get the whole parenting idea soon. Exciting stuff!

Oxylebius

An Ode to my Tailspot Blenny

Oh, blenny!
From the racing stripes on your face to the dark spot on your tail, to your small body with large eyes and small mouth giving you a very comical look – you make me smile on most days.

Oh, blenny!
You are found amid crevices and rocks in my tank, perched on corals or found inside empty shells – you make me smile on most days.

Oh blenny!
Why are you scraping the flesh off of my corals when you eat like a pig and have your own patch of film algae on the glass on the side of the tank – you are not making me smile today.

Oh blenny!
You have been with me for about 4 years now, so don’t fear, you will not be evicted from your home, but please, please leave the corals alone!

IMG_40864_zpsbc7ec9e3.jpg

20141220_1259511_zpsc4238b75.jpg

20150213_083743-1_zpsb6k4eakc.jpg

20150213_083712-11_zps89d9e3a0.jpg

IMG_30441_zpsf1913be5.jpg

IMG_30281_zps6b04f1d9.jpg

IMG_30624_zps3836c76e.jpg

7.25.2015%20006.1_zpsdcxmq3wm.jpg

shark32

That's awesome they are laying eggs! It's very exciting! My clowns have been laying eggs for the last 3 years or so every 10 to 12 days...... the eggs usually are present to the point where you can see the little eyes swaying and then next day, boom, completely gone... recently though, the eggs have been disappearing much quicker and I actually caught the culprit (or at least one of them anyway) in the act.. my scopas tang, swam over, swished his tail a bunch of times at my female clown (who is usually a beast when anyone comes near her rock) and then actually knocked her away with his tail, swam in and picked a few eggs off and then she bee lined right at him and he swam away... it was crazy...

Oxylebius

@shark32 Lots of extra food for the other critters :yummy:

I will not be collecting or trying to raise my eggs/fry, at least not yet. It might be something I will try in the future. Between both the cleaner shrimp releasing fry every couple of weeks, and now these two, I suppose the other fish and corals will have lots of extra food to eat
wink.gif

I also caught one of my small brittle stars releasing some sort of red gametes into the water column after the water change last weekend. The little star was on top of a tall acro and on all its little legs and from the central disc was releasing tiny reddish balls into the water column. I wasn't able to get a pic, it all happened really fast and I was dealing with some water on my hardwood floors that took priority.

It's spring-time in my tank!!!

Last edited:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Everyone is going to LOVE that rich nutritious food pumping into the tank lol best food you an get, fresh out of the critters haha

Oxylebius

The tide is out!

It is!

Amazingly, water changes like this do little harm to sps IF they aren't out of the water more than 20mins or so. Some of the monti caps oozed mucus, but carbon in the tank would pick up any chemical toxins that would irritate other corals.

DaveR11

Hey, hey, the clowns were at it again. New batch as of a couple nights ago and guess what? The batch is still there today. The clowns are getting better at guarding their eggs this time around.

Check out the predators swarming! I gave all the nassarius snails a big meal right after this pic was taken.

Brilliant Sue!

My Nassarius seem to have a very keen sense of smell/taste - food goes in the tank and very quickly they surface from under the sand and search with their syphons for which direction it is. Were they doing the same with the clown eggs?