Our RSM 250 adventure

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
a bit hard to see in the pic... does he look like this?

Aiptasia2.jpg

NickF

I can't help with the first one, but the last pic looks like a feather duster to me, they are harmless filter feeders.
Tank looks great btw.

relexus

a bit hard to see in the pic... does he look like this?

Aiptasia2.jpg

Yeah it looks like this. I know about the pictures. Sorry for that will try to post good sharp pictures.

I also saw a tiny white crab with little black claws and black eyes, but the little bugger is to quick hahahah

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
They are a plague of sw tanks :rocket: - one can turn into 100's

you want to kill it asap, many would enen suggest pulling the rock & trashing it... they are very, very invasive !

Google & search on them... many fight them like the worst algae... you will find post after post on members fighting them... read up on um, one of the real pains in swt:rocket:

relexus

I googled my behind off today. I think it is a featherworm. It is so tiny but i noticed some hairs all around.

I found this as well (they retracked) into a hole. They have feather like "arms"

26a01679b94521ae674cac5524fffe1c.jpg

Does anyone have a link to a huge database with pictures. Those names drive me nuts. And i have no clue where to start when i see something.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Last edited:

relexus

Last picture i think is not a feather worm. Because it doesn't look like the one above. It has multiple feathery like "arms". Try to get a good sharp picture.
Had to blow up the picture. This is how it looks like.
Edit : i looked at it in the dark with a flashlight. One looks green and the other one looks blue. They look like upside down xmas trees [emoji848]

389620b9775ff5ba0b2d4d1946434ce8.jpg

Last edited:

relexus

Here is a hitchhiker guide
http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker.shtml

They look like christmas trees you say? So, maybe christmas tree worms?
Check this out:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/9/inverts
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/8/inverts

The lionfishlair guide is already marked [emoji106] been there a couple of times. They are christmas tree worms. I found them at
http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productlist.asp?did=2&cid=297

Spotted a red blue and green one. I thought i made a joke by naming them upside down christmas trees, not knowing that they were called that way [emoji38][emoji38]

Thx for the links [emoji106]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Oxylebius

Christmas tree worms are beautiful, but because they are filter feeders and we try to keep our tanks clear of particulate matter floating in the water, they usually starve and die off.

Some common names used for many of the fish, crabs, shrimp, and other critters is usually base off a description of what the critter looks like, so calling them what they looked like (i.e. Christmas trees) helped to ID them b/c that is what they are commonly called. Very helpful.

relexus

Some pretty weird stuff going on at night. Found this. Haven't got a clue it is filmed through a screen of a digital camera with nightvision on it. As soon it sees light it is gone. Looks like a crab with very feather like legs [emoji15][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Oxylebius

Yes, it is a porcelain crab (Petrolisthes species). What a great hitchhiker you got there. They are anomurans, not true crabs. These are quite unique, as they're filter feeders that use special appendages to capture plankton. They have what appear to be little fans that they sweep through the water over and over, and pass whatever they catch to their mouth. The Porcelain Crab constantly filters the water for planktonic food, but will also scavenge for the foods you feed your fish. Offer the crab small bits of the food you feed your fish, as well as foods designed for filter feeders and it should do well in your tank. They'll eat some fish foods if offered, but they won't bother anyone else. They live about 2-3 years.

relexus

I know it has been a couple of days that i posted something but there wasn't much to report. The tank has been up and running for 3,5 weeks now and the grass is growing like weed in your garden [emoji13] (i call it grass because it looks like that must say it does look nice).
We have been checking the water as well and it is getting better and better. We did a 60ltr water change today, flushed the sumps and we did some gardning (by hand) we didn't remove it all. Next sunday a new test and hopefully we get the po4 and no3 down.
Porcelain crab dissapeared and i found a new crab. Looks a bit purple/brown with what it looks like 2 "racing stripes" on his shell. Haven't figured out yet what "brand"

Now he is cute

Before the gardning [emoji6]

Happy holidays [emoji319][emoji319]

Last edited:

relexus

Temp : 24 degrees celcius
Salinity : 1023,7
No2 : 0
No3 : 50
Cu : 0
Ca : 500
Po4 : 2,5
Kh : 7
Ph : 8,5
Nh3 : 0
Nh4 : 0

relexus

I know it has been a while but we are in the ugly stage atm. Trying to get my no3 down and the rest looks good. Today i found this little critter. I think it is mom because we have little ones crawling around as well. Has anyone any idea. I got square eyes from looking on the net and got lost.

f0271f72200d97ddfb228eba3437f2ee.jpg

Many thanks