"OT" I want this!

Gina

RS STAFF
Mark found this filly for sale here in Indiana. She will be 2 years old May 19th 08. She already stands 15 hands. For those of you who know horses, what's your initial thoughts?
She comes to you in pasture and from what I hear is sweet. The only problem I have is she's not broke and wouldn't be able to train her till she's 2 anyway. But, she sure is pretty!

I think this would be a pretty nice christmas present!

Attachments

• IMG_0110 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0110 (Small).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1674 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1674 (Small).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 80

lcstorc

Beautiful horse.
If you have the knowledge to train her well then I say go for it. She is a beautiful animal and I am sure would become a wonderful addition.

Gina

RS STAFF
Hmm....I have he knowledge and trained one a long time ago with the emphasis on long time! LOL
I am almost 52 now and not sure I want to put my body through that.
The training could go smoothly or NOT! LOL
I would probably hire someone to help with that.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Magnificent looking creature@ Sounds like a FUN (read possibly painful) endeavor but also a VERY rewarding one. I say do like Tiger Woods says, "Just do it!"

A :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
She is a beauty Gina! On that note, even after broke shes going to have some, (ok a lot!) of spirit and be a challenge. I personally would go for a few years older. But if your into the battle go for it!

kathywithbirds

She's pretty. I'm not terribly knowledgable at all but I worked at a stable for a couple of years... I remember the boss (woman) breaking a 3-year-old Arabian mix, and WHOA. She had this technique of starting introducing a "bit" of licorice, she was real slow in the process of breaking, but still, it was a little rough with that one. She broke her stallion herself and ended up with broken ribs and a broken collarbone.

Gina

RS STAFF
She's pretty. I'm not terribly knowledgable at all but I worked at a stable for a couple of years... I remember the boss (woman) breaking a 3-year-old Arabian mix, and WHOA. She had this technique of starting introducing a "bit" of licorice, she was real slow in the process of breaking, but still, it was a little rough with that one. She broke her stallion herself and ended up with broken ribs and a broken collarbone.

Ha! That's what I'm afraid of. I was 18 last time I broke a horse and now my bones are old and I'm afraid of the horse breaking me! LOL

ScottT1980

I am a cow person, but talking to some of the horse people in my class (some of which will be great practitioners in the future), their concern was similar to what others have mentioned. If she is 2 years old and has yet to be broken, you are going to have your hands full. The fact that it is not a QH may make it a little easier, but you will probably need to hire someone to help out, if not take over breaking the horse...

She is gorgeous, conformation looks pretty good (difficult to tell with the way she was standing). Have you seen the mare or stallion?

Gina

RS STAFF
I have not been to the farm yet but, these are the filly's parents.
I know pictures are no comparison for hands on though.
If we decide we are really interested in her, we will visit the farm and see the filly along with her parents before deciding.
I'm not in a rush to purchase a horse and want to be sure whatever one I do get will be the right fit for me.
As far as looks go though.......this is exactly what I am looking for.
I'm taking all post into consideration.
Hey Scott, any of your classmates coming to Indy?
You should be about done now with school right?
How's it been going?

Attachments

• sweetness (Small).jpg
    sweetness (Small).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 69
  • hosanna5 (Small).jpg
    hosanna5 (Small).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 68

ScottT1980

Great looking pair!

Hey Scott, any of your classmates coming to Indy?
You should be about done now with school right?
How's it been going?

I don't know if any will head to Indy. Most of the horsie folks will probably stay in the NC/VA area. Lord knows, VA seems to have plenty of horse work for them. FL is another attractive area these days. Of course, when you start working on million dollar animals, liability and stress tend to go through the roof.

I am in my 3rd year, so almost done. Its been much more difficult than I ever thought it would be. No concepts are difficult, but the volume of material is just overwhelming. I am ready to get out, as my debt-load is pretty daunting at this point. I don't know if any new graduate is really "ready," but like many other jobs, the best education is real-world experience.

Gina

RS STAFF
I've heard many of my friends who went on to Vet school say the work load is much harder than even those who choose (human) med school.
One girl I worked with when I lived in Maryland is finishing her 4th year now and can't wait for it to be over.
She did have help though with financing as our boss gave her $50,000 a year as long as she came to work for him for 2 years. She already sign a contract.
The thing is, she loves where we were at and planned on working there anyway. We'll see how she feels about the hosp after 2 years! It's a very very busy place and most of the vets were always saying that working there gave them no personal life.

Witfull

when it comes to "pretty" on a horse, it dont hold water. lineage is a background as well. what are your desires for a horse? purpose? to me(and yes ive had a few horses) is independance but total trust of rider. this is a time/love invenstment, on both parts. a good horse will let ylu guide it to what needs doing and do it without question. i mostly used my horse for hunting and the main criteria was noise. able to follow deer, knowing where/how to do it. then when the time to shoot, stand straight and not move while shooting.

if you want any relationship with a horse, its a dedication....and its up to you if you can give it....the horse wants it.

caitrina

I really don't think you can go by other people's opinions with this one. I used to own/ride/train hunter/ jumpers in my younger years..would I do it now? If I had the physical ability to do so, yes I would, even at 50, if I had stayed active in the horse world, (riding, training, etc.) If you have been out of it for any length of time (which I don't know if you have) then you are going to have those issues to deal with also. You know your own physical ability and shape. Are you up to it, physically and mentally, if you are the one to train him? This is a young un'. Tennesse walkers...beautiful horse, temperament, easy riding, but what do you want it for...to compete down the road, pleasure, a trail horse or just to have. If I am looking for a pleasure horse I am going to get one already trained, older and "bomb"proof. Not an old plug, but something I can enjoy and not have to worry about it spooking at every little thing it passes.

I also think you need to see her and the parents, learn their personalities, maybe track down some other owners of offspring from them Observe her in the pasture, in stall, how she interacts with human, horse, and nature in general. Try also after the initial meeting to arrange it somehow where you can even kind of unexpectedly drop in and observe.

She is a beauty...........great Christmas present!

tbittner

I had a Tennessee walker when I was in my teens. Absolutely the sweetest, kindest, nicest horse.

I agree with others, the reason for the horse would help decide the breed that you want to look at. She sure is a purdy one though! :)

Gina

RS STAFF
I want to get back into horses for Trail Riding, Western Pleasure and just riding around my farm.
I sold my last horse when I was about 22 but, have been trail riding (others horses) since.
My last horse was a paint, 1/2 Saddlebred 1/2 throughbred.
He was an even tempered horse with alot of flash. He stood approximatly 16.3 hands and I loved him!
We had developed a strong bond and I could do whatever I wanted with him.
I am older but still very fit!
I started riding when I was six and as I got more experience started showing.
I used to comptete alot in Rodeos....mostly barrell racing and pole bending.

The owner of this filly sent us pictures of the mare and stallion so, I'm not sure when they were taken. I have to agree that she does look pregnant in the pic.

I haven't been there yet to see them but, may end up paying them a visit to see what they have even besides this filly.
My husband doesn't have much experience riding and for him we are looking for a calm, bomb proof horse but, I want something with a little more spunk than that.

I appreciate everyones help with coming to a conclusion on my decision. Which I havne't made yet! I'm only looking for 1 horse for myself and I have to be sure I choose the right one.

I have several riders I've been working with in the past few months that are coming back to horses after a long hiatus! I teach saddle seat lessons and love every minute of it. From your last post I think you're on the right track, Before you jump in and start riding again, I'd make some relationships in the area with trainers and instructors and take a few lessons. Get your muscles back in shape and your mind fine tuned. Sometimes the mind body connection isn't so hot after you've been out of the saddle for more than a year. Believe me I've went through that. Right now I have a show horse(saddlebred) that is my pleasure/trail horse during the winter. We go to high level shows then take the winter off for fun for both of us! He does both saddle seat and western and I just love him to death.
So I guess my recommendation is if you buy her send her to a reputable trainer and take some lessons while she's learning her big girl ways! The more recent saddle time you have the better off both of you will be. Oh and read up on ground work, it is immensely effective and will give you a way to connect with her and get your point across without balance being in the equation. That's my two cents.