optimal coral population

sacktheqb65

How do I know when to stop adding coral and just let it grow vs. buying more to fill in the gaps? I ask because I have a few more ledges and shelves that I want to add some corals to, but I also know that I dont want to overcrowd the tank. What are your thoughts? Is there a guideline of any kind like with fish populations (inches/gallon)? Thanks!

sirrealism

No there is no guideline that i have ever heard of. But do remember your frags wont be frags for ever and if you have any corals that touch you might end up with coral warfare and dead corals. So a lot of this comes down to what type of corals you are keeping. Post a pic of what your trying to do and you will get a lot more help with this.

sacktheqb65

I know there are still several places to put some more, but I dont want to go overboard and have coral-warfare. I know thats not any time soon, but at some point I just want to sit back and watch it all grow! Also, I have a couple that keep falling over... any suggestions for keeping them in place? Super Glue has not worked for me, but I have seen where lots of folks swear by it.

This is what the tank looks like now:

sacktheqb65

I should add that Im pretty new to the hobby. Im having a great time. But I dont know A LOT... So any advice/input/suggestions are welcome!!!

sirrealism

You have lots of room. You can put about 2-3x that much in there so you have a long way to go. Mushrooms dont have coral warfare nor do the sun polyps. Tank looks great by the way. You can get 2 part epoxy that made for holding corals in place. Not sure of the name. I have some at home and if no one else comes up with the name I will post it after work. Your doing a good job, Take it slow and add more coral at the rate of 1 or 2 pieces a week or slower and you will be fine.