Oneinamillion's RSM 130, new owner

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good idea on the JBJ surface skimmer! Try to remember to lift it off on a water change or you'll be trying to get it out from behind the rock. :) I assume it's held on by water pressure and flow, like the one in my little 6 G JBJ?

Haha yes good idea. Yep, it sticks on from the water suction. And temps seemed to have stabilized around 79-80 degrees.

How exactly do you use the light timer? I know the pins out means on and pins in mean off, but not sure about the dial, etc. I read a few threads and still not following.
Do the numbers signify what time they go on and off? Or are they the duration and how long you want them on..?

GregT

Haha yes good idea. Yep, it sticks on from the water suction. And temps seemed to have stabilized around 79-80 degrees.

How exactly do you use the light timer? I know the pins out means on and pins in mean off, but not sure about the dial, etc. I read a few threads and still not following.
Do the numbers signify what time they go on and off? Or are they the duration and how long you want them on..?

turn the dial so the time right now lines up with 'arrow' then adjust the pins to suit the on and off cycle

tnwillia

I know it's hard but the longer you wait on adding any livestock beyond CUC the better chance you have they will be around for a long time. Go slow, and have fun!

Thanks for the compliments! I resifted the sand cause it makes the island in the middle and the "tunnel" on the left completely covered up so more pictures to come.

I was thinking about getting 3 or 4 blue tangs..

;) Just kidding

An update:

I got my Tunze 9002! w inTank cup. I've been through a lot to get this tank up and running.. its such a battle to get every little quirk fixed and to familiarize yourself with all the equipment, etc. I dont think i'd ever be able to leave on a vacation because no one will know how to take care of this tank.

Anyway, I had lots of problems with overheating.. my hood fans were placed in the wrong way (instead of venting hot air out, it blew air in). I also had been waiting on a better skimmer which is finally here, and the chiller I had bought wasn't working.

But... the good news is I got my tunze skimmer (just have to install it), i replaced my 200w heater (which turned out to be off by nearly 8-10 degrees!) with a 100w heater. I also got 3 red hermit crabs, 3 nassarius snails and one fire shrimp and had them for a few days. Tomorrow once everything tests good, I am going to add a pair of juvenile clowns. :)

Pics coming soon once I get the mess cleaned up.

JimmyJ

Sounds like everything is starting to come together for you. Look forward to seeing some pics.

My place is a mess. Tunze, old skimmer, screws, towels, hoses everywhere..

Update:

Today I added a pair of Firefish/fire gobies. Normally they don't pair up from what I understand and are better off alone but these were the only 2 in the tank and the Petco manager said they have been there for a long time. They looked real healthy, and they're really smart. Who woulda thought? One burrowed in the sand and pretended to be dead while the manager tried to net him out.

I also have received some free polyps and coral today as a start off and I may need some help IDing it. I really don't know what i'm looking at or how to take care of it. In fact, I'm a little worried i'm going to introduce something harmful or some kind of parasite or something to my tank. Or a coral I may not want later and cannot remove. One, is an elegance coral. I understand they are aggressive so still on the boat about that. The other is a xenia and there is one I cannot identify. Looks kind of purple or red and looks like blisters or warts. lol I will post pics and hopefully someone can tell me what they are.

Also, there is a tiny brittle star as well. These are good, not bad right? I hate the way they look and it reminds me of spiders so Im not sure about this one either. Any opinions?

Let me know if there's any advice tips and feedback so far.
EDIT:
Took some quick shots.

Tank with only rock, 1 fire shrimp, 3 nassarius snails and 3 red hermits.
001-4-2.jpg

The free bunch I got. I need help IDing from anyone that can be of assistance please. You can see the legs of a brittle star on the if you look to the bottom right corner. It is attached to the elegance coral.
007-2.jpg

Not sure what this is. It may be a piece of the one on the top right corner. They seem fragmented. I am not sure if they are one coral or 3 different ones.
006-2.jpg

This one I know. A xenia and apparently goes like weed.
005-3.jpg

I have no clue what this coral is. It may be the same one as the smaller pieces posted above.
004-2.jpg

Elegance coral. Shriveled up though..
003-2.jpg

I have no clue if it's dead.... or ...
013.jpg

I may be mistaken, ID on the star? Brittle or serpent? I cant stand to look at this something about it reminds me spiders and I hate spiders.
010.jpg

I don't know much about corals and though I have only started reading, these were handed to me free without me expecting it so it kind of puts some pressure on me to learn and read up before introducing them. The MAIN concern of mine is i do not want anything with toxins or venom or anything harmful in my tank. Including zoas.. at least for the time being. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nice freebie corals! I think most of the unknowns are different types of zoas, and should be pretty when they open up. That may happen quickly or take a few days. Most close up at night and open after the lights come on.

Correct on the Xenia - it either grows like a weed, or melts away. Best to keep it on a separate rock on the bottom, or on top - it grows towards light.

I can't really see much of the brittle star, but ugly or not they are excellent CUC, and you probably already have a lot in the tank that came in with the live rock. Probably all micro brittle stars that stay very small. I have lots of them and they hurt nothing that I'm aware of.

Difficult to tell on the Elegance, till it gets in the tank and see if it expands.

Just about all, if not all, corals have some type of toxins, or stinging capability. I wouldn't worry about it - it's just the way it is with corals. Wear gloves when working with them - I like the disposable surgical type gloves, and a rubberband around my wrist to keep water out as much as possible. Glasses or safety glasses are good too - to avoid getting anything splashed in your eyes while working with corals out of the tank.

Looking forward to pictures when everything opens up!

Thanks! I had no idea zoas look like that, I didn't even know they closed up. I placed all of them in the tank and am particularly waiting for all of them to open up a bit. I have heard some HORROR stories about palytoxins and now they can cause some serious damage, not to mention kill you so i have been trying to stay away from those. More pictures coming.

Do you feed the elegance, xenia or zoas? Or are they photosynthetic?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
When I started... lfs had me feeding DT's Live Marine Phytoplankton

DT'S PLANKTON FARM

but now all I do is target feed a few of my corals & all the rest get what I feed the fish...

Might target feed the elegance, like frozen mysis shrimp...

tnwillia

+1, You really don't need to feed them, they'll get it in the flow but I do now and then. I'm guessing Zoas & Polyps, they should open up within a day or so and you'll know for sure.

I'm no Xenia fan! IMO put the Xenia in knowing it grows like weeds, I spent months getting it all out, but thay are pretty.

Space out your corals to start, as you add, if they start fighting (Zoas) you'll know it and you can spread then away from each other. What you have now is living with each other on your colony rocks and will be fine. They all close up agitated, eating or sleeping for the most part.

Have fun with your tank!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The Palytoxins are really only bad with a few Palythoa species, but it's best to treat all Zoas and Palys with great respect - wearing gloves when working with them and glasses (they have been known to squirt water). Wash up well after working with them. No need to be afraid of them - just use safeguards when working with them.

I do wear gloves but maybe i'm just overreacting. The description of palytoxins are pretty scary. Does it spread in the water? If the coral releases it into the tank and I put my hand in the tank, will it affect me? There's no way i can never get wet or drip water on the floor and sanitize everything lol

A few more pictures, one of the zoas opened up if anyone can ID it.

Elegance coral. Still not opening up..
014.jpg

fire shrimp which i never see, came out when i fed the firefish. they all eat marine flakes sweet.
015.jpg

Closed
021.jpg

Opened up. ID anyone?
029.jpg

Pair of firefish. From a hunch and observation, I think they may be "mated" or one male one female. Apparently it's nearly impossible to tell for sure though.
030.jpg

Close up
033.jpg

Bigger zoas I just added. it's starting to open up slowly
035.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I remember when I 1st started with swt's, buying my 1st zoa & the lfs guy (long time in the business) just reached in & pick it up with his hands, I ask him, can you do that, I read you should not... his answer was ... I don't recommend it, but I do it all the time, so I figured, I didn't have to be "too" scared, after that...

having said the above, wearing gloves, while handing them, is the smart thing to do :)