OMG I Did, Juan's 275G Cichlid Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackalope

unlike SW, FW and rock, which wont be LR in essense, does nothing but asthetics. so you lose water volume for not much good reason imo. ive heard of people using crushed coral for buffer and what not before but dont know how well it works. then again its been 15 years since ive done FW so what do i know? =-)

Jackalope

here's my step-daughter's 30 i slapped together when i got bored.

IMAG0184.jpg

jpsika08

That... I don't know. There is a tank down in a mall in Fargo, ND that uses the rock I think you're talking about. Knowing what I do about the LFS taking care of it(a branch of the same one up here in Grand Forks), they probably didn't even worry about it. Might be a question for the chemistry forum...

Thanks Quentin, did more research on this and yes, volcanic rock does have acid elements so it can lower PH pretty quick. But maybe treating it can help.

if its like the volcanic rock from hawaii that i once tried. if the fish fight around it or dart and brush against it, it will descale them... my red devil and managuense fought all the time. miss that jaguar fish. he would mess up Anything in my tank including my 2 tiger oscars i had that were twice his size. named him Satan he was that evil.

LOL, about the name.

Nice tank Juan, what's up with the overflow? Could you give some close ups of that?

Thanks Frankie, I will place some pics on Monday, basically this is an internal overflow, this was my former saltwater tank, I will remove it and cover the rear holes as I won't do a wet/dry system, only internal.

Juan,
I used lava rock and driftwood in my setup.....like Q said, soaking and letting the "crap" come out of it is good.......running carbon and purigen helps pull it out as well. IMO, Driftwood is essential......aesthetically and for fish protection/peace of mind. Having a planted garden is nice but unless it is rooted/weighted down, they will tear it up. As for the PH.....I learned (by mistake) that crushed coral and limestone is used to help keep it higher. The Malawi cichlids require more alkaline water - somewhere over 8.0 I think.

Setting the tank up with all rocks is cool too but then you have all that weight.....but it looks cool and I "think" it should help keep the tank clean.

Fun!

Thanks Bryan, I was thinking also on flat rocks so I can do different levels within the scape.

unlike SW, FW and rock, which wont be LR in essense, does nothing but asthetics. so you lose water volume for not much good reason imo. ive heard of people using crushed coral for buffer and what not before but dont know how well it works. then again its been 15 years since ive done FW so what do i know? =-)

here's my step-daughter's 30 i slapped together when i got bored.

IMAG0184.jpg

Thanks James, that is a really nice setup!

Jackalope

she likes the waterfall sound to sleep better. the kids had a rough life and i try my best to make it more comfortable of an enviroment for them. although every time i walk by and hear that waterfall i have to hit the bathroom running lol.

You get water in that thing yet?!?!

jpsika08

James,
That's true, waterfall sound is really soothing for anyone, :)

LOL, not yet, need to modify the internal overflow first, if not I will have water coming out of the rear of the tank :D
Hopefully Monday I can have this done and bring in the gravel and rocks, I really like your scape, so I will try to do something similar.

jpsika08

Ok guys, I'm pulling the plug on this one, my wife made me go into reason that handling to big tanks was simply insane LOL, and she's right, I almost managed to sell the tank anyway so no more FW for me, maybe some guppies in a glass on my office Desk LMAO!!!

Please keep visiting me at my saltwater tank (Link in my signature).

Mod please close this thread, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.