OMG I Did, Juan's 275G Cichlid Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpsika08

Well, couldn't resist having my poor old 275g tank and cabinet sitting by in a warehouse. So, I decided to go foward with the Chichid tank, which of these I will keep I really don't know at the moment, here are some of the things in the list and specs:

Tank Dimensions: 72" x 34" x 26" (275g)
Lights: VHO White Actinic and Super Actinic 72" bulbs with IceCap 660. (I think I will place another white and remove the pink one)
Substrate: Black gravel (Stone type)
Scape: A Mix of big boulders and a couple of tree branches (No plants).
Filtering, maybe a wetdry system underneath in the cabinet or 3 Aquaclear 110 filters.
Water movement: Maybe a couple of Koralia Evo 1,400 powerheads.
Heater: (2) 300watt heaters.

Here some pics of the tank in it's final place (My Office):
FW-4.jpg

FW-3.jpg

FW-2.jpg

FW-1.jpg

Light rack will be placed over today, so more pictures to come soon.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Great news Juan!!!! I kept jack dempsey's for a while. So many options and really cool fish (cichlids in general). I think the ones from the Malawai lake are rock dwellers.......very cool and pretty.

Good luck - your husbandry in SW will really help you out here - much easier IMO.

jpsika08

Thanks Bryan, I think so too, experience with marine tanks is moving me into this are are much quicker, and yes MUCH MUCH easier :D

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I would suggest the Africans Juan.....easier IMO and just as pretty

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thde "old" tank looks great in the new location! Now I have another "Juan Adventure" to follow. :)

Jackalope

yeah dont mix them up too much. africans are nice... i had a few full size oscars and an arrowana in a 300 loooong ago. those are fun!

jpsika08

Thanks Terry, I will even paint all walls pure white so the tank can really integrate with the whole scenery :)

Thank James :)
I was thinking of Piranhas too, but, are they difficult to keep or dangerous?

Jackalope

never kept them. they are illegal in my state... which uses a river as a border to Mexico. they wouldnt want those in there lol.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Juan,
Different types of chiclids require different water PH (which I assuem you're aware of).......you can mix them but there are rules.

Discus are awesome and breeding them is even more fun but I think that would require you to do some kind of FW plants.....then you get all into the CO2 etc. very picky about water though......beautiful on the otherhand.

This is going to be fun!

Jackalope

Well if my wife gets mad at me because i put up a FW tank, and i end up on the couch for a week, im blaming Juan's thread!

i got the itch now.... gah

imaccat

Wow Juan, I'm surprised you need an office, you cant have time to do any work, with all these tanks to set up and look after ;-)

Good luck on whatever you decide to stock it with, I cant offer any advice, but piranha sound interesting!

QuentinB

Sorry for not getting back to ya, I was in class and my teacher was glaring at me :D

Definitely don't mix new world and africans. Look at my tank - I had to separate an african because of how he was tearing up my other fish. Africans also like a higher PH, as was brought up before. Myself, I like the personality of the new world guys better, in my tank. Don't do discus. They're expensive, which I suppose might not be such an issue, but they also need lots of big waterchanges. Of course, you have more options than piranhas and oscars, but those are certainly some fun, fast-growing ones.

So yeah, let us know what you're thinking! I guess my biggest suggestion would be to compare some different species, see if any are that visually appealing to you!

jpsika08

Sorry Juan i must be more pursuasive on the Discus!

discus tank pics - Google Search

Thanks James, I did look at those and wow, they are very beautiful fish! love all the colors you can get, are they tough to keep?

never kept them. they are illegal in my state... which uses a river as a border to Mexico. they wouldnt want those in there lol.

LOL, it would be a good way to prevent illegal immigrants into the US! LOL j/k :)

Juan,
Different types of chiclids require different water PH (which I assuem you're aware of).......you can mix them but there are rules.

Discus are awesome and breeding them is even more fun but I think that would require you to do some kind of FW plants.....then you get all into the CO2 etc. very picky about water though......beautiful on the otherhand.

This is going to be fun!

Thanks Bryan, I love planted tanks, they really can upgrade the ornamental view of any place, the LFS specializes in them, I will ask about how difficult it would be to keep it running.

Well if my wife gets mad at me because i put up a FW tank, and i end up on the couch for a week, im blaming Juan's thread!

i got the itch now.... gah

LOL, this is why I'm here, to inspire you all to get the itch LMAO!!! :D

Wow Juan, I'm surprised you need an office, you cant have time to do any work, with all these tanks to set up and look after ;-)

Good luck on whatever you decide to stock it with, I cant offer any advice, but piranha sound interesting!

LOL, I think I will need an administrative team to keep up with all the maintenances. :)

Sorry for not getting back to ya, I was in class and my teacher was glaring at me :D

Definitely don't mix new world and africans. Look at my tank - I had to separate an african because of how he was tearing up my other fish. Africans also like a higher PH, as was brought up before. Myself, I like the personality of the new world guys better, in my tank. Don't do discus. They're expensive, which I suppose might not be such an issue, but they also need lots of big waterchanges. Of course, you have more options than piranhas and oscars, but those are certainly some fun, fast-growing ones.

So yeah, let us know what you're thinking! I guess my biggest suggestion would be to compare some different species, see if any are that visually appealing to you!

Thanks Quentin, thank you for the advice, I know you have great experience with these fish so please, throw in all advice you can give :)

Jackalope

not as tough as SW. i used to breed them about 15 years ago. ive forgotten tons of specifics, and all my books/bibles are gone thanks to ex g/f back then. but i have had just about every cichlid i can think of and enjoyed them all. the thing is with discus, as you mention, they are about the most colorfull FW species you can get ahold of... although the newer hybrid arrowanas are nice, they need LOTS of swimming room as they can near 2' in length. had one of those also... silver one =-)

Status
Not open for further replies.