OK Two new 75 Starfire tanks on the way and lots of possibilities and money.

Basile

Tylenol day

Well i woke up this morning with 101o temperature ,a head the size of a blimp,
two purring cats beside me and not much focus in my eyes. I greeded winter with both nostrills. Its now noon i got up to take my food for the day; it comes in a shape of two round white pellets with a funny desing on it. An orange juice that taste like crap and hurts my throat when i swallow. I have the same expression when i make my income taxes . I just had a phone call, its was as if a train was comming into my room. As soon as i explain that i had the flu , the person at the other end start telling what she does when she has the flu. Why is that? Why do people feel the need to tell other people how they deal with their flu symptoms they had last year while i'm the one having it right now, is a mystery to me. Whining, i'm a man , we whine when we have the flu, women talk about their hair and dress and don't shut up about it until we say something we whine about are flu, we each have are fixation , lol. In any case i'm going back to bed with my silent partners who's only sound is purr, soft kitty, soft kitty, little ball of fur, happy kitty, sleepy kitty purr purr purr. If you have no idea punch Big Bang theory; soft kitty.

960186_670665609632127_513922414_n.jpg

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hope you get to feeling better soon. Partly for selfish reasons, I'm ready to see water in this masterpiece. :)

Willie McDaries

basile, you've outdone yourself this time, this system is looking incredible, those razors are sexy, very nice work man

love the kitty litter sand too.....the sand I removed from my refugeum was placed in a styrofoam cooler and sitting on my front porch, first thing to happen was the lid get blown off and a cat or 2 found it irresistible LOL

Basile

caught in the act!

Ah HA ! Caught in the act this morning , laying on the beach......when he saw me he new he was in trouble he started to cry, the kind that make your blood ice cold, he was scared, so i went easy on him he was so scared he didn't want to come down from behind the tank, i found out later that Lulu was also there hiding terrified, lol so i took them down gently this time. They know when i'm not happy. I don't talk very loud only when angry and they know the difference.
I was quick with the cam yes lol. Don't know how i managed that,lol.

Photo066.jpg

Photo067.jpg

Photo068.jpg

This morning feeling a bit better i took the ceramic panels that will be behind the primary sculpture out of the reef tank and cleaned up the space.

Photo069.jpg

Now the inside of the tank whith is 22 5/8 , see the tape.....Remember when i said to wait to have your tank before making a sculpture , because it helps with the scale of your piece. I didn't have my tank when i started and this is the result. The sculpture is actually too big for my tank. Its still usable but it wont have the effect i was counting on or that it should have if it was in a ; let say a 30 wide tank. I have to stick it close to the backwall for it to fit because of the foward arm, from which the stalactite will drop.

628e1df1-4b43-4863-82cc-29e1b106559b.jpg

As you can see the space between the sculpture and the backwall is very narrow, so much so i had to chizel some piece of the wall off. So i can lower down the sculpture without a hitch. Its a very snug fit.

Photo071.jpg

Photo072.jpg

I'm not sure about the waterflow of the tank anymore, because of those tight spots. In the original plan 2 tunze 6095 was enough but now , it may require a third we'll see.

Photo074.jpg

Photo075.jpg

Photo076.jpg

The forward shelves creating the arm and support for the stalactite , takes a lot of room and pushes the main body againts the wall, literaly, lol. It'll make a cool display when finished but some of the details will be lost because of the scale i used. so when you start your piece make sure you have your tank very important. I'll make my stalactite when the water is in the tank . This is for several reasons.

Photo077.jpg

The pieces i took out off the wall;

Photo078.jpg

My 2 pieces of plexiglass to support the sculpture should spread the load evenly over the entire area. The dam silicone; they sell that for aquarium tanks, white? Never paid attention when i bought it. Why white? For aquariums, can anybody tell me where in the world did you ever see white silicone in a tank? rant over...

Photo079.jpg

Putting the ceramic panels on top of the plexiglass at precise markings, because the sculpture is 3 feet long and a few inches seperates it from the other set of sculpture, the Tonga Branch sculptures....

Photo080.jpg

Photo081.jpg

Photo082.jpg

Basile

Concept Aquarium from Calgary

Concept Aquariums are building me a brand new Sump free of charge and sending it first thing next week, priority one, no charge for their mistake, they hadn't tried it under the stand before shipping it, and it didn't fit. Its going to be in two pieces so easier to install front loader no more moving that big 150G to fit it in . They're doing the new plans this weekend, building it and i should have it next week. Great service. So now i have a sump to sell; 48"X20"X16" . The new sump will have one piece of 32"X19"X16" and the other 10"X19"X16" .

The old one, or should i say the one that doesn't fit

Photo027.jpg

Photo028.jpg

Photo029.jpg

Photo030.jpg

Photo038.jpg

Willie McDaries

that's a good looking sump, it's a shame it wouldn't fit but now you have something to sell that will help offset the cost of your build LOL

Basile

that's a good looking sump, it's a shame it wouldn't fit but now you have something to sell that will help offset the cost of your build LOL
Yes i know but Concept are very good, and one good thing comes out of it. I'll be able to take my sump out if i need too from the front of the stand. Thats a plus otherwise it would of been impossible other than emptying the 150G and moving the whole thing...... much more practicle this way.

Willie McDaries

Yes i know but Concept are very good, and one good thing comes out of it. I'll be able to take my sump out if i need too from the front of the stand. Thats a plus otherwise it would of been impossible other than emptying the 150G and moving the whole thing...... much more practicle this way.

yep, having to remove the display tank to remove the sump would be a big issue for me too, having it in 2 pieces and removable is a lot better idea...can't wait to see some fish and coral in this tank :)

Basile

yep, having to remove the display tank to remove the sump would be a big issue for me too, having it in 2 pieces and removable is a lot better idea...can't wait to see some fish and coral in this tank :)

Ya , really looking foward to it. However i'm less impatient than some admirers on some site lol, or friends for that matter. Now that i'm retired, or semi, i like to take my time and enjoy the build up process better since i'm no longer pushed around by an insane schedule and my Doc is very happy that i see it that way. He says i'm making great progress in managing my time and relaxing for a change. It also gives me more time to plan and take care of details. I rather do this right the first time and no rush, i have no deadline. I'll be satisfied when everything is accomplished, but the right way , not the rushed way. I wont need to resculped my rockwork in 6 months, or upgrade my skimmer next year or any or my equipment for that matter because i chose them for specific reasons in mind. Some people don't like my lights, for example. Sure their're better on the market but for my need; i only need one for a PAR capable of penetrating my 21" that why i chose that dept for my custom made tanks. And most of my corals will be, softies, LPS, and some SPS but just some. I'll also have macro-algae in there. So my choice was an informed one. If i change to more sps i'll have to upgrade but that is if. Thats why i took my time setting it up and enjoying every minute of it. Today i'll be filling up the cracks between the backpanels and their bottoms, tomorrow i'll probably be coating resins and sanding that black foam. That is if my temperature is not too hight, its at 99 this morning. Next week my buddy is much more experienced in plumbing will come and examine my work and we'll finish together the main stuff. Dec 3-4 the air-exchanger guys are coming to install it. i should be putting the water in dec 5th for testing and start it on the 6th. 3 weeks later i should be able to put my Chromis in it, they've been quarantine since sept lol in the small fuge i made, and that i'll use to seed the big system.

Willie McDaries

Ya , really looking foward to it. However i'm less impatient than some admirers on some site lol, or friends for that matter. Now that i'm retired, or semi, i like to take my time and enjoy the build up process better since i'm no longer pushed around by an insane schedule and my Doc is very happy that i see it that way. He says i'm making great progress in managing my time and relaxing for a change. It also gives me more time to plan and take care of details. I rather do this right the first time and no rush, i have no deadline. I'll be satisfied when everything is accomplished, but the right way , not the rushed way. I wont need to resculped my rockwork in 6 months, or upgrade my skimmer next year or any or my equipment for that matter because i chose them for specific reasons in mind. Some people don't like my lights, for example. Sure their're better on the market but for my need; i only need one for a PAR capable of penetrating my 21" that why i chose that dept for my custom made tanks. And most of my corals will be, softies, LPS, and some SPS but just some. I'll also have macro-algae in there. So my choice was an informed one. If i change to more sps i'll have to upgrade but that is if. Thats why i took my time setting it up and enjoying every minute of it. Today i'll be filling up the cracks between the backpanels and their bottoms, tomorrow i'll probably be coating resins and sanding that black foam. That is if my temperature is not too hight, its at 99 this morning. Next week my buddy is much more experienced in plumbing will come and examine my work and we'll finish together the main stuff. Dec 3-4 the air-exchanger guys are coming to install it. i should be putting the water in dec 5th for testing and start it on the 6th. 3 weeks later i should be able to put my Chromis in it, they've been quarantine since sept lol in the small fuge i made, and that i'll use to seed the big system.

I'd bet those razors will be great for SPS too, they are definitely sexy to look at and should retain most their resale value if you do choose to upgrade to a more powerful set up later...I think you're gonna be well pleased with your system this time around, and much more so than your old 65g tank, which was awesome itself :) you're doing a great job and going about it in the best way possible, just keep taking your time and don't let it stress you out, it will be ready when it's ready...to do anything right takes time and proper planning and if you're not rushing it, there may be things along the way that you might wanna change in your design that would be harder to do or you would regret not doing if you rushed it...I'll be following along for the next 15 years or more if it takes it LOL

Basile

I'd bet those razors will be great for SPS too, they are definitely sexy to look at and should retain most their resale value if you do choose to upgrade to a more powerful set up later...I think you're gonna be well pleased with your system this time around, and much more so than your old 65g tank, which was awesome itself :) you're doing a great job and going about it in the best way possible, just keep taking your time and don't let it stress you out, it will be ready when it's ready...to do anything right takes time and proper planning and if you're not rushing it, there may be things along the way that you might wanna change in your design that would be harder to do or you would regret not doing if you rushed it...I'll be following along for the next 15 years or more if it takes it LOL

Actually this is one thing i found out by taking my time ; i've resolve some issues more easily and found other ways of doing things just by leaving it alone for a few days and these ideas just came to me and some solutions presented themselves in that fashion also. So taking your time does pay off in the end.

Basile

Sculptures are in

Well my sculptures are in the tank, while i'm waiting for my new sump. Since Concept has built me a new one and shipping it this week it should arrive next week. Its in 2 part; part one, drains and skimmer; 32"X19"X16" and the reactors and return module 18"X19"X16" . Both part will be loaded from the from of the stand which will be more practicle actually, if i have to change, sump in the future... Done at no extra cost since they'd build it and not tried it under the stand before sending it, they stood behind their service . Extremely good service with that company.

Well here's my finished sculptures, in the tank and backwalls

Photo098.jpg

Photo099.jpg

One reason i said in my videos about having your tank when you do your sculpture is to have a better sense of scale. Well here's a good example of this. As you can see the piece is stuck to the backwall. The sculpture is actually too big for the tank; still usable but i made it without the tank and could ajust the scale correctly. Because of that its off center, and pushed back. It would be more at home in a 30" wide tank rather tank a 24". I'm still using it and happy about it, but food for thought.

Photo100.jpg

Photo102.jpg

Photo093.jpg

Because i didn't have the tank the height as also been miscalculated. The plexiglass has risen the piece; replacing the 1/2"pvc with 1" pvc as well . So now the sculpture will be partly out of the water . It doesn't compromise its use but changes ; the lighting, the waterflow expectations, and the stalactite position and lenght as a result.

Photo089.jpg

I plan to have little crab climbing outside the water onto those selves, got to find the species that does that lol. Some sargasum can grow near the surface as well.

Photo093.jpg

Photo094.jpg

The stalactite will still look cool there.

Photo088.jpg

The waterflow has to go throught this now eeewweww grrrrrrrr

Photo101.jpg

Photo103.jpg

Two inch of sand will cover the plexiglass and the feet of the support structure. One inch will be clear for water to flow through and under . A cave will be formed with corals positioned around the feet and the structure hiding most of it.

Photo087.jpg

The 2 " sand covering the eggcrates will make these branch rise from the sea floor and stand on their own, one covered with green star polyp, the other with zoas and keeping the shape of the branch will make a stunning effect.

Photo090.jpg

Photo086.jpg

The refugium

Photo085.jpg

Photo084.jpg

Photo083.jpg

Photo095.jpg

Re: Sculptures are in

Ticking along nicely and there is nothing wrong in taking it slowly. There are probably far more advantages in taking time.

Basile

Re: Sculptures are in

Ticking along nicely and there is nothing wrong in taking it slowly. There are probably far more advantages in taking time.

Most defenitely, i'm actually enjoying it more and for longer lol. No kidding the other times it seem to have past so fast i didn't seem to even remember the time i did it lol. And this time i have time to take it in and actually forsee problem ahead and correct them before they occur. I do less mistakes and it cost less lol. I also discover solution based on time and time management , so its really great when you don't rush it. I use to be very impatient,and always in a rush, but i must say being on a semi retirement and no longer in a schedule helps the mind to see more clearly and enjoy the little things.

Basile

looking nice Basile :)

Thanks, i'm getting a little thursty for saltwater now lol. I finished foaming my stalactite this morning, will sand part of it tonight and finish sanding it tomorrow. Still got to drill 3 more holes in the concrete for those lights and the plexiglass i'm putting behind the fuge so the cats dont go in lol; i don't trust those little skit lol. Then my secon sump is on its way and i have to wait for it to finish the plumbing because the mesurements have change due to the fact that now the sump is in two parts, because now it'll be loaded from the front instead of the side. so the compartments have shifted...dam it. Ya.... Some of my early plumbing is offset but can be rectified farely easely. Still the rest has to be done only when it arrives. So next week only. Slow but sure, lol. Cheers all.

Willie McDaries

I've never been able to do my plumbing just once, it has always been a work in progress LOL you'll get it done, that's all that matters :)

Basile

Finally finished the Stalactite and its really cool looking

It made of a eggcrate core, with rubble rocks tied with zip ties, around the eggcrate, foamed between the rocks tied to a nylon rod , sanded with epoxy resin and sand and voila.

I have no word to describe how cool ...just check it out

Photo127.jpg

Photo128.jpg

Photo129.jpg

Photo130.jpg

Photo132.jpg

Photo133.jpg

Photo134.jpg

Photo135.jpg

Photo136.jpg

Photo137.jpg

Photo138.jpg

Photo139.jpg

Photo140.jpg

Photo141.jpg

Photo142.jpg

Photo143.jpg

Lulu was guarding it ....

Photo126.jpg

Photo125.jpg

Photo124.jpg

Photo123.jpg

Photo122.jpg

Its better to have a thick resin because the sand stick to it much better so a 5min one works best, so don't mess around get going with it.

Photo121.jpg

Photo120.jpg

While i did the foam i sprinkled some crush coral on it , but be carefull on the edges otherwise it'll fall over,that technique is better just on the top of the stalactite .

Photo119.jpg

After the sanding even on top of the crush coral

Photo118.jpg

Photo117.jpg

Photo107.jpg

Photo106.jpg

Always start at the end

Photo105.jpg

Photo104.jpg

My first one same process

Photo557.jpg

Photo559.jpg

Photo564.jpg

Photo130.jpg

I can't wait for the fish to swim around that and the gorgonians and the likes.

:wavey::beer::dance: