OK Two new 75 Starfire tanks on the way and lots of possibilities and money.

Basile

Flatworm nightmare

Did a treatment, flat worm treatment with flat morm exit changed 30 gallons of water , worms seems to be all dead will se effect on the rest of the tank. the dosing was restricted to the refugium because with my gate valves i can isolate both my refugiums and the main tank. So while i treated the refugium i could still pump and filter the main reef. When i restarted the refugium i just stopped the pumps to the main reef to give the carbon time to filter out the toxin for an hour before i resume the connection of both system.

I had previously taken my seahorses, my lionfish and my big inverts out of there, and put them in the huge overflow at the back of the main reef. Plenty of room and separators to isolate the lionfish. Now i'm just waiting to see the result and if other casulties will emerge. I had tried all possible natural ways, but they overtook the tank.

Sorry for the long wait not myself these days.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hope all is well in your end of the world mate! And I hope your flatworm treatment has worked in killing it all off :)

Looking forward to seeing your next big picture update though :)

Basile

yes it certainly refresh the old dojo . Don't know how long ...... i've been in my usual depression mode this winter. New meds aren't aren't as effective as the old , but the other ones made me fart.

giphy%205.gif

Frankie

RS STAFF
I was so thinking of you when I saw this video. I am very into my music and did a search on the band and saw this:

Basile

Thanks much appreciated one of my fave is this one ; i like the upbeat and energy, make me want to dance, and get up in the morning lol. And its about summer , i'm all about sunshine if its gloomy thats how i'll feel all day.

Last edited:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
+1 to Glenn

Would love to hear how you're going mate :) I hope that all is well though :)

Oxylebius

You mentioned a flatworm nightmare back in Feb. How is that going? Wrasses can be great at picking them off and keeping them in check.

Basile

Comming out of Hybernation lol

Over skimming and stopping your skimmer a report on one year experiment: Last year i deciced to reduce my skimming due to the fact that my system and my tank style demanded extra nutrients.

Fed by gravity with a 75G refugium full of 37 different macro's.

The reef has a NPS zone demanding extra feeding and extra nutrients.
12 species of gorgonians with special feeding needs.
It has 13 diffrent species of sponges which requires bacteria and other
nutrients to survive, i have enough sponge matter for it to filter my whole system in 24 hours.

I also have 2 Crinoides, one is a baskets star the other a feather star. Both requires particules
in the water column to survive.

Today after 8 months of skimming only 12 hours a day and looking at my sponges growth and having found the ultimate prize
my crinoides growth, i can say with certitude that shutting down your skimmer half the time is not bad for a system it may help
in its growth. Depending of course on your bioload and what kind of system you have and its demands. No system is alike nor are its
needs. You have to know what your system needs. I knew mine. I also knew how much my sponges filter my water and by how much.

If you look at the video of the feather star and the last of my picture you'll see that the end of her legs have regrown. When sea stars starve the eat their own legs ; its a survival reflex. And in the picture you can clearly see that she's got a nice regrowth. Proof that she's doing ok. They're not easy to keep alive i feel very lucky and hopefully stopping my skimming has helped her get extra food. Any way just wanted to share the result of a year long skimming reduction and its impact on a tank.

DSC_0004.jpg

Sorry about the resolution its in the back of the tank and i had to over expose since it feeds at night. But she has more legs they can have up to 200 legs when they become large.

Minion-2014-quote-funny.jpg