OK Two new 75 Starfire tanks on the way and lots of possibilities and money.

Basile

Great update Basile ! Love your feather star !

images

Thanks , i'm very happy about the result of the experiment. i started slow only 4 hours per day and then 6 hours , 8 and after 4 months i when for the big 12 hours without the skimming. But i do have the system geared up for it. You have to make your own assessment of your tank and its needs.

Plus the skimmer capacity is very important. Mine is basically a Hoover its so good but it has a coast to coast overflow that helps it, you see. All those little things have to be taken into consideration when you decide to do something like that.

I also have a huge refugium, half the size of the main reef, who also has its own coast to coast overflow. So all that make a very efficient skimming system. So basically to avoid disaster its better to know your system and what it can do before you attemped something like this.

StirCrayzy

Great job, & good to hear from ya!
I knew you would benefit from this skimming scenario, the facts, and physics are on the side of success in this theory for your setup.
I have one question I've been wondering as a longer term test...
Have any macros gone sexual and begun sprouting in the DT

Basile

Great job, & good to hear from ya!
I knew you would benefit from this skimming scenario, the facts, and physics are on the side of success in this theory for your setup.
I have one question I've been wondering as a longer term test...
Have any macros gone sexual and begun sprouting in the DT

Thanks for your encouragement. As for your question , none, didn't happened. And the macro i was affraid it would over take my fuge or my DT was in fact very popular , i put a rock full of it in my DT and less tha 8h later the tangs had shaved it completely so i have no fear of it now. It was the Caulerpa mexicana that proves quite the grower and invasive. But the tangs and the foxface took care of it .

So i'm happy with the experiment;

happy-minion-despicable-me-rainbow.jpg

Oxylebius

All those sponges of yours are essentially acting like the protein skimmer. Sponges filter water very fast and efficiently (and they also take in phosphates), therefore it makes sense to stop your protein skimming for 12 hrs each day.

I'm very happy you were able to keep that crinoid alive. Crinoids and basket stars are two animals that should stay in the ocean and not be brought into the aquarium trade b/c they are so difficult to keep alive. Particularly since most people want to keep corals in their tanks, these critters don't do well in tank habitats that are set up for lps/sps. Their needs are different.

You have managed to successfully choose critters that all have the same needs, that is high nutrient tanks that need lots of daily feeding. The sponges, softies, gorgonians, and critters such as the crinoid all will do well in a tank environment that is not suitable for other corals.

My hats off to you!
:smile:

Basile

All those sponges of yours are essentially acting like the protein skimmer. Sponges filter water very fast and efficiently (and they also take in phosphates), therefore it makes sense to stop your protein skimming for 12 hrs each day.

I'm very happy you were able to keep that crinoid alive. Crinoids and basket stars are two animals that should stay in the ocean and not be brought into the aquarium trade b/c they are so difficult to keep alive. Particularly since most people want to keep corals in their tanks, these critters don't do well in tank habitats that are set up for lps/sps. Their needs are different.

You have managed to successfully choose critters that all have the same needs, that is high nutrient tanks that need lots of daily feeding. The sponges, softies, gorgonians, and critters such as the crinoid all will do well in a tank environment that is not suitable for other corals.

My hats off to you!
:smile:

Thanks well i took in these tow creature because they were dying in the store and the owner knew my tank and asked me if i would take them because no one would take them because of that. So i did research before hand what it involved, and considering what i was dosing everyday i decided to give it a try. And thats what he said to if anyone can make it work you can your system is geared up for it.

By the way i have natural sponges growing everywhere in the shadows lol orange blue, and red ones hahaha so yes the skimmer off has promoted the natural growth of natural sponges . my water is ver clear and clean, but with sufficient nutrient as well.

I do how ever have a major irritant; flat worms and i've tried everything and i'm getting very discouraged. i'm trying again a Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) but i did have one that never had the taste for them and jumped 5 months later grrrrr. worm exit was of no use, the slug never got one and i'm told my fishes will eat it before it can do any good.

Thanks for your kind words.

Oxylebius

I'm aware of all your sponges, I've been following your thread for a couple years now. :biggrin:

As for the flatworms. They are such a nuisance. I wouldn't go the chemical route due to all the more sensitive critters that you have. Most, if not all, the Macropharyngodon wrasses stay small. So the addition wouldn't add too much to your tank. My Macropharyngodon wrasse went for flatworms right away. Just something to consider.

Basile

I hope not too many set backs, for you or your tank.
Welcome back to the group!
:grouphug5:

Well i had a very good established system so that helped. It still there; but the fragile stuff is gone and the money trail is for the moment gone. Will take a while to get back on it.

Basile

Friends gave me some salt to help me out actually lol to keep me going hehe . But i know what you mean. After my 67 G blow out 10 years ago i came back with this monster system..... Maybe i should make a video of the tank ;about after being in hospital and how things survived without me and proper care lol hehe ......

Basile

How's it going?

Hi guys, sory for the long silence; i've been hospitalized againt and have been busy with lawyers to fight with the insurances. 4 out of 5 didn't pay and honnor their contracts. So i"m basically ruined. Being on medical for more than 2 years now and, well long story short; broke and living or surviving would be a better word. The tanks are still going but unable to sustain the nourishment regime because of my lack of funds, i've lost some bioload. But she's still going and nice according to friends. I don't dare make videos or take pictures anymore lol. My work basically killed me and now i'm just waiting for the resolution of those court cases. They owe me basically $ 250 000 in back paiments and other.

So i've exausted myself trying to win againts insurance companies. Thats the my karma i guess, lol. Still laughing anyway. Take care guys i'm not finish yet!!

StirCrayzy

Glad your still kickin !
I'm sure Canadian insurance is just like ours, they make their $$ tying up yours in court until you are ruined and give up.

Go get em, hope you can get it all squared away ... Eventually.
:cheers: