Ok folks,I figured out the problem with over heating!!!

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
Glenn has quoted temperatures between 83 and 86? I am talking about the temperature affecting protein skimming.

Has 'Randy Homes-Farley' written any books? I've never heard of him, not here in the UK.

Where is Bruce, since he started all this lol?

Triggerfish

Actually in that article Randy says:
Nevertheless, Ron Shimek has shown in a previous article that the greatest variety of corals are found in water whose average temperature is about 83-86° F.

And he then closes the section on temperature with:
All things considered, I recommend temperatures in the range of 76-83° F unless there is a very clear reason to keep it outside that range.

He is an extremely well-respected aquarist in the US, has written plenty of articles, but I don't know whether he's authored any books.

pocketreef

My peanuts. Scuba diving in waters below 23C I could only find sun corals and zoanthids. Warmer the water more interesting things could be found, such as brain corals ~25C and a lot more fish. This is my experience with the South Atlantic. I like to keep my tanks at ~27.5C. Above 30 some corals will seem less happy, my xenias would start to melt, coral diseases will spread quicker ( I remember an issue with fungus on zoas). Everything will happen faster from fish hunger to parasite reproduction.:scram:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for the replies... interesting & informative...

I live in the deep south (USA) Arkansas, about as hot & humid as it gets in the summer, I don't run a chiller on my 130D, keep my house temp (air conditioning - everyone one has it & runs it around the clock all summer) at 73-75 degrees F, I have never ran a fan either on my 130D, my temps range from 79-81 today (very hot day), it at 80.6

I don't think from reading it would hurt my coral at 86, but it makes since to not keep ones tank at 86. My coral seems to be thriving at 80-81 & I think in the winter I am going to turn up heater to that...

If 250's won't stay below say... 83 degrees without a chiller... does seem like rsm should address this & from reading this thread it seems like the skimmer pump is the problem....

Back on topic... 250 skimmer pump is the problem... (sorry for side track, I was not sure how hot they were getting) I would not want to have to run a chiller if I didn't have to... it was one big reasons I selected a 130D & if I upgrade one day to a 250, I would really like rsm to make it work, like my 130D currently does - no chiller - this seems very doable to me... if I don't need one on my 130D, why would I have to have one on a 250 ???? hmmmmm ????

David Shaw

This is an issue for the 130D also.

The stock skimmer adds on average 2 degrees to the temp. I switched the stock skimmer to the Tunze, as many others have done, and the temp dropped by 2 degrees and is now a stable 79/80 degrees day and night. Also the Tunze is silent and produces far more stable foam.

Also, i know that micro bubbles are an issue for many. The minute i replaced the skimmer with the Tunze there were absolutely no micro bubbles whatsoever. It has been running a week now and i have had absolutely no micro bubbles since replacing.

The stock skimmer seems to be a major flaw. Issues of temp, skimmer improvement and noise issues are all addressed and solved by replacing it. Shame a similar type of skimmer isn't fitted as standard to the RSM.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
no problems here on my 130D...

or I guess I would be contacting pinky too :)

I know lots & lots of people have changed out / upgraded their skimmers on the 130 ... I guess red sea considers the skimmer to be what it is...

% wise... the people who upgraded their skimmers on a 130, invested a lot more than the 250 owners would... as related to the over all cost...

David Shaw

I replaced my stock skimmer (RSM 103D) with the Tunze 9002

No more micro bubbles, temp now leveled off to a steady 79/80, and it is practically silent.

David Shaw

No modifications needed. Just take out the stock skimmer and replace with the Tunze. It fits right in. The only slight issue is that it has a round cup and when you open the lid into position 2, it can catch slightly. All you do it tilt the cup skimmer when closing the lid from the 2nd position. All flaps close normally.

If you open the plug socket on the tunze, you see that inside the plug it has the RSM two pronged power fitting inside it, so it will plug directly into the power unit as the stock slimmer does now and you can use the skimmer button in the control panel as normal then - you dont need another plug socket.

However, the media rack seller guy has also made a square cup for the tunze which you can order (mine is in the mail) - see previous posting.

Main reason for my switching was the noise and it has the added benefits of being a better skimmer and no heat issues.

I have a Tunze 9002 for sale, brand new in the box, never opened. Anyone interested let me know.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
atsugi -
welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif
to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM crew!

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
Sorry, I'm going around in circles here with the multiple posts.

Has anyone fitted a Tunze 9002 in their RSM 250?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Has anyone fitted a Tunze 9002 in their RSM 250?

I would think you could run a 9002 in the 250...

it's rated for 200 litres (52 US gal) & with live rock, that would work, I would think & if you believe it's 10% better than the stock rsm skimmer it would surely skim as much. Then the 250 owners would/could have the same choice all the 130 owners have to replace their stock skimmer & it could solve the heat issues too in the 250's. In fact, I don't see why in a 250, you could not run two 9002's...

I don't have a 250, so not sure... but those who do, would this not be an option?

Anyone else have thoughts or opinions on this?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
atsugi - U R welcome ! Do you have a 130? If so, tell us about it & start a tank thread & post us some pics, would love to follow along :)

and...

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary & the RSM owners forum, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif