Ok folks,I figured out the problem with over heating!!!

brucewrs

Its the protein skimmer. For all those with the RSM250 this is the problem.

Happened last night at 2AM...I hear my chiller go on for 1 minute shut off and go back on 3 minutes later.I timed it fo 1 hour.Then I shut of the protein skimmer(which was working).The chiller would go on for 1min 30seconds and shut off 10 min and 15 seconds..These are the average times within 1 hour time span.No lights on..Yep,stayed up until 4am..

Something has to be done with the skimmer pump.I am still having start up issues with the new impeller.If the power goes out it will not go on without me taking it out and turning the impeller and placing it back into the water..

The pump they use over heats the water.:nono:

This just started happening last night with the pump over heating the water.My chiller had always turned on around every 10 minutes.Like I stated before,I shut off the protein skimmer and everything is normal with the chiller,goes on every 10 min....
Any ideas RSM?I am kind of annoyed spending all this money and having so many issues with the protein skimmer.I have another skimmer in my sump(thank God) but thats not the point.

Yup I noticed the same thing!!! When my skimmer impeller was not working my temp was perfect even without the cooling fans. Now that my skimmer is working again, my temp is too high even with cooling fans! I think its kind of false-advertisement when you tell the consumer you don't need to buy anything else in this system yet here we are with over-heating tanks! I will contact my lawyer regarding this issue unless RSM comes out with a new non-heating skimmer pump.

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
Have you spoke to anyone at RedSea Lakers? I've spoke with other Max 250 owners that are thinking about a Class Action... But I'm waiting to see if RedSea are going to come up with something, I'm gonna trust them for the time being.... and just wait it out... Speak to Pinky...?

Blurp

:D:D:D They can charge more for a tank that is as should be...
Even so, still the best compact solution, and, at least, they answer questions openly and deal directly with users.

Have you spoke to anyone at RedSea Lakers? I've spoke with other Max 250 owners that are thinking about a Class Action... But I'm waiting to see if RedSea are going to come up with something, I'm gonna trust them for the time being.... and just wait it out... Speak to Pinky...?

Yes I have spoken to Pinky about it and she said they are aware of it. She also told me she recommends I get a chiller. The only reason I bought the RSM is cause its an all in one so I didn't have to buy any other piece of equipment for the tank to work perfectly. The chiller should only be an option not mandatory! I am definitely interested in Class Action!

RaysReef

I understand Lakers, remember my impeller broke too. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as they are 'aware of it'. How does Pinky sound? Was she nice/pleasant to you?

Let's give them 2 months from now....

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I doubt it will be this year... I would guess in 2010, but if like the 130D, when they did release new version, they made upgrades available for the 130's & at reasonable prices too...

Nowellsy SNR

Would be a hard pill to swallow when it does come out just hope it doesnt look better lol

I would want one knowing me

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
One note worth sharing...

I just read am article Terry linked to in another post by Randy-Holmes Farley and it said "the greatest variety of corals are found in water whose average temperature is about 83-86° F. "

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

If this is the case, why would it hurt our reef tanks to run at a temp like 83?

How hot in fahrenheit are the 250's getting, above?

makes me think, I want to run my tanks at 82, is this flawed logic?

RaysReef

Red Sea Max 250 Skimmer Pump Overheating

Temperature affects protein skimming! As temperature increases, surface tension decreases. At higher temperatures the formation of a stable dry foam is impeded. The ideal temperature for reef aquariums is between 21-27 degrees C. (70-80F) (24 degrees C seems perfect). Outwith these temperatures, not all active materials will be removed from solution by the skimmer.

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Randy Holmes-Farley is definitely a professional. Although he makes the statement quoted by Glenn, he also states:

"All things considered, those natural guidelines leave a fairly wide range of acceptable temperatures. I keep my aquarium at about 80-81° F year-round. I am actually more inclined to keep the aquarium cooler in the summer, when a power failure would most likely warm the aquarium, and higher in winter, when a power failure would most likely cool it."

My tank peaks at about 79.9 - 80.3, with no chiller (130 with a dual cooling fan), and a bit cooler in the winter. But, I keep the house cool, and that helps. I also think my raised hood helps, as well as getting rid of the monster pump that came with my long ago removed RSM skimmer.