Nobby's S-650

SPR

Gggrrrr, I've had my Nitrates and Phos creep up again, and it's a NOPOX problem AGAIN ! I had fitted some non-return valves on all the lines that dose, and the NOPOX looks as though it has fused/melted the insides of the non-return valve and blocked it up, resulting in no NOPOX being dosed for a while. I only started to look around as I noticed some red blotches on my normally pristine white sand.
So, be careful when dosing NOPOX. Make sure you have a proper silicone tube and not normal 'air tube' stuff. Don't let it near anything Acrylic.

Yes you need special silicone tubing or it will destroy the tube eventually. Also either use the container is comes in to store it with a hose into it and a hose out to stop evaporation otherwise it will destroy the dosing container if it’s normal plastic/acrylic.

I’m currently on 28ml of Nopox per day (yes which is roughly twice the maximum recommended dose!) and the tank looks beautiful and the water is crystal clear.

Nobbygas

Ooooo, I'm tempted by the Ecotech Vectra M2 coupled with an Ecotech Battery Backup unit with the additional Vectra Backup Battery Booster. Apparently, this Booster is recommended if the Pump is used as a Return Pump.
I quite like the idea of the Battery Backup. When you look at what we spend on our tanks it's really only a few quid for something that is like an Insurance Policy. I've not had any major power outages at home, but I have to assume that it is very possible that at some point I will. If there is a power outrage during the night for example, I'm not going to know about it until I wake up, and those hours without power could be killing the tank.

Thinking....thinking........

SPR

Ooooo, I'm tempted by the Ecotech Vectra M2 coupled with an Ecotech Battery Backup unit with the additional Vectra Backup Battery Booster. Apparently, this Booster is recommended if the Pump is used as a Return Pump.
I quite like the idea of the Battery Backup. When you look at what we spend on our tanks it's really only a few quid for something that is like an Insurance Policy. I've not had any major power outages at home, but I have to assume that it is very possible that at some point I will. If there is a power outrage during the night for example, I'm not going to know about it until I wake up, and those hours without power could be killing the tank.

I think you 100% right, you will sleep much easier.......

Pancho75

Go!, go!, go!......
and then let’s us know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

Thank you
You are more than welcome :)
I conducted some tests where I tested Calc, Mag and Phos with Salifert and Red Sea kits, and at the same time took a sample to send for an ICP test. The Salifert results corresponded with the ICP results in Calc and Mag. Red Sea kits tend to produce higher results. Both Salifert and Red Sea were the same for Phos, but the Salifert kit is almost impossible to read, whereas the Red Sea one is much easier, so I use that for Phos.

Nobbygas

Tsk, got my dates wrong and it's next week that I'm Home Alone, not this week ! However, during a quick trip to the LFS on Saturday to get some frozen food, I did notice that they had a really nice Japanese Tang. If he's still there next week, he's coming home with me.

Nobbygas

C'mon then, who is going to be the first to try this? Basically, I am still a child and I love things like this, a Remote Control Submarine with a camera. Get those shots of the tank that are impossible to get from other means.
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01BL3DRVI/
61TMFz1vLTL._SL1037_.jpg

Nobbygas

We had a bit of fun talk about the ALR2, which is rated for a tank of 1000L. The ALR3 is rated for a 2000L tank, but what about the ALR1? I can't seem to find what size tank that will suit. The reason I ask is that the ALR2 needs a throughput of between 1500lph and 2000lph, which will mean quite a beefy pump. The ALR1 only needs between 1000lph and 1500lph. Any ideas?

Nobbygas

Ah, found it...

ALR1 - Up to 500 litre system / 1000 - 1500lph throughput
ALR2 - Up to 1000 litre system / 1500 - 2000lph throughput
ALR3 - Up to 2000 litre system / 2000 - 2500lph throughput

SPR

Ah, found it...

ALR1 - Up to 500 litre system / 1000 - 1500lph throughput
ALR2 - Up to 1000 litre system / 1500 - 2000lph throughput
ALR3 - Up to 2000 litre system / 2000 - 2500lph throughput
We (me anyway) need at least the ALR2 and maybe in my case with bioload the ALR3

Im still using Nopox on high dosage (28ml/day) so I’m going to keep increasing until Nitrate drops a little, because I like to be in control. This is however primarily because I’ve dropped/stopped doing regular water changes. It’s only around 18-20ppm anyway so not bad but I want it a bit lower, just because....

I just like the idea of the ALR reactors and even having one outside my sump potentially.

If I don’t do the upgrade I might get one, and maybe the NYOS torq as I like those as well, something more to fiddle with! Lol

Collo

We need at least the ALR2 and maybe in my case with bioload the ALR3

Im still using Nopox on high dosage (28ml/day) so I’m going to keep increasing until Nitrate drops a little, because I like to be in control. This is however primarily because I’ve dropped/stopped doing regular water changes. It’s only around 18-20ppm anyway so not bad but I want it a bit lower, just because....

I just like the idea of the ALR reactors and even having one outside my sump potentially.

If I don’t do the upgrade I might get one, and maybe the NYOS torq as I like those as well, something more to fiddle with! Lol
Where are you thinking of locating it? they look pretty big. I
Ref the Torq, I'm very happy with mine, I was a little worried there maybe a trickle sound but its silent. I went for the 1l reactor size and got 2 as I thought the 2l would be too big, in hindsight I should have got the 2l ones as they have a bigger diameter rather than being taller.

SPR

Ref the Torq, I'm very happy with mine, I was a little worried there maybe a trickle sound but its silent. I went for the 1l reactor size and got 2 as I thought the 2l would be too big, in hindsight I should have got the 2l ones as they have a bigger diameter rather than being taller.

If it was the ALR2 probably in the sump compartment, but I could also house it at the rear back of my tank (out of site) if I was going outside and if I did I would probably get the ALR3

I’m running full Nopox dosing with rhowaphos at the moment, but it might be something for you to consider at this stage...... and then you can tell us and review it........

Only joking, but seriously, if I was doing a refugium for nutrient export, I would just get one. When I tried the refugium it just made the sump messy and dirty with the light on most of the time and other things growing

And I agree, I would get the 2 litre Torq as well.

Pancho75

Is the Torq a good reactor? I am giving it a thought to run biopellets...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

What media do you put in your Torq?