Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

Has anyone replaced any of the Circulation Pumps in the Rear Chamber on an S Series yet? If so, what did you go for?
I'm looking at the NYOS Viper 2.0 at the moment.
The Sicce Circulation Pumps are the noisiest part of my tank. No matter how I move/shift/arrange them they produce noise. One of them is slightly broken, so I'm thinking of replacing just that one as a sort of test.

Nobbygas

Mmm, am I right in saying that the rear circulation pumps produce something like 1500lph or is it nearer to 2000lph?
It's the difference between the Viper 2.0 and the Viper 3.0.

Pancho75

I checked the specs in the Red Sea site but those not provide the flow. I had a thought about doing this move and probably the best would be to get variable pumps to be able to have random flow to try to replicate better a real reef environment.

I checked the Sicce variable pumps but are not so common on this side of the Atlantic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

I checked the specs in the Red Sea site but those not provide the flow. I had a thought about doing this move and probably the best would be to get variable pumps to be able to have random flow to try to replicate better a real reef environment.

I checked the Sicce variable pumps but are not so common on this side of the Atlantic.

Yeah, I couldn't find anything on the Red Sea site that details the flow-rate of the circulation pumps.

Collo

Has anyone replaced any of the Circulation Pumps in the Rear Chamber on an S Series yet? If so, what did you go for?
I'm looking at the NYOS Viper 2.0 at the moment.
The Sicce Circulation Pumps are the noisiest part of my tank. No matter how I move/shift/arrange them they produce noise. One of them is slightly broken, so I'm thinking of replacing just that one as a sort of test.

Does your tank have the foam/rubber matting glued to the glass on the inside of the chamber to stop the pumps vibrating?

Pancho75

Yeah, I couldn't find anything on the Red Sea site that details the flow-rate of the circulation pumps.
Have you try to set foams under the pumps like the one in the return pump?

One of my circulation pumps was noisy at the beginning and I place a foam under, the noise is eliminated, the main noise for me was the C-Skim and now is just a bad memory since the Nyos Quantum arrived last year.

Nobbygas

Have you try to set foams under the pumps like the one in the return pump?

One of my circulation pumps was noisy at the beginning and I place a foam under, the noise is eliminated, the main noise for me was the C-Skim and now is just a bad memory since the Nyos Quantum arrived last year.

i've tried bits of foam/sponge but..........today I bought one NYOS Viper 3.0 pump.I will fit this in the next few days and provide a review.

Pancho75

i've tried bits of foam/sponge but..........today I bought one NYOS Viper 3.0 pump.I will fit this in the next few days and provide a review.
I kept digging and found this for the S-500, I couldn’t find the S-650 details but I guess the only difference would be the number of pumps in the back chamber.
2c611af4ac072ffc822c020546717919.jpg

SPR

I’m actually tempted to try out an MP40 or something for flow, it would be so much easier than cleaning those rear pumps (I hate that job!) and would be barley noticeable especially if you can get away with 1

Pancho75

I’m actually tempted to try out an MP40 or something for flow, it would be so much easier than cleaning those rear pumps (I hate that job!) and would be barley noticeable especially if you can get away with 1
Well, I was looking at it also and reading the Nyos pumps, they are great and claim to be almost 100% maintenance free. I really appreciate the fact the RS Max has no cables in the glass. How often do you clean the rear chamber? I do it only once a year.... buying the Nyos pumps as @Nobbygas with a controller to have variable flow plus VCA random flow plugs it is really appealing to me.

SPR

Well, I was looking at it also and reading the Nyos pumps, they are great and claim to be almost 100% maintenance free. I really appreciate the fact the RS Max has no cables in the glass. How often do you clean the rear chamber? I do it only once a year.... buying the Nyos pumps as @Nobbygas with a controller to have variable flow plus VCA random flow plugs it is really appealing to me.

Me to and we have a tester! Lol

Nobbygas

Right, hold off with the MP40 for a while. I've got the Viper 3.0 which is rated at a max of 2800lph. The current circulation pimps are rated at 2150lph, so the Viper has more Ooomph.
Now, it may be that four of these will provide that extra circulation you are looking for Shaun, without the need to stick anything on the glass or have wires hanging around. The old four pumps combined pump 8600lph, and four of these will pump 11200lph, so off the top of my head that's about a 25% increase? If you want even more power, there is the Viper 5.0 which is rated to between 1000lph and 5000lph.
Upon inspection the Viper looks to be slightly smaller than the existing pumps, but it feels well-made.The claim is that they will last longer, and be virtually maintenance free. Only time will show that. It comes with a simple connector that will connect to the existing 'green tube' that goes back to the tank, so it's just a case of replacing the pump. Pretty easy even for a bumpkin like me! Is it quieter? Once again I will only know for sure when I install it tonight, but just a quick trial run in the sink shows that it vibrates a lot less than an existing pump in the same conditions.
I will install it tonight.
The only problem I can see is the cable length. It comes with a 1.5m cable. This is probably ok for the first and second pumps in the line, but the third and fourth will either need an extension, or I don't know if NYOS supply any of the pumps with a longer cable (on request?). I'll try and find out from them.

Nobbygas

Is it my impression or we are becoming Nyos junkies?

Are we becoming NYOS junkies? As Shaun said, they make some good stuff, which brings me nicely onto the NYOS Tork! One of the things I did like about this is the fact there are no external green tubes to worry about, plus it has an integrated pump ! This is what I like about NYOS. They haven't just produced a media reactor the same as everyone else, they've thought of something new.
So, everything fitted together well. It was a bit of a pain getting it set-up with the media. I think that was down to the instructions not being really specific and me being a bit thick. The cable length is 1.5m which is plenty to reach the power centre. I placed it in the main Sump compartment, to the left and at the back.It really has a small footprint and doesn't take up much space. When I switched it on I had it on the lowest setting. After it had filled with water and settled down a bit I moved it up a couple of settings. Another 15 minutes and I could see the Rowaphos tumbling nicely. I put Active Carbon in the bottom section and Rowaphos in the top section. The only noise is the sound of the water trickling back down, but this has been explained as normal and should stop once the outside has developed a 'film'.
For those that haven't seen one of these working there are no 'in and out' green tubes. It is a complete standalone unit with an integral pump. The water moves up the main body and then comes out of the top to run down the outside of the body. You can control the flow from the pump just by turning the main body from the top, which means you don't even get your hands wet.
So far so good. It looks nice, the fine flow control is fantastic and so much better than having to pull the pump out and try to move the control dial to change the flow. It is also silent.

SPR

It’s interesting to read they are almost 100% maintenance free, because the Red Sea ones are as well.

Me and @Nobbygas only clean them once a year if that, so does that qualify as nearly maintenance free! Lol

The NYOS pumps do look good and I’ve no doubt when our ‘tester’ reports back it will be positive

@Nobbygas as our newly elected official tester, will the NYOS Torq fit in the return chamber with the pump do you think? The diameter shows just 10cm

I really, really really want one, sorry need one. Infact I might just get one to look at.......

Nobbygas

It’s interesting to read they are almost 100% maintenance free, because the Red Sea ones are as well.

Me and @Nobbygas only clean them once a year if that, so does that qualify as nearly maintenance free! Lol

The NYOS pumps do look good and I’ve no doubt when our ‘tester’ reports back it will be positive

@Nobbygas as our newly elected official tester, will the NYOS Torq fit in the return chamber with the pump do you think? The diameter shows just 10cm

I really, really really want one, sorry need one. Infact I might just get one to look at.......
I don't think it will fit in with the Return Pump. I don't have any spare space in there ! I got the 2.0 Body, and as that is tallish the best place for it is back and left in the main chamber, that way you never have to reach over it to get to the Skimmer etc.

Nobbygas

Got to be honest.
Last night I thought I'd do a fancy video on unpacking and assembling the NYOS Torq. It would have been my first foray into this Internet World as such. This time next year I could be an Internet Millionaire or maybe talent spotted by Steven Spliberg! The World could have been my Oyster !
My first attempt ended when I couldn't even find out how to open the box, even though I had already opened it before-hand. Not a good start.
So, the second take was going very well. I had assembled the Dock and explained that. I had gone through the Torq Body. I even showed how to fill it with Media. I put the Body onto the Dock, lifted it up, the Dock fell off, and all the media inside, both Carbon and Rowaphos, fell out of the bottom onto the table/floor. I hadn't got it right.
At this point I realised that Internet Stardom was just not my thing, and I switched off the camera in disgust, disappointment and humiliation, while muttering to myself that I'd maybe 'take a couple of photos tomorrow'.
After cleaning it all up I grabbed a couple of beers. Maybe the World is not ready yet for me to be unleashed.

SPR

Got to be honest.
Last night I thought I'd do a fancy video on unpacking and assembling the NYOS Torq. It would have been my first foray into this Internet World as such. This time next year I could be an Internet Millionaire or maybe talent spotted by Steven Spliberg! The World could have been my Oyster !
My first attempt ended when I couldn't even find out how to open the box, even though I had already opened it before-hand. Not a good start.
So, the second take was going very well. I had assembled the Dock and explained that. I had gone through the Torq Body. I even showed how to fill it with Media. I put the Body onto the Dock, lifted it up, the Dock fell off, and all the media inside, both Carbon and Rowaphos, fell out of the bottom onto the table/floor. I hadn't got it right.
At this point I realised that Internet Stardom was just not my thing, and I switched off the camera in disgust, disappointment and humiliation, while muttering to myself that I'd maybe 'take a couple of photos tomorrow'.
After cleaning it all up I grabbed a couple of beers. Maybe the World is not ready yet for me to be unleashed.
Lol!

Stick to words and pictures! Lol