nob35's S650

Nob35

Not sure but I spoke to quickly because they only did it for a couple hours and are now leaving it alone. Will be watching to see if they go back.

Nob35

Clowns are taking to the nem slowly and the female sleeps in it at night now. I also started the build process with vidarock. I sent them this picture as a base line to go off of. Hope it comes out nice, it was a pic from their homepage.

Nob35

Hoping it comes out as nice as the picture. They said it takes 8 to 10 weeks and I'm 2 weeks in now so still a while to go before they send pics to see if any changes need to be made.

Wolffman64

Are you ripping out the whole scape then? How do you do that with a tank that is full of corals and fish, since I assume that the new rock must be cycled (and not everyone can have another 14 tanks plugged in in the basement like Mike...)?

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
I think it comes in sections so you could in theory only remove some of the original LR whilst each piece takes up biological dutys.

Nob35

I'm planning to take only a few pieces out at one time while adding the new pieces. I will also place some of the original pieces in the sump for a while. I will not be doing like choff and replacing my sand so that should help also. Most of my corals are on small pieces of rock so hoping I can transfer them over. My LFS will be taking all my old live rock to sell for store credit. Think the hardest thing will be making sure I keep all the inverts in the tank and not smash any when I start moving the rocks.

Choff

Hey Nob, gratz on the vidarock. I love it. I used the same Pict from their homepage as my basis as well. A couple of notes, those are extra pieces under the arch. They won't include them unless you ask them to add companion pieces and those will be extra $$. When they ship it, they will break the arch into 3 pieces. It actually make sense and you can't tell when you put it back together. I didn't even need to use anything to cement it in. It's very stable just laying on top of the other 2 pieces. The shipping create is ginormous and they're are bags and bags of spray foam to throw away.

If you didn't do it, make sure you have them purple it up. Looks really good. They also have an option to cut frag plug holes throughout the piece. I asked them to do it, but they didn't. I'm actually glad they didn't. Tons of places to place corals.

Looking forward to seeing it! Just be patient. They notified me it was done and said they would send picts. Got those 10 days later. I approved it and said ship it. Took them 4 days to respond and charge me. Took another 7 days before they shipped. Basically took them 2 months to get to my build and then it was delivered about a month after they started. It was worth the wait.

...stupid auto correct

Nob35

Haha we may end up having the same exact piece. Did you tell them you wanted to take up the entire bottom and they made it a bit to small or did you want it a bit smaller? I told them I wanted it to 48"x14"x18". I did tell them to add purple and plug holes in it. I also told them to add a couple barnacles to each side. The main thing I told them was to have the least amount touching sand as possible. I have some old rock that I'm going to try and keep in the tank that has mushrooms on for filler pieces, if it still is not enough I will add one of their other pieces later.
I think I should be hearing back from them in a week or two, I received the estimate and told them to proceed a couple weeks ago. How did your transfer go did you get rid of your old rock out of the sump yet?

Choff

Great idea on the barnacles!

I get the feeling they kind of just do their own thing. The dimensions I gave were almost the same (46x14x15) . I'm glad they screwed up because I like having a second island, but I am going to change what I have now. I'm going to use the best pieces of my old rock to make the structure. My one knock on this stuff is there is really no places for little critters to hide.

I still have about 1/3 of the rock left in my sump. In really in no hurry to pull it. One of these days in going to get my matrix reactor online. I may leave the remaining rock in place until that is up and running. You may want to look into Matrix, particularly for the anaerobic properties.

What it's awesome is how open the bottom. Nothing can really accumulate giving it a really clean look. With all the new sand and rock I am experiencing an algae cycle like a new tank, but nothing severe and it's starting to abate without me taking any action at all.

...stupid auto correct

Nob35

Sounds good, can't wait to get it. I have 100lbs of sand in the tank so hopefully will not have to add more. I started taking out some smaller pieces of rock to let the tank adjust to a bit more bio load. I will not have enough room to keep most of the rock in the sump but will try to keep as much as possible. When I get it in I'm going to move as much rock as I can to the sump and pack the new pieces in the DT with the rest of the old, then slowly take out the old until I can set up the new.
I like the idea of no hiding places to start so I can decide where and how many I will put in using the old rock. I also like the idea that I will get to see some of the fish and other critters more often with not as many places to hide. If they make it a little to the small side like yours I will probably do the same and add a bonsai or something. Looking forward to all the open sand just wondering if I will need to get 2 sand sifters to keep it clean.

Choff

I'm actually very happy now that it was small. It allowed me to add in the other pieces I had. I still have a few left over that could end up in my refugium.

The zero hiding is really cool. I put in 2 porcelain crabs and I can pretty much find them with in a few minutes. Lucky for them there is nothing in the tank that is hunting them. I'm going to add some pom pom again. I love critters!

I do suggest getting a lot of nerite snails. If you have the intricate branching across the top like mine the other snails fall off all the time. I'm flipping snails over more than ever.

...stupid auto correct

Nob35

Luckily I have all snails that can flip themselves as my hippo loves taking them to the top of the tank and dropping them. I will be ordering more CUC once I have the rocks so good to know about nerites. I have had a Pom Pom in the tank since the beginning but only see him every 8 months or so. I will be glad to see more of him and other things that I will add later. I need to decide if I want a few other fish before I make up my mind on other inverts.

Nob35

Tired of waiting on rocks so decided to add a fish. Orange spot blenny.
64815042bdd7ef9ebdc21db73bcd9246_zps6190da51.jpg

a86c1539155c31c17c3d73afd7381ae3_zps8c3f9b61.jpg

Nob35

Last I heard was that they were retooling to be able to produce pieces faster but it has slowed them down to nothing being built. Hope it will not be much longer or I may have to start looking at alternatives. With my tank in a holding pattern some things like my nems, toadstools, hairy mushrooms are doing great while others are not. It's been hard not ordering anything. Trying to hold off till I change the rocks and get them colonized.

Choff

You've waited this long, hang in there. It's so worth it. I think it just keeps getting better. Mines only been in the tank 2 months and I think it already looks like real rock. I'm about to post short video of my tank. Check it out.

Edit: actually if you have not seen it, check out the video before it with the leopard wrasse. You can see the stuff close up.