nob35's S650

Nob35

Hello
I'm new to the forums. I just received my RSM 650 Friday and have it half way set up. I am modifying the sump so will be a couple weeks before it has water in it. I am taking the inside partitions in the sump and getting new glass to change the configuration will be putting in a 4"x7" sock filter, a larger space for refugium with miracle mud and a space to hold extra live rock.i currently have a JBJ 28 nano cube which I will be move all inhabitants in to the 650 once set up. Would post pics but it says all my pics are to large to upload and I'm not sure what to do to make the file size smaller on a iPad .

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
2dbe2faa3ebb31a5906078f4e98bceb8_zpsfcb1d154.jpg

Cheers - thanks for starting a tank thread and sharing your beautiful new white RSM 650 ! I copied a pic here to the RSM Club from your Meet & Greet post :dance:

Look forward to seeing it come to life !

Nob35

Does anyone know of somebody who has converted there T5's on a rsm650 to LEDs I want to change them to LEDs to keep from having to get a chiller but not sure which way to go. I would like to keep the housing the T5's are in and just mount the LEDs in there place. I'm also considering 4 maxspect mazarra p fixtures I just wish they came in white. I would like feedback on what I'm considering and opinions on the maspect's quality. also any ideas on a better systems. The tank will be mostly a FOWLR for a while but I want it capable of handling any corals I would want to put in it later.

Pics of my nano cube that will be moving to the 650
9a8f4619d051c5f92a6b2d129e22f937_zpsf07630d3.jpg

43c8025c7ad6c3648f5967f1cf8b19e7_zpsa4639c27.jpg

Oh and by the way the xenia's will not be making the move I don't want them taking over the new tank. Lol

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Oh and by the way the xenia's will not be making the move I don't want them taking over the new tank. Lol

Pretty nanocube & I can relate to this ^ mine stayed with my 130D, when I went to my RSM 250 ;)

David Shaw

They are gonna love their new home! Mine swam around in a frenzy when i released them into the 500. They loved it.

Nob35

It is a little crowded in the cube right now since I have a some dry rock in there that is for the 650. It looked a lot nicer before I started throwing in the extra rock. But I does seem like the fish did not mine! It was half over run by Xenia and the other half was blue anthelia that hitch a ride into the take but I took all the rocks out and scraped the anthelia off

Nob35

The damsel and maybe the clowns may not make the trip to the new tank. Thinking about getting a couple snowflake or photon clowns for new tank

Nob35

They probably would be but will leave them in the cube till I get the new ones in the 650 for a week or two. I would rather the snowflakes pick out there area first since they will probably be the smaller pair. The pair I have right now the female is 2.5" to 3" and can be a bully. I'm going to try to keep the tank peaceful with some reef safe wrasses,anthias,tangs and a angel not sure what kind yet. I will have other kinds once finished stocking but these will be the bulk of the fish.

Choff

Hey Mob, Gratz on the tank and welcome.
I'm patiently waiting for an led mod to a 650 as well. I actually want to keep some of the t5s and add in some rows of led.

I'm sure you know what you are doing, but watch your nitrates with rock in the sump. Looking forward to seeing some pics of what you did to it. My plan is to remove it totally and put a 150G tank in my basement and plumb it up to the DT. My WC system is already down there and plumbed up.

I'll be following along.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Nob35

Not to sure about what I'm doing this is my first large tank and sump but I have some one that has a lot of tanks giving me some pointers but any advice is welcome. The design of the sump has changed it will not have a space for extra live rock ,instead a larger refugium with miracle mud. It will have a intake chamber for the pipes from the overflows that will spill into a 7"x4" sock filter then into a skimmer area that will have a mid baffle into the refugium with about 25lbs miracle mud then into a over,under,over baffle into the pump area. Will also be putting a GFO and carbon reactor in the chiller area with its own pump to make sure it does not take away from the circulation on the return pump. Also trying to decide if I am going to get 3 or 4 AI Vega's to put in the front T5 area of the canopy they will fit and only hang below the bottom of the canopy by about 1/8th of a inch in the narrower part towards the front of the tank but should not be that noticeable. That will leave me with 6 T5's as back ups or extras.

Nob35

Well I decided to get the AI Vegas to install before I do the full set up. They will be coming in next Wednesday. I will be attempting to install them in the front T5 section of the stock canopy. Should only take a little modification to do it.will be putting in 4 of them, everyone I talked to says should only need 3 but I'm a little worried that they will be so low to the water that they will not get the spread I want. It might be over doing it but then they will last longer if I only have to use them at 60 to 80 percent. I will take pictures of the conversion and post them when I get a chance.

Nob35

Well I got 4 AI Vega Color and installed them in the front T5 section. I first gutted all the T5 equipment then used a Dremel to cut vents for the fans and also cut out sections of the reflector holders to get the Vegas a little further in to the casing. Now all I need is to get my sump back and start adding water and live rock to really see how it will look. With the 4 Vegas it looks brighter than when it had 10 T5's
109c480cb1ae11668f3067b988717956_zps709ada3b.jpg

95f1cfc07fb3fd20db2b0a1cb56e4734_zps54ba07c5.jpg

8ce1fa49b8ef240a8464b2ab129deb09_zps439fe363.jpg

c9a07b4cf9a1ce362d65df5b479f1801_zpsec3003ab.jpg

8f5c6036b5cdd61dc2778955da13e123_zpsf9f851f2.jpg

becf79919c4b65eb57c67b61c8dd2b24_zpsa16fd971.jpg

32fe817d3c633654b5fdbedfbcda06b4_zpsfe9c5233.jpg

cb10e213efaf9b4a9627859d41cfd3f2_zps7e028ec8.jpg

Nob35

Thanks. When looking at the front and sides you can't tell I did anything to it until you get close. They do not hang below the bottom at all. Will get my sump back in a week or so with new glass in then the fun can really begin. I have 70 lbs dry rock with some curing with seeded sand and rock and I also have 80 lbs live real reef rock waiting

Nob35

Thnx. It took a while to get the hood how I wanted it but that could have been my OC just saying a little more each time I tried to quit. Do wish it was about a 1/2 inch deeper so I could put the splash shield back in and put fans inside each sides to get really good air movement but the fans on the lights seem to be doing a good job pulling air through the vents that I cut. It doesn't look like I will have any issued with coverage. If its close to the same with water in it I could grow sps on the sand bed anywhere in the tank.